Flashing Locker light!!!! WTH

rob_bunch

So I have an 18 rubi unlimited w/ the 3.6.
5.13"s were installed late march early april. Its my daily driver and have had no issues. Last night the locker light on the dadh and at the switch started flashing. (No i didn't lick it at any poiny over the weekend)

Is this the infamous sensor issue everyone had talked about? Will theychangr the sensor or have to swap the axle? (I've heard it being addressed both ways)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-074250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-074250_Gallery.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 3

rob_bunch

This ^^^

Depending on how much lift you have and whether or not you freed up the wiring from the cross member, you most likely pulled the wires out of the plug a bit when flexing out on the trail. This is VERY common.
I've actually not flexed out,, this past weekend was a basic "all paved" road trip.

rob_bunch

Update,,, checked the plug at the diff for binding but there was plenty slack. Pulled the connection and it was soaked in gear oil. Wiped it off as best as possible, reconnected and light is still flashing. So the question is,, is stelantis/mopar far enough along that they'll just replace the plug & sensor or will they want to swap the housing. It's under warranty but my concern is if they do swap the housing (dumb move but ok.....) ill have to buy a new gear set. I've only had this set of 5.13's in for about 25k. Thoughts?

JimLee

Hooked
Update,,, checked the plug at the diff for binding but there was plenty slack. Pulled the connection and it was soaked in gear oil. Wiped it off as best as possible, reconnected and light is still flashing. So the question is,, is stelantis/mopar far enough along that they'll just replace the plug & sensor or will they want to swap the housing. It's under warranty but my concern is if they do swap the housing (dumb move but ok.....) ill have to buy a new gear set. I've only had this set of 5.13's in for about 25k. Thoughts?
Ouch. Last I heard they still can't source the individual part (sensor), but that's been a few months so check around. Z automotive has a harness that will make your lockers operational but i'm not sure what/if the drawbacks are. Also might want to try hosing that connection out with electrical contact cleaner (just don't contaminate your diff oil with it).

rob_bunch

Ouch. Last I heard they still can't source the individual part (sensor), but that's been a few months so check around. Z automotive has a harness that will make your lockers operational but i'm not sure what/if the drawbacks are.
Id be nervous the "Z-plug" is a temp fix and could cause more gremlins down the road.

JimLee

Hooked
Id be nervous the "Z-plug" is a temp fix and could cause more gremlins down the road.
My understanding is that the locker problems are just just a sensor problem, which tricks the computer into thinking the locker is in the wrong position, I don't think there is really anything the aftermarket item could damage more, but I understand your trepidation. I haven't tried it myself so all I have is anecdotal evidence, maybe someone else who has used it will chime in on the conversation. Be aware that have read on other forums of people being denied a warranty axle replacement because they have re-geared, once again this is third hand info and I think it has more to do with individual dealerships than company policy.

rob_bunch

My understanding is that the locker problems are just just a sensor problem, which tricks the computer into thinking the locker is in the wrong position, I don't think there is really anything the aftermarket item could damage more, but I understand your trepidation. I haven't tried it myself so all I have is anecdotal evidence, maybe someone else who has used it will chime in on the conversation. Be aware that have read on other forums of people being denied a warranty axle replacement because they have re-geared, once again this is third hand info and I think it has more to do with individual dealerships than company policy.
Well there is a good rapport with the dealer and the shop that did the gears. The after mkt shop caught the leaky axle shaft seal and the dealer warrantied that no questions asked so I hope if thats how this goes they'll all play nice. It helps the Svc Mgr regularly wheels with the after mkt shop owner/head wrench. #fingerscrossed

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I've had this issue several times. I ended up wiring them directly to the aux switches while I was on golden spike lmao. I knew all that wire I was carrying would come in handy some day lol.

JimLee

Hooked

Twist512

If under warranty, Jeep replaces the full axle assembly rather than the sensor. Since you had gears done, its likely they will not cover the work under warranty. If you pick up the sensor yourself, you may want to look at potting it before installing.

rob_bunch

If under warranty, Jeep replaces the full axle assembly rather than the sensor. Since you had gears done, its likely they will not cover the work under warranty. If you pick up the sensor yourself, you may want to look at potting it before installing.
They've actually already warrantied an outer axle shaft seal that was found to be leaking by the shop that did the gears. There "shouldn't" be an issue in that regard. My question is whether they'd pull my ring & pinion and drop them in the new housing.

Twist512

From others I have spoken with, they swap out the whole axle hub to hub. Asking to swap over the ring and pinion would be extra, and probably between you and the shop.

Top Bottom