Ghost town and mine hunting.

Places in the high desert near Lancaster/Palmdale

I noticed that some folks live near here, and wanted to share a couple of pics from just down the road in East Lancaster.;

sunnypics008.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I gotta say I'm pretty jealous of you guys. Being stuck here on the east coast sucks. We don't have stuff to explore like that out here.

Heres a few from the Lake Mead area.... Found some small horseshoes (looks like for donkeys, on the small side), a skeleton key, a baking power can, and part of a maple syrup box out there.

In Bonanza Gulch jeepin

A few of us have come out to the El Paso Mtns every Feb for 16 years.

This year we stayed at Bonanza Gulch, and IN the old miners cabin we used to try to maintain. (I hate vandals!!). Any way, it was only three of us the first night, and we stayed at the old Edith E cabin in Goler Gulch, so the others (who did not show until the next day!!) could find us and we would all convoy to Bonanza.

Ok, On the the pics of the cabins....

west end of an east bound Jeep..
065.jpg

and the Edith E cabin camp...
011.jpg

On to the Joni-Jack/Two Hearts Cabin and Mine...
DavesloadElpasomtns121.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns023-Copy.jpg

so what trip is worth doing with out a jeepin dog!......
DavesloadElpasomtns010.jpg

Last edited:
Inside the cabin has two wood stoves, and a nice double bed with bunk beds in another room, and a double kitchen area. I slept in the lower bunk, ( along with my dog Jake!), and put my gear on the top bunk so any kangaroo rats could not invade it.

DavesloadElpasomtns021.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns020-Copy.jpg

the double bed has no mattress as the rats would make short work of it, but your pads, and sleeping bags can make it quite nice.It has it's own room, and wood stove too!
DavesloadElpasomtns017.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns018-Copy.jpg

We BBQ'ed chicken and tri-tip on the smoker barbie, and ate till our bellies complained!!
DavesloadElpasomtns036.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns038-Copy.jpg

Awaking early, we made bisquits and gravy, bacon, eggs, and bean Burritos, and of course...lots of strong coffee to clear some of the revelry cob webs from the night..
As we mounted up to go to explore a canyon, I told the folks about the Indian Petroglyphs I had seen while riding here on my horse. So, we decided to go cross the canyon, and find the site. Except the way to get there is a bit deep with sand, and a part is full of "Pucker Factor"...

Yep...that's the trail.. right over a cliff, and down the waterfall.
014.jpg

the site is hidden by some boulders, and there is a cave in the rocks, that is reported to have been used as a shelter by the original inhabitants of the area.
So I let the folks know that this is a protected, and is considered a Sacred site by the local tribes. .....

Petroglyph #1
DavesloadElpasomtns064.jpg

and #2
DavesloadElpasomtns063-Copy.jpg

and #3
DavesloadElpasomtns065-Copy.jpg

leaving this site, we headed down the trail along the sandy bed to the pink Tuft and cap rock of Basalt...

DavesloadElpasomtns067.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns069-Copy.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns070-Copy.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns089.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns081.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns100-Copy.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns120.jpg

DavesloadElpasomtns118.jpg

ALSO.......

remember, you are only human, and drinking and driving, as well as too much speed, can turn your nice Jeep from this...

021.jpg

to this....

025.jpg

027.jpg

035.jpg

a helicopter flight out, and a nasty ticket from the gendarmes...not a nice end to your day.:doh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom