Help diagnosing this sound

BradsTj

PROBLEM SOLVED

My Tj when I turn the wheel to the right or left from a stop and going slow it will make this high pitch squealing sound. It's not my brake pads, I don't know what else it could be. My hubs don't look worn out. I'll take all the help I can get to solve this. It happens around the 17 second mark in the video.
Thanks for taking a look at my post

http://youtu.be/aAodHvEWjx0

Last edited:
What I would do is put it on 4 jack stands and run it like you did turning from left to right to see if you can get it to do it again. Then you can start to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Are you SURE it's not the front brakes?

As for things to check: front axle u-joints, front driveshaft u-joints, the unit bearings then on to the rear driveshaft. Good luck.

Positive it's not the brakes. I'm not using them, I'm slowly accelerating at about 5-10 mph..
Thanks I'll do that this weekend and check those components. Hopefully it's a really easy fix.

could be your brake dust shield is bent and rubbing, but it sounds more like your wheel bearing hub assembly is bad.

Take the tire off and rotate the hub, it should spin smoothly. you'll probably feel it spin like it has sand in it, easy to replace.

My first thought is something in your backing plate like a rock or like the previous poster said, it may be bent. Second thought is a really dry axle seal or bearing seal that is creating the noise during rotation, however, I'm not confident this differential has outer axle seals, and I believe hub bearings are sealed as an assy on these. Last thought is a dry bearing itself, just because it doesn't have any play doesn't mean it's not making noise.

So my step dad took a look and he thought it was the brake pads I had. Took them off and it looked like they were not being released properly, we greased up the shaft on the bolts that hold the caliper together and put new pads on. Total silence, no squealing at all and I've driven 60 miles and nothing yet.

Top Bottom