Hiking. Day, Thru, Section, Ultralight to Traditional

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

TrailHunter

Hooked

Trail Bud

Hooked
~17 miles and 12ish hours. That was with a bunch of little breaks and slow cruising for the most part and about an hour on the summit farting around and eating lunch.
That’s a good pace ( for me anyways).
was there a lot of traffic coming down?
Where did you start from? Little Yosemite Valley?

TrailHunter

Hooked
~17 miles and 12ish hours. That was with a bunch of little breaks and slow cruising for the most part and about an hour on the summit farting around and eating lunch.
Impressive…Not sure I could pull that off. Whats the total Ascend? Prior to.. and then the Dome?

That’s a good pace ( for me anyways).
was there a lot of traffic coming down?
Where did you start from? Little Yosemite Valley?
Traffic wasn’t bad until Nevada Fall. Then got stupid at Vernal. But by then your in the home stretch. If you meant coming down the cables. I think maybe 3 or 4 people coming up while I was going down. So basically empty. We started from the valley floor at the JMT trailhead in Happy Isles. I’ve always wanted to maybe hike and camp in Little Yosemite Valley and go from there. But haven’t yet.
Impressive…Not sure I could pull that off. Whats the total Ascend? Prior to.. and then the Dome?
You gain just under 5,000 ft. The cables are about 400’ at a 45 degree angle. You could totally do it. It’s really all mental.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Traffic wasn’t bad until Nevada Fall. Then got stupid at Vernal. But by then your in the home stretch. If you meant coming down the cables. I think maybe 3 or 4 people coming up while I was going down. So basically empty. We started from the valley floor at the JMT trailhead in Happy Isles. I’ve always wanted to maybe hike and camp in Little Yosemite Valley and go from there. But haven’t yet.

You gain just under 5,000 ft. The cables are about 400’ at a 45 degree angle. You could totally do it. It’s really all mental.
Going from the floor up Vernal and to the top is one hard core elevation gain. Vernal is intense with any pack.
Thought there would be more traffic on the cables, but good for you.
Try going from Yosemite Valley sometime. It’s nice, but you have to hall up you tent and gear up Vernal Falls.
Congratulations again!

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Approaching the subdome at sunrise..
View attachment 393855
View attachment 393856

It’s so hard to really give any of this justice or give perspective on steepness of the cables. Not the most enjoyable thing on earth… lol

View attachment 393857 .
View attachment 393858 .
View attachment 393859 .

Liberty Cap and Nevada Fall. View attachment 393860 .

And for Brute…

View attachment 393861 .
Looks like an awesome hike! would love to do that one day. How was the permit process?

Looks like an awesome hike! would love to do that one day. How was the permit process?
You have to apply via lottery in March. Only 300 permits are issued a day. We up our chances by every person in our party (6) apply for the dates we want. Sometimes we luck out and get multiple permits so we invite more people. Other times we strike out entirely.

Tons of people flake or something comes up so there is forfeited permits up for grabs via application also.

Then there is luck and a good attitude. Rangers hang out at the base of the subdome to verify permits. You can hang around there or just prior and ask groups that go by if they have any open slots in their party and ask if you can hop in with them.

It’s a fun one that I look forward to doing again.

Top Bottom