How Much front bumper weight is significant?

LVMohave

I currently have a stubby bumper that weighs about 86lbs. Was looking at changing to an EVO 1/4 pounder (thanks Wayalife!!) and according to EVO, the steel bumper is 70lbs and the aluminum one is 40lbs. The aluminum is only $287, but really how much difference can the 30lbs make? I realize more weight is "more weight", but when does it become signifcant? Tell me what I do not know, thanks

Last edited:

LVMohave

Don't overthink it. Thread closed.
I'm not sure I am overthinking it - since you really didn't explain anything. the reason I asked is because tire/wheel combo weights seem to matter alot, like changing the combo and saving 8lbs per wheel. (whatever the weight) I'm just wondering if same applies to front bumper weight.

I currently have a stubby bumper that weighs about 86lbs. Was looking at changing to an EVO 1/4 pounder (thanks Wayalife!!) and according to EVO, the steel bumper is 70lbs and the aluminum one is 40lbs. The aluminum is only $113 more which cost wise is negligent, but really how much difference can the 30lbs make? I realize more weight is "more weight", but when does it become signifcant? Tell me what I do not know, thanks
It is useful to lessen weight added to the front or rear of the vehicle. Weight in the front tends to "unload" the back, so there is less traction and stability. While steering, weight at the front or back resists the steering input, whereas, weight at the middle of the vehicle does not.

30lbs may not seem like much, but it all adds up.

If you can afford it, and it otherwise meets your needs, go for the lighter bumper.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I am overthinking it - since you really didn't explain anything. the reason I asked is because tire/wheel combo weights seem to matter alot, like changing the combo and saving 8lbs per wheel. (whatever the weight) I'm just wondering if same applies to front bumper weight.
Honestly, if you really think that 8 lbs per tire/wheel weight matters "a lot", you have been spending way too much time reading nonsense on the internet and not enough time actually getting out and using your Jeep. If anything, the added unsprung weight has real benefits especially on the rocks.

That said, the added weight of a front bumper will cause the front end to sag a bit and if you add too much extra weight, enough so that you'll want or need to help recover it with something like coil spacers.

LVMohave

It is useful to lessen weight added to the front or rear of the vehicle. Weight in the front tends to "unload" the back, so there is less traction and stability. While steering, weight at the front or back resists the steering input, whereas, weight at the middle of the vehicle does not.

If you can afford it, and it otherwise meets your needs, go for the lighter bumper.
ok, I appreciate your reply! I'll get the aluminum

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I admit that I'm new to all this Jeep stuff but honestly, I have NEVER seen any of this be an issue on any of the Jeeps that I've owned and still own - EVER.

What I have seen is aluminum be an issue like grabbing onto rocks and make it harder to slip by obstacles. but hey, what would I know.

LVMohave

Honestly, if you really think that 8 lbs per tire/wheel weight matters "a lot", you have been spending way too much time reading nonsense on the internet and not enough time actually getting out and using your Jeep. If anything, the added unsprung weight has real benefits especially on the rocks.

That said, the added weight of a front bumper will cause the front end to sag a bit and if you add too much extra weight, enough so that you'll want or need to help recover it with something like coil spacers.
Just to clarify, alot of reading I've been doing to learn, never had a Jeep before. Unfortunately the internet is mostly my source of info. Alot of reading I've done people keep saying like 8lbs less per wheels "rolling mass" is a significant difference. (not my opinion, I do not know) I really dont have alot of time offroading in my Jeep also. I also dont have a different set of tires/wheels that weigh more (or less) to compare. I come here to learn what I can!! Thanks for the input.

