Going to beadlocks worth it?

NAZ Jeeper

I’m thinking about upgrading my wheels and tires and this may be an opportnuity to go to beadlocks. Are they worth it? I can air down my MTRs to 14 without any problems and think I can go lower if I wanted to on my Method non beadlock wheels. Are headlocks a pain to maintain. My Jeep isn’t a daily driver but I don’t think twice about driving from AZ to UT, NV, or CO to go wheeling. Also what brand would you recommend if it matters. I don’t really care about DOT approval.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’m thinking about upgrading my wheels and tires and this may be an opportnuity to go to beadlocks. Are they worth it? I can air down my MTRs to 14 without any problems and think I can go lower if I wanted to on my Method non beadlock wheels. Are headlocks a pain to maintain. My Jeep isn’t a daily driver but I don’t think twice about driving from AZ to UT, NV, or CO to go wheeling. Also what brand would you recommend if it matters. I don’t really care about DOT approval.
I think they are. At times I air down 6-8 without worry. I usually just check the torque on the ring bolts when I rotate the tires. Never had an issue and have taken it on long trips as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how you use your Jeep. If you play hard on the rocks, they're definitely worth it. If not, eh, a good set of wheels will get the job done just fine, just as you've seen. You can easily go down to 10-12 psi and not have any issues so long as you're running a narrow wheel. Something like 8" in width. Back in the day, we used to call it a poor mans beadlock.

A big advantage of NOT running beadlocks is that a lot of shops - MOST shops won't balance or work on your wheels if you have beadlocks. So again, it's all a matter of how you use your Jeep.

NAZ Jeeper

All we get out here are the rocks so that’s what I get to wheel in. I wonder if our local Discount Tire will work on beadlocks. I’ll have too ask them. My fake beadlocks have taken a beating so it would be a benefit to be able to replace just the ring.

Attachments

• F1B9FBF6-A224-43FA-88F1-1077B9C43D1E.jpeg
    F1B9FBF6-A224-43FA-88F1-1077B9C43D1E.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 26

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All we get out here are the rocks so that’s what I get to wheel in. I wonder if our local Discount Tire will work on beadlocks. I’ll have too ask them. My fake beadlocks have taken a beating so it would be a benefit to be able to replace just the ring.
Discount Tire should or at least, now a days. That said, you should call and ask first as the rule change is recent.

CalSgt

Hooked

I don't think I would recommend Beadlocks for anyone not willing or not capable of working on them. They are a PIA but simple enough for any person competent with tools.

NAZ Jeeper

Yeah I don’t have a problem doing the maintenance. I just want to make sure they will mount and balance on those wheels.

NAZ Jeeper

I’m on 35 MTRs now and may go to 37s after I install my coil overs. The guy at discount tires thinks that MTRs are going to be discontinued so I may need to find something with some comparable sidewall strength to replace them.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m on 35 MTRs now and may go to 37s after I install my coil overs. The guy at discount tires thinks that MTRs are going to be discontinued so I may need to find something with some comparable sidewall strength to replace them.
My 35 Load E TG’s have yet to be balanced. Maybe I’m just lucky.. I don’t know. I’ve heard others say the 37“ Load D need balancing. But I think in general because the Nittos are more stout there is better chance of minimal or no balancing needed. I could be wrong though. (I’ll probably get a vibration this weekend now that I said that.. lol)

My 35 Load E TG’s have yet to be balanced. Maybe I’m just lucky.. I don’t know. I’ve heard others say the 37“ Load D need balancing. But I think in general because the Nittos are more stout there is better chance of minimal or no balancing needed. I could be wrong though. (I’ll probably get a vibration this weekend now that I said that.. lol)
My 35" TG's need like 1.25 ounces balanced dynamically (both sides and also with simulated road force on a tire balancer) which is basically nothing for a big mud terrain. I've said it so many times before lol, such an excellent tire all around.

NAZ Jeeper

Just got a set of these wheels today and Cooper STTs tomorrow. After watching Eddie’s install video I’m going to mount these bad boys up on my own. Our local Discount Tire doesn’t work on bead locks but they will balance them.

Attachments

• DC25C160-AC19-449C-A2D5-980D894BEA3D.jpeg
    DC25C160-AC19-449C-A2D5-980D894BEA3D.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 13

Ddays

Hooked
Just got a set of these wheels today and Cooper STTs tomorrow. After watching Eddie’s install video I’m going to mount these bad boys up on my own. Our local Discount Tire doesn’t work on bead locks but they will balance them.

You're gonna think those thick beads on the Coopers will never allow the ring to seat metal to metal, but rest assured they will. Just keep chasin them bolts round and round

Top Bottom