How are you guys doing?

kevman65

Hooked
We're pretty lucky. With having no kids (2 legged that is) it's just us so we don't have to worry about outside drama.

She's retired, I'm 4 years out. Mortgage is on the way downhill side, only other major payment is the JT. I got the loan for 0.9% and I stretched it to 6 years to get the payment down and then double up on the payment as often as I can.

Part of my retirement is locked, it's an actual pension, and until last year I was maxed out, but they changed some wording so now I can increase my monthly draw on the backside. The fluctuating market is screwing with my defined contribution plan, but when things are based on the markets, it's going to happen.

Our choices at the store haven't changed and yes that cost has gone up, but we also don't eat out often so that's kind of a wash.

I know people that are hurting and having to make choices. But, I had to make those choices when I was younger too, have to put aside wants and concentrate on needs.

AZDIESELPIG

I recently checked what we spent last year at Costco since they wanted to upgrade me to Executive - 5K last year

Already this year we have spent 3K and we make the same trips for the same goods. Our grocery bill has probably gone up $200 per month. Here is Tucson gasoline has surpassed Diesel in cost - up over $5 a gallon for gas - Diesel is around $4.50....being at the end of a pipeline sucks.

I am planning to retire in 8-10 years. Hopefully the government does not screw that up.

Oh and the new Federal Money Payment Service - FedNow should be interesting.....seems like an easy way to track any and all CC purchases. Not that the Government would use that info against you....no way...not in America.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How many if you who felt a hit have material items like car payments, credit card debt, cell phone loans, all that other debt? Post after post in here talking about Jeeps almost paid off and this and that and the Jeeps are modified. #priorities

I mean I noticed some prices of things went up like price of gas and my taxes but I can’t say I have noticed any difference with anything else.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With three kids, we've noticed a much bigger pressure in groceries and every day expenses. We have that feeling like something big is near. Like animals before an earthquake, seems obvious that more is to come. We're being very cautious about large purchases of any kind right now.

As far as preparedness, I've had that mentality since about 2007, even before the last crisis. Same gut feeling too before it happened. Not out of paranoia, but rather just seeing the writing on the wall, we've always had supplies on hand to make sure we can get through any practical survival situation. Even for something like a storm or natural disaster. That also goes along with tools and skills. I don't get rid of tools and I'm always willing to learn a new skill. Saves money and may be something I'll have to rely on in the near future.
This is good stuff though. Being prepared for the worst is not a bad thing. Hopefully the worst never comes but being able to deal with it will separate the ones who thrive from the ones that die quick.

benatc1

Hooked
How many if you who felt a hit have material items like car payments, credit card debt, cell phone loans, all that other debt? Post after post in here talking about Jeeps almost paid off and this and that and the Jeeps are modified. #priorities

I mean I noticed some prices of things went up like price of gas and my taxes but I can’t say I have noticed any difference with anything else.
I pretty much only do fixed rates and not much other debt so, good there, but we have a heloc that we’ve used for some home improvement that is stuck at a variable rate, that fucker is up from 3 to 9 percent, so working to get get paid off of course.

jeeeep

Hooked

I track year over year expenses, everything has increased since last year, home property taxes thru the roof, taxes on license registration, cable, phone, utilities , all services the same as the year before, no add-ons etc...

I called the cable company and utilities to find out what extra service I'm getting that justifies the increase? NOTHING, their costs have gone up.

I am a creature of habit, I'm not doing things differently than every other year, except now I am turning off lights that I used to leave on all day.
Went LED lighting thru the entire house years ago.

This whole everyone needs to make a "livable wage" but can continue to be a worthless stupid as fuck employee is bullshit.

Last edited:

rubiDave

We're doing fine. No debts, no jobs & no income other than from investments. We've sold off a few properties too. Fortunately we have good health and are able to care for ourselves. We grow a lot of our own food, we know how to raise poultry and butcher meat, fish etc. And cook for ourselves. Since we've not really been able to travel much since the scamdemic due to vax restrictions we did a remodel room addition & 2 bathrooms. Almost everything done ourselves only hired a few things done. It's taken almost 2 years though.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Honestly, I’m doing better professionally than at any other time in the last 20 years. I have a great job with an extremely well-diversified company that does about $1B a year in revenue. My family’s financial security is better than it has ever been, and for the first time in my life I actually see retirement in the future as a reality.

I’m not afraid of the future. While there are some bad things going on in the US and abroad, there are also many reasons why now is one of the best times to be alive in the last few hundred years.

That’s not to say I have blinders on or that I am not prepared for the future. To the contrary, I’m more prepared than I have ever been.

JAGS

Hooked
I’m counting my blessing on many levels. Just have to be smart about choices, have solid priorities, and little luck doesn’t hurt.

Living within my means, investing as much as possible, saving to finish putting my kids through college, and splurging on things that matter has been my strategy.

Other than being crazy busy, and still rolling in my stock 2018 JL, I’m thankful my wife and I, and our now adult kids, are where we are. Knock on wood.

Top Bottom