How long can I roll on this???

JK&Beyond

It snowed BIG here in texas a few days ago and I went wheeling. I found an unseen curb with my rear right wheel/tire and put a gouge in the sidewall. Is there a rule on how bad it gets before you need a new tire? The gouge is about 1/2 an inch deep. I have 235/75/R15 Kelly Safari tires so theyre pretty tough. How do I know if I need new tires.

(i tried to upload photos but theyre too big to upload):mad:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just a gouge or is it also blistered? If it's both, I would relegate it to being a spare for now. If it's just a gouge, you might be okay even for a long time. Really just depends on the tire and how thick the sidewalls are.

JK&Beyond

I'm not sure what a blistered tire looks like but i think its only a gouge, and its in the rock guard portion of the tire so it's pretty close to the rim. However I think thats what the rock guards are made for... taking the brunt of a sidewall tear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what a blistered tire looks like but i think its only a gouge, and its in the rock guard portion of the tire so it's pretty close to the rim. However I think thats what the rock guards are made for... taking the brunt of a sidewall tear.

The rubber closest to the rim is the thickest. A blistered sidewall looks just like it sounds, an significant abnormal bulge. I think you'll be fine.

Top Bottom