Freezing temps and possible ice build up

Dopey84

Has anyone done any wheeling in freezing temps and dealt with any clunking type noise after the fact...?

Dopey

I always have new noises when temps drop below 10 F.

Well I figured it's because of the temp but it's a feel like a clunk that wasn't there before so thinking it's the shocks freezing up maybe... idk more noticeable under 40mph and my esp bas light came back on after I cleared it this afternoon and I noticed my steering wheel is off center to the passenger side but alignment is straight... I'm gonna recenter it and check wheel speed sensor as I thought I had ice build up on them and that it was the culprit... to add I also just swapped out my 35's back to my stock tires till I can get my new ones. This is the first time dealing with this

Dopey

Well I figured it's because of the temp but it's a feel like a clunk that wasn't there before so thinking it's the shocks freezing up maybe... idk more noticeable under 40mph and my esp bas light came back on after I cleared it this afternoon and I noticed my steering wheel is off center to the passenger side but alignment is straight... I'm gonna recenter it and check wheel speed sensor as I thought I had ice build up on them and that it was the culprit... to add I also just swapped out my 35's back to my stock tires till I can get my new ones. This is the first time dealing with this

Dopey

Check all of your adjustment sleeve bolts and check drag link ends for play.

Probably not what you are experiencing, but below -5° F my shocks used to clunk like they were frozen. Every winter in NW Colorado.

Extreme cold does have a way of making things constrict. Could be you now just have something loose like a sway bar link for your clunking. As far as your steering wheel goes, as mentioned, recenter it and make sure the bolts on the drag link turn buckle are tight.

Check all of your adjustment sleeve bolts and check drag link ends for play.

All drag link ends and tie rod ends are new and tight... the weather isn't cooperating to recenter my steering wheel however I went out today to run earrands and lights were on when started and than turned off less than a quarter mile of driving... I did wiggle the wheel sensor wires before leaving the driveway... don't know maybe there loose however I'll still probably replace them for piece of mind but it seems intermittent and same with the clunking..

Dopey

Top Bottom