Your aluminum comment makes sense, maybe I'll just get steel and save some money and from what I understand from your comments, the 30lbs more for the steel bumper isnt a big deal at all. thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, alot of reading I've been doing to learn, never had a Jeep before. Unfortunately the internet is mostly my source of info. Alot of reading I've done people keep saying like 8lbs less per wheels "rolling mass" is a significant difference. (not my opinion, I do not know) I really dont have alot of time offroading in my Jeep also. I also dont have a different set of tires/wheels that weigh more (or less) to compare. I come here to learn what I can!! Thanks for the input.
Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant to disparage you but rather, to point out that there's a ton of really bad information on the internet, most of which is regurgitated nonsense and all from people who sound like experts. Me, I would never pretend to know more than what the internet has to say but can share what I have learned over the years and through photos and videos. Rolling mass is real but only when accelerating from a stop and really, not enough to really matter. Otherwise, "an object in motion tends to stay in motion". Even when it comes to fuel economy, "rolling resistance" will hurt it more than mass any day of the week and this is something that I have personally tested out and have verified working with companies like Nitto, Toyo, Falken and Cooper. But again, that's just what I've seen and learned over the years and you can take it or leave it.
Your aluminum comment makes sense, maybe I'll just get steel and save some money and from what I understand from your comments, the 30lbs more for the steel bumper isnt a big deal at all. thanks again
What I said is that it isn't enough of a big deal to matter but as I mentioned, it, along with something like a winch, can make the front end of your Jeep sag and as much as an inch. This is significant and something that you'd want or need to address and with something like coil spacers. Just trying to put things into perspective.

Last edited:
I currently have a stubby bumper that weighs about 86lbs. Was looking at changing to an EVO 1/4 pounder (thanks Wayalife!!) and according to EVO, the steel bumper is 70lbs and the aluminum one is 40lbs. The aluminum is only $287, but really how much difference can the 30lbs make? I realize more weight is "more weight", but when does it become signifcant? Tell me what I do not know, thanks

I notice weight difference if I’m driving with a couple passengers vs by myself.

I personally cannot tell the difference with 30 extra pounds.

I will say that the steel bumper has held up well when I slip off rocks while wheeling, or when I T boned a lady who ran a red light. I was grateful for the extra rigidity…good for deer too from what I’ve seen.

I admit that I'm new to all this Jeep stuff but honestly, I have NEVER seen any of this be an issue on any of the Jeeps that I've owned and still own - EVER.

What I have seen is aluminum be an issue like grabbing onto rocks and make it harder to slip by obstacles. but hey, what would I know.
Hopefully rubbing on the bumper is not a factor when going over rocks. 😀

The Jeep bumper is to protect against light bumps and to help with mounting lights and a winch. A really heavy steel bumper attached to a steel frame will not help much for a significant bump since the stress will be transmitted somewhere else in the Jeep (including to the humans inside) where the damage is more expensive to repair.

It is true that 30lbs is not much. It all adds up.

I know someone with a JL Sport who rolled the Jeep into a tree, ruining the light bumper he had installed (the rest of the Jeep was fine). So then he installed a super-stout bumper with the Harbor Freight Badlands winch. Now the Jeep has a serious case of front-end droop (over 1-1/2") which seems at the limit of what leveling kits can fix.

Perhaps it is a philosophical thing but it seems like a good philosophy to only add weight when the benefits exceed the costs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's not a factor, you're not playing on big enough rocks.
The Jeep bumper is to protect against light bumps and to help with mounting lights and a winch. A really heavy steel bumper attached to a steel frame will not help much for a significant bump since the stress will be transmitted somewhere else in the Jeep (including to the humans inside) where the damage is more expensive to repair.
Sorry, that's just nonsense and a bunch of fearmongering without any substance. No bumper short of the plastic one that Jeep installs from the factory OR a direct hit to the crush cans on the substantially heavier steel one will do much if anything to help a light bump. And, if weight were really the issue here, a winch alone would add more than most aftermarket steel ones. When it comes to hits, the strength of the design is what makes all the difference and you're kidding yourself if you really think that a 30 lb lighter aluminum quarter pounder wouldn't transmit the same energy as a steel one in a hit.

I know someone with a JL Sport who rolled the Jeep into a tree, ruining the light bumper he had installed (the rest of the Jeep was fine). So then he installed a super-stout bumper with the Harbor Freight Badlands winch. Now the Jeep has a serious case of front-end droop (over 1-1/2") which seems at the limit of what leveling kits can fix.
A quarter pounder is far from what I would consider a "super stout" bumper. Over the years, I have installed a myriad of steel bumpers and it's probably one of the lightest ones I've installed.
Perhaps it is a philosophical thing but it seems like a good philosophy to only add weight when the benefits exceed the costs.
Maybe it's a philosophical thing but I have found it's a good philosophy to only install parts that benefit the performance of my Jeep.

Ddays

Hooked

I hereby nominate this as dumbest post of the day

Top Bottom