Hemi Conversion questions

LVMohave

Im just curious why so expensive to do an engine conversion? I'm just talking about the engine swap, not any extras like suspension, lift, brakes, etc because those choices can vary wildly in price. When I was just "looking" around a typical shop charges around $55,000 for the 6.2L SC Hemi engine + additional cost for labor. My question is when I went to Mopar's website the enigine alone is $17,925+ an additional $6,000 accessories, totaling around $23,000. WHAT am I missing here? I'm ONLY comparing engine to engine cost. I'm NOT a mechanic so I have no idea wht could be missing, but still, there's a $30K difference?

The Mopar website says - Features: 6.2L SUPERCHARGED CRATE HEMI® ENGINE You've asked for it and Mopar® delivered. The 6.2L "Hellcrate" Crate HEMI® Engine exerts a monstrous 707 hp and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. This complete engine assembly includes water pump, flywheel and clutch, front sump oil pan, intake manifold with throttle body, fuel injectors and coil packs."

So, next, adding the other parts they say is needed (in addition to the $17,925 - 6.2L SC hemi cost)
$2,695 controller kit
$525 - exhaust manifold
$98 - oil filter kit
$232 - hemi power steering kit
$600 - front end accessory drive kit
$387 - A/C Expansion Crate HEMI Kit
===============================
$22,462 total

I’m doing a 6.4 hemi and 8 speed and just the parts to do the swap and make it work in the jeep are about 21k just in parts. There are a ton of odds and ends to make them work correctly. Why would you need 700 hp?

jeeeep

Hooked
Im just curious why so expensive to do an engine conversion? I'm just talking about the engine swap, not any extras like suspension, lift, brakes, etc because those choices can vary wildly in price. When I was just "looking" around a typical shop charges around $55,000 for the 6.2L SC Hemi engine + additional cost for labor. My question is when I went to Mopar's website the enigine alone is $17,925+ an additional $6,000 accessories, totaling around $23,000. WHAT am I missing here? I'm ONLY comparing engine to engine cost. I'm NOT a mechanic so I have no idea wht could be missing, but still, there's a $30K difference?

The Mopar website says - Features: 6.2L SUPERCHARGED CRATE HEMI® ENGINE You've asked for it and Mopar® delivered. The 6.2L "Hellcrate" Crate HEMI® Engine exerts a monstrous 707 hp and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. This complete engine assembly includes water pump, flywheel and clutch, front sump oil pan, intake manifold with throttle body, fuel injectors and coil packs."

So, next, adding the other parts they say is needed (in addition to the $17,925 - 6.2L SC hemi cost)
$2,695 controller kit
$525 - exhaust manifold
$98 - oil filter kit
$232 - hemi power steering kit
$600 - front end accessory drive kit
$387 - A/C Expansion Crate HEMI Kit
===============================
$22,462 total
you've got to allow for shop mark-up, misc shop supplies and labor, tuning, etc...

you pay a premium for their knowledge and when it's ready to start and drive, hopefully they've ironed out all the issues.

LVMohave

you've got to allow for shop mark-up, misc shop supplies and labor, tuning, etc...

you pay a premium for their knowledge and when it's ready to start and drive, hopefully they've ironed out all the issues.
I get it, there's a "cost" for their expertise, but like $30K? You didn't see that in my OP I said excluding labor. The $55K is excluding labor.

LVMohave

I’m doing a 6.4 hemi and 8 speed and just the parts to do the swap and make it work in the jeep are about 21k just in parts. There are a ton of odds and ends to make them work correctly. Why would you need 700 hp?
I don't need 700 hp - I was just merely looking at the costs. My truck isn't my daily driver, so too much HP isn't my concern- cost is my concern. I got my doors blown off by a Ford Raptor a few weeks ago. I wasn't trying to race him, but it wasn't a race. I would love to surprize him and blow his doors off!!! My daily driver, a 911 Turbo S I never lose a race!!! Its got over 800hp. (not sating it cant be beat, but hasnt yet)

WJCO

Meme King
Custom is custom is custom. And there will always be someone willing to spend the money if that's what they want. 55k does seem high though. What's their hourly rate and did they give you a labor hour breakdown?

LVMohave

Custom is custom is custom. And there will always be someone willing to spend the money if that's what they want. 55k does seem high though. What's their hourly rate and did they give you a labor hour breakdown?
I didn't even ask about labor, since I checked like 4+ sources and they all seem to quote conversion prices EXCLUDING labor.

WJCO

Meme King
I didn't even ask about labor, since I checked like 4+ sources and they all seem to quote conversion prices EXCLUDING labor.
Typical engine r&r is about 20 hours labor at a regular repair shop. I'm guessing custom is about 10 hours more for a Jeep engine swap.

A V8 conversion at its most basic CAN be done cheap but the result with be less than ideal. If you want a V8 that runs, gets you wheeling and back home and nothing else matters then it’s doable for $10-$15k.

If you want it to be reliable, work as well if not better than it it was go come out of the factory with things like all your gauges, A/C, heater, brakes cruise control etc with no CEL lights on then there is no way to do it cheap.

