FrankenWillys

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another thread revival. I’ve covered three different Jeeps on this thread. We are going back to the 1955 Wagon now. My brother and I fixed it up and he drove it from Vancouver, WA to Moab and back. Since then it has sat for 3 years in Eastern Oregon. I couldn’t let it sit any longer so I decided to snatch it up and bring it back to WA.

Willys was full of yellow jackets and spiders. Had to take care of most of them before I could even try and start it.

View attachment 353999
View attachment 354000
View attachment 354001
View attachment 354002

A quick jump and some starting fluid had it going again. I was actually able to drive it up on the trailer with some persuasion.

View attachment 354003
View attachment 354004

Also the new tow pig worked flawlessly. Very happy with that purchase.

Final goal is to have the Willys be a daily driver. I’ve got my work cut out for me. I’ll take and closer look over the next couple days and update the thread in the direction I intend to go.

View attachment 354006

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome project! Can’t wait to see it come back to life!

Congrats on the tow rig, they are beasts!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Did a little bit of crawling around today. This thing is full of problems. Whoever put it together did some pretty questionable things. Hard to tell where to start first.
IMG_8968.jpg
Custom shock setup.
IMG_8972.jpg
IMG_8969.jpg
All of the body mounts are solid aluminum. No rubber in sight.
IMG_8973.jpg
Itty bitty shock.
IMG_8974.jpg
Custom 3 piece drag link.
IMG_8975.jpg
Hole in the firewall to fit the 225. Also plenty of expanding foam.

Ddays

Hooked
:crazyeyes: Bet that thing was a blast driving from Washington to Moab & back. Was your brother pissing blood when the trip was over?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
:crazyeyes: Bet that thing was a blast driving from Washington to Moab & back. Was your brother pissing blood when the trip was over?

[emoji23] His seat did break off on Top of the World. His fuel pump failed the last 1000 feet of the trail. Also the wiper motor broke off the firewall on the way home. His photo. He was so pissed. IMG_0716.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Long time no update. Last week I came across a good deal on a YJ tub and rolling frame for $500. I quickly snagged it and became dreaming of building a nasty 1 ton crawler. It was a blank slate. I even went as far as ordering parts on Black Friday and almost buying a GM D60/14 Bolt/AMC401/T19/Dana300 out of a beat CJ-7 for the swap. As I thought about it and my wife talked at me I decided to scrap that idea because I already have a big Jeep and I can’t build anything at a slowish pace.

IMG_9942.jpg

Now I’m back to the original plan. Frame swap the Willys with the YJ frame. I’ve already sold the tub and have a set of GM half ton axles to drop under it. Just picked up a new welder so I should be starting soon.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Long time no update. Last week I came across a good deal on a YJ tub and rolling frame for $500. I quickly snagged it and became dreaming of building a nasty 1 ton crawler. It was a blank slate. I even went as far as ordering parts on Black Friday and almost buying a GM D60/14 Bolt/AMC401/T19/Dana300 out of a beat CJ-7 for the swap. As I thought about it and my wife talked at me I decided to scrap that idea because I already have a big Jeep and I can’t build anything at a slowish pace.

View attachment 356385

Now I’m back to the original plan. Frame swap the Willys with the YJ frame. I’ve already sold the tub and have a set of GM half ton axles to drop under it. Just picked up a new welder so I should be starting soon.

“My wife talked at me.” [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked

View attachment 356385

I still like the original plan, that will be a sweet project when it is done.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Nice rigs, BABOOZLE!

I just picked up a 1984 CJ8 that’s going to need an incredible amount of TLC, and I’m still jealous of your builds.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Donor axles, frame and extra tub showed up. GM 6 lug D44 and GM 12 bolt. 4.56 gears and both spooled apparently. Axles are going to be plenty wide. I think I’ll stick with the 4.56 but go open up front and limited slip in the rear. It’s not going to be a crawler.
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
I don’t want the Jeep to be sky high. Plan on running 35s. I can either leaf under it or I’m thinking of linking the front with coils with leafs in the rear.
IMG_0117.jpg

Top Bottom