Gladiator Diesel - Tires and Towing

SeaSharp

I need to tow a boat, other trailers, etc. If I were to get a new Gladitor diesel Rubicon, what's the max tire size I could run without having to re-gear, and still tow a boat / trailers / camper / etc to the mountains without straining the engine?

Is the torque plentiful enough that it won't matter putting 37's on it? Or do you think it'll hunt the gears too much towing say 4k pounds on hills and 35 would be the max before re-gearing? Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With the diesel Rubicon, I think you'd be fine with 37s for daily driving. You won't hardly notice the difference. Towing, I'd think you'd be okay too. The diesel has a ton of torque. Even with a 3.6L, I've pulled way more weight than 4k on a Sport S that's been regeared with 4.88 and it still felt like it had sufficient power. The thing I would recommend though is trailer brakes.

SeaSharp

With the diesel Rubicon, I think you'd be fine with 37s for daily driving. You won't hardly notice the difference. Towing, I'd think you'd be okay too. The diesel has a ton of torque. Even with a 3.6L, I've pulled way more weight than 4k on a Sport S that's been regeared with 4.88 and it still felt like it had sufficient power. The thing I would recommend though is trailer brakes.
The 3.6L struggles to hold even the smallest of inclines and mostly wants to run in 6th gear. It just doesn't have the umph needed to tow much of anything IMO.

And yes to trailer brakes!

The 3.6L struggles to hold even the smallest of inclines and mostly wants to run in 6th gear. It just doesn't have the umph needed to tow much of anything IMO.

And yes to trailer brakes!
My 2.0L 2-door seems to have plenty of torque, but I am astonished at what pulling even an 8x10 aluminum trailer with a big load of brush must be doing to the fuel economy. I need to pay more attention next time since I am left wondering where all that gas went!

2011jk

I went from 38" km3 to 38" Trail Grapplers on stock gearing. Live at 5k' and few trips up the hill to Tahoe still adv over 24mpg..yes a diesel

3VOLVE

Caught the Bug
I tow a Patriot camper on 37s and stock gears and still average ~19 mpg. I recently towed a fully loaded 6x12 uhaul and slightly felt it’s weight when passing or going up inclines, but never felt underpowered.

=/=

I bought a diesel for the torque so when i put 37s on i regeared to 4.88s. There is a difference in 4 lo for those of us without the rubicon, and street acceleration is better.

I bought a diesel for the torque so when i put 37s on i regeared to 4.88s. There is a difference in 4 lo for those of us without the rubicon, and street acceleration is better.
Wow... 4.88 for 37s... Looking at the Diesel Rubicon it comes with 3.73 on 33". The equivalent ratio if only moving to 37" would be around 4.11. You wouldn't be the same for 4.88 until you get to 42".

=/=

Wow... 4.88 for 37s... Looking at the Diesel Rubicon it comes with 3.73 on 33". The equivalent ratio if only moving to 37" would be around 4.11. You wouldn't be the same for 4.88 until you get to 42".
I'll take the much better low end torque over a couple hundred high way rpm. There are two over drives in the 8 speed so I'm not concerned.

You’ve never owned a Jeep before have you?
Actually I have owned more than 1. But I have never owned a diesel before. At least not until 2 days ago... :) I actually just picked up a 2023 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon. So now I will be asking questions as far as should i decide jeep doesn't know what they are doing gearing it at 3.73 and should I figure they should have left the stock Rubicon Diesel with the 4.10s.

I am gonna use my 2016 Wrangler to donor a few items to my Gladiator before selling it. I would love to keep both especially as I have that mythical MOPAR life-time warranty on the 2016 (wouldn't it be fun to own it for 20 years and have Stellantis buy me a few engines and transmissions).

Top Bottom