Good to be here

mtgbaker

Hey guys, first time posting here! Been out of the jeep world for a few years but used to frequent the other forums. And am ready to get back into a Jeep!

So I owned 2 previously, 07' JKU, 10' JKUR and I am at a bit of a crossroads as to what I want now.

But anyways I have found an 08' JKU that meets most of my criteria, it is one of my favorite Jeep colors, green. 66k miles, 2 owner, clean inside and out and bone stock. It is in Tennessee so I cant see it in person easily, but I am very interested. Key factor with this purchase is it would be owned out right, no car payment.

This would be my DD (6 miles round trip to work) and plan to mod it right from the start.

SO, the other side is, I am pretty curious of the JL and of course a newer JK would be nice, but would leave me with a payment. I don't want to go with the 08' then be unhappy wishing i hopped into the new JL...

Whatever I get I plan to keep for a long time, for once.

Any thoughts or experience is appreciated,

Thanks Yall

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to WAYALIFE!

Definitely, the benefit of buying used is that you won't have any payments and that's huge. The down side to an 08 is that it has a 3.8L engine and if you plan on running bigger tires, you'll definitely feel the lack of power it has. If you plan on keeping it stock, you'll be fine though and for me personally, I've always found the 3.8L to be a good and reliable engine that had been around for a long time.

That said, IF you plan on running bigger tires, you'll really want the power that a 3.6L engine provides and for how much people are asking for a JK with one these days, I personally would recommend that you get a JL instead. The new automatic transmission it has is just so much better and you'll love the power it provides. Sure, the payments suck but overall, I do think it's a better Jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey guys, first time posting here! Been out of the jeep world for a few years but used to frequent the other forums. And am ready to get back into a Jeep!

So I owned 2 previously, 07' JKU, 10' JKUR and I am at a bit of a crossroads as to what I want now.

But anyways I have found an 08' JKU that meets most of my criteria, it is one of my favorite Jeep colors, green. 66k miles, 2 owner, clean inside and out and bone stock. It is in Tennessee so I cant see it in person easily, but I am very interested. Key factor with this purchase is it would be owned out right, no car payment.

This would be my DD (6 miles round trip to work) and plan to mod it right from the start.

SO, the other side is, I am pretty curious of the JL and of course a newer JK would be nice, but would leave me with a payment. I don't want to go with the 08' then be unhappy wishing i hopped into the new JL...

Whatever I get I plan to keep for a long time, for once.

Any thoughts or experience is appreciated,

Thanks Yall
Welcome to Wayalife. I'd suggest you drive a JL. I'd take a JL with a payment over a JK without a payment. Especially as a daily driver or modified JK. Granted 6 miles isn't much daily, but the JL has so much more power and is more comfortable.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've got a 2010 JKU 3.8, '15 JK 3.6, '18 JL 3.6

I like the JLU but would've been just as happy with an older 3.6 JKU (2014-16)

The JLU transmission is hard to beat; 2010 transmission running larger tires, Fred Flinstone would hate, the 2015 gets (y).

I've kept the 2010 but rarely drive it, hoping to LS/10 speed swap it someday soon.

Top Bottom