On top of all that, there are a lot of work arounds that need to be considered and, you have to future proof your swap so you need to think waaaay ahead. Are you going to upgrade to a bigger axle set? Are you going to upgrade to long arms or a front 3 link? Are you going to be running a kit with a lot of uptravel and want to maintain a low CG? All of those things are a factor and add up the cost really quickly.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't need 700 hp - I was just merely looking at the costs. My truck isn't my daily driver, so too much HP isn't my concern- cost is my concern. I got my doors blown off by a Ford Raptor a few weeks ago. I wasn't trying to race him, but it wasn't a race. I would love to surprize him and blow his doors off!!! My daily driver, a 911 Turbo S I never lose a race!!! Its got over 800hp. (not sating it cant be beat, but hasnt yet)
wonder if it's because of the "Hemi", LT swaps are not that much including labor.

LVMohave

I don’t think shops are charging $55k for parts online. If they are they won’t be in business long.
Majority of shops on the internet charge like $55K+ for a (707hp) Hellcat Hemi......withOUT labor. (Mopar sells the same engine and accessories for $23K) For example - AMW 4x4 charges $56,495 for the same engine with tranny, and additionally the install labor is 65 hours (NOT a typo) they also do a ton of unique upgrades. Now I get it they make a Gladiator into a working piece of art, but the costs are staggering.

I totally get it these shops charge alot for their expertise, no argument with that. I've spent over $58K on my 911 for mods. Totally worth it for me. BUT, I just don't see WHY these (Jeep) shops are charging like 2.5x the cost of a engine alone. Just the engine! I'll say it because someone else will say it" because they can"

Last edited:

LVMohave

wonder if it's because of the "Hemi", LT swaps are not that much including labor.
I'm just exploring options here and the internet is a good start. I prefer first hand knowledge, but I don't know alot of Jeep owners, so I come here to get info from you guys because I believe people here provide real world knowledge and experience. This is my first Jeep, so I have alot to learn. Eventually I'm going to put 1 tons and 40's on my truck and want more power.

I find it very strange that putting a GM LT engine in a Jeep product is easier than just adding a (Hemi) Jeep engine into a Jeep product, makes no sense to me! Common sense tells me a more compatible product would be the same brand!

Anyway, the avg price I've seen for a 450-500hp LT engine swap is like $30K,-$36K probably about $10k less than a Hemi 505. Keep in mind I'm only using the info I'm getting online from these shops websites.

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
Either way you have to pay for the Integration, right? Not like you can just plug a hellcat into a jeep. Not saying it’s worth the wild mark up for a mopar to mopar, but there is still a lot of R&D/ engineering that goes into that, and these companies expect a return profit, so It’s not just parts. Now to get GM integration, you have to expect a cost but it’s seems like LT
swaps are pretty much cheaper across the board what some may say is better performance (have never driven either so can’t comment on that) . Which to this point I agree it’s begs the question why such a mark up for the hemi, but like any capitalistic venture, things are worth what people will pay, so as along as their shops are full doing conversions, what is their incentive to charge less.

I'm just exploring options here and the internet is a good start. I prefer first hand knowledge, but I don't know alot of Jeep owners, so I come here to get info from you guys because I believe people here provide real world knowledge and experience. This is my first Jeep, so I have alot to learn. Eventually I'm going to put 1 tons and 40's on my truck and want more power.

I find it very strange that putting a GM LT engine in a Jeep product is easier than just adding a (Hemi) Jeep engine into a Jeep product, makes no sense to me! Common sense tells me a more compatible product would be the same brand!

Anyway, the avg price I've seen for a 450-500hp LT engine swap is like $30K,-$36K probably about $10k less than a Hemi 505. Keep in mind I'm only using the info I'm getting online from these shops websites.
Just because it’s a mopar product doesn’t mean it’s a simpler swap. There is just as much fab work involved and just as much work for electronics and engine integration. So the amount of work is about the same. However an LS/LT takes up less space, weighs less and can be mounted lower because you can move critical components around. The hemi is still a solid choice and for mopar purists (even though the 3.6 is a fiat product) the hemi makes sense.

But do some solid research on the LS/LT options too. You’ll be surprised at what you find out. Motech has a shit load of great information on their YouTube channel and Robbie does a great job explaining everything.

LVMohave

I appreciate the replies. The "Hemi" is just cool to have in a Jeep in my opinion. I've sort of looked at LT swaps, Motech especially but their website doesn't have alot of info at all. Since I live in Vegas I can easily drive to them and get some good info.

LS JK

I appreciate the replies. The "Hemi" is just cool to have in a Jeep in my opinion. I've sort of looked at LT swaps, Motech especially but their website doesn't have alot of info at all. Since I live in Vegas I can easily drive to them and get some good info.
Yes, one our goals this year is to get the website going with more info, most guys get the info from our YT channel WranglerJKLS. Stop by anytime were there 8-5 🙂

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I don't know if you've seen videos on this swap being done - but its not a painless conversion and imo looks like more of a pain than its worth (especially given the fact that hemi's and 8 speed zf's are not cheap). If you can find a wrecked charger/challenger with a hemi would probably be more feasible but then you have a used motor that you have no idea what its condition is in. From what I seen the cutting of mounts, rewelding, the custom adapter for the transfer case , new crossmember etc ... i'd pass on all that and buy a new/used 392 instead (which already has the correct high mount alternator and properly angled intake). I wouldn't attempt this conversion unless I had my own shop. The $30k difference can EASILY be eaten up by odd ends and bits and Labor especially.

Top Bottom