How are you guys doing?

WJCO

Meme King
That sign is over the top, but try going to the bank and withdrawing over $2500 these days. I was turned down. They claimed they had to put an order in for them to bring in the cash to that particular branch. So I just went outside to the ATM machine (glad I always remember my PIN number) on consecutive days until I got to what I wanted.
Who doesn't remember their PIN number? I know the PIN number for every card I have. I just avoid using the PIN number most places so my PIN number doesn't get stolen.
I write mine down next to my VIN number so it's always there for me to see.

WJCO

Meme King
That sign is over the top, but try going to the bank and withdrawing over $2500 these days. I was turned down. They claimed they had to put an order in for them to bring in the cash to that particular branch.
No kidding. I've heard many stories like this in the last few months.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I’m doing better professionally than at any other time in the last 20 years. I have a great job with an extremely well-diversified company that does about $1B a year in revenue. My family’s financial security is better than it has ever been, and for the first time in my life I actually see retirement in the future as a reality.

I’m not afraid of the future. While there are some bad things going on in the US and abroad, there are also many reasons why now is one of the best times to be alive in the last few hundred years.

That’s not to say I have blinders on or that I am not prepared for the future. To the contrary, I’m more prepared than I have ever been.
Holy shit! Did you just type the R word? I am picking myself off the floor.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Filet mignon every other Sunday these days, the struggle is real. j/k

I for one welcome a recession...

And I hope it will be a short one.

I have relatively young kids and while I planned to retire early (50-55), I recognize I probably have another 8-10 years left working in some fashion or another.

All my losses, which are not insignificant, are just paper losses at this point. I keep buying stocks and looking for investment opportunities.

I was going to buy a Raptor but most places have a $25K premium on top of MRSP. A recession will help correct that nonsense.

For now, I spend money on kid stuff (the majority of our monthly budget), gun classes (new found interest), guns, and travel.

What happens, happens.

The real shit will hit the fan if/when the electric grid goes dark. Good luck!

MTG

Caught the Bug
FedEx is a partial barometer, but not nearly a complete one. Last mile delivery is changing quickly and powerhouses like Amazon and WalMart can easily impact the market in a variety of ways. Last mile drone delivery is growing at a rate that I would have never thought possible even a few years ago.

Sadly, I do think there are a lot of people and a lot of professions that are on the precipice of substantial change…if not extinction. AI is changing the working world at an exponential rate, and it will ultimately replace people in many situations.

The key to survival isn’t buying more gold and bullets, it’s having the intelligence, adaptability, and work ethic to reinvent oneself in changing environments…and to always having the ability to bring something of value to the table.

But more important than any of that theory, I am truly sorry about what your wife and your family are having to endure. :(
@onlyone sorry to hear about your wife. I can't imagine how awful that must be.

@Sharkey interesting. I would have thought FedEx would have been a lagging indicator not a leading indicator. AI will change the game and change it quicker than most can imagine. It's going to be a fun ride for the next decade or so. Curious to see the world our kids will end up living in.

Sylvester

I would agree if it was just the package side. Our freight division is the one taking the largest layoff, closure hit. The manufacturing industry is dead. In 6 months things will look much different. We were at 120-130k shipments per day. We are now in the 70s. That’s worse than we have seen.
That is Pre Covid freight. I don't see it as a downturn so much as a return to Normal.

MTG

Caught the Bug
My use of the word “retirement” does not mean no longer working. I can’t imagine ever not having gainful employment of some kind. I just meant that I might retire from the hard stuff. ;)
I hear you. I'm tired of the hard stuff too, just doesn't interest me anymore. Glad I have a few young attorneys working for me now, they can go fight the good fight.

onlyone

That is Pre Covid freight. I don't see it as a downturn so much as a return to Normal.
No. pre bullshit we were in the 105k area. We have already laid off even more this week. It’s not good. We were running 110-120k in 2021-early 22. At our odd peak, about 10k more than that, in the summer/fall 22. Our bill count keep getting worse, weekly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom