help with ticking sound while driving

Stinger25id

Need some help? I have a 10 JK Islander with a 2.5in lift. when i start driving i have a loud ticking sound from underneath the jeep (seems to be frond end) it gets faster as i drive faster. i believe that it is the frond drive shaft got underneath yesterday and the shaft i can move is the front one. I can move it in a circular motion and the whole thing moves together even from the axle to the trans case. Kind of a newby so im trying to figurre out what to fix. doesnt seem to be U-joints.

Need some help? I have a 10 JK Islander with a 2.5in lift. when i start driving i have a loud ticking sound from underneath the jeep (seems to be frond end) it gets faster as i drive faster. i believe that it is the frond drive shaft got underneath yesterday and the shaft i can move is the front one. I can move it in a circular motion and the whole thing moves together even from the axle to the trans case. Kind of a newby so im trying to figurre out what to fix. doesnt seem to be U-joints.

Do yourself a favor and jack up the front end and rest it on jack stands so that you can rotate your wheels freely. Spin the wheels while off the ground and see if you can diagnose the source of the sound. Hopefully you can figure out whether its your axle shaft or your driveshaft.

Guess I'll try the front end just load gotta crank the radio otherwise it drives me crazy hope I can find the noise, rear shaft doesn't move at all when I try to move it just the front one, wondering about the axle shafts

Guess I'll try the front end just load gotta crank the radio otherwise it drives me crazy hope I can find the noise, rear shaft doesn't move at all when I try to move it just the front one, wondering about the axle shafts

Can you give us more info so that we can help you? What lift and wheel size? What driveshafts are you running?

I'm running 33's and tf 2.5in lift stock shafts the front one I can move in a circular motion but not to much. Can't move back one at all starts of with tick when driving and then gets faster as I get faster

Ok on the way to the gym it reminded me or rocks in my tires sounds, I need to look up that part anyone know the correct spelling hell I don't even know where that is thanks all

If that's what's shot, I'd get a new shaft. Je reel, coast or adams. For your jeep and tire size a 1310 is fine.

Have you ever been in a car or heard a front wheel drive car where the cv joint is going bad and clicks on turns? Same thing probably happening

Sounds like the rzeppa or however you spell it is shot.

That's what mine sounded like when it took a dump.... Another jeep this weekend was making the same noise and checked his.... The boot was ripped and starting to spit grease too...

Sounds like the rzeppa or however you spell it is shot.

Yes this joint at the transfer case. I pulled the front shaft on my 07 at about 64k and crud started falling out of the joint. If you find the boot torn the joint is shot or will be soon.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to go from here, i.e, keep stock shafts and replace rzeppa

You can always search CL or find another Jeeper with a spare, not abused shaft on the cheap. But the long term fix will be to get an aftermarket shaft like Olram30 said. Whats the sense in throwing any more money at it if you will need to replace it with an aftermarket shaft at some point right?:thumb:

Top Bottom