Fishing Jeepers...Post Up Your Pics

Brute

Hooked
I learned to fly cast from youtube...Orvis has a great series. Basically, two o’clock pause, ten o’clock pause...repeat till arm falls off...

TrailHunter

Hooked
I learned to fly cast from youtube...Orvis has a great series. Basically, two o’clock pause, ten o’clock pause...repeat till arm falls off...

There are some great informative channels... Orvis is one for sure... But My favorite so far is “Huge Fly Fisherman”.... dude is hilarious and he always has a beer in his hand...

wjtstudios

Hooked

There are some great informative channels... Orvis is one for sure... But My favorite so far is “Huge Fly Fisherman”.... dude is hilarious and he always has a beer in his hand...

If you are looking for a couple good books on fly casting and how to read a river or lake, check out Gary and Jason Borger. These guys are more local to me but are some of the best. They even did all fly casting and stand ins for the movie “A River Runs Through It.” And some of the coolest guys to spend a weekend with on the river hearing stories of their adventures. They had taught me when I was a kid and gave me a huge foundation to build from.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JTTrailDraggin

Lots of great photos here. Anyone use their Jeep for ice fishing? This was our 2014 JL Sahara unlimited taking me to the best spots on a local lake. Can’t wait to take the JT out this winter. IMG_6723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Ok...my first (and last) ice fishing trip was about 1975, with my dad and his friend on Lake Harvey, VT. We drove my dad's Bronco out onto the lake...it was 17 degrees outside without wind chill, and there was enough wind to drive me into the Bronco to fire it up and run the heater from time to time.

They had a cooler full of beer with no ice in it; my dad told me they were in the cooler to keep from freezing. After a couple hours, with a couple small yellow perch and trout frozen on the ice (which they scraped off with a shovel), we left.

I love to fish, but I told myself I would never do that again...and I haven't.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok...my first (and last) ice fishing trip was about 1975, with my dad and his friend on Lake Harvey, VT. We drove my dad's Bronco out onto the lake...it was 17 degrees outside without wind chill, and there was enough wind to drive me into the Bronco to fire it up and run the heater from time to time.

They had a cooler full of beer with no ice in it; my dad told me they were in the cooler to keep from freezing. After a couple hours, with a couple small yellow perch and trout frozen on the ice (which they scraped off with a shovel), we left.

Sounds a little like my first and only duck hunt as a kid. I had cheap, thin waders that ripped from the ice we were breaking up as we waded out to the blind before dawn. My waders filled with frozen water and froze my entire body (I probably would have been better off in shorts.)

I think we saw one duck in five hours (but it could have been an airplane...it was so far away it was hard to tell).

I had to wade back through the semi-frozen water to get back to the car. To this day, it was the coldest I have ever been in my life. Also to this day, I have never gone on another duck hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JTTrailDraggin

Technology in the fishing industry has sure changed since 1975. Now we have sonar, heated portable shacks etc. lots of options to get out these days. I even use a 12lb total weight auger that drills 8” holes with a 20V dewalt industrial drill. I’ve barely used a gas auger in the last 6 seasons on the ice. With a portable ice shack I think nothing of going out in -30. It’s just the set up and take down that sucks when it’s that cold.

Brute

Hooked
Technology in the fishing industry has sure changed since 1975. Now we have sonar, heated portable shacks etc. lots of options to get out these days. I even use a 12lb total weight auger that drills 8” holes with a 20V dewalt industrial drill. I’ve barely used a gas auger in the last 6 seasons on the ice. With a portable ice shack I think nothing of going out in -30. It’s just the set up and take down that sucks when it’s that cold.

I know it has...I was watching a fishing show on tv a few years back...it was ice fishing in Minnesota for crappie. They towed out an "ice shanty" onto the lake with a tractor...it looked like a construction trailer...had a satellite dish, flat screen tv with the game on, infrared heaters, lp gas stove and a couch, there was an open rectangle in the middle of the floor where they cut a couple holes in the ice...they were catching crappies in their jeans and short sleeve shirts drinking beers watching football...

jeeeep

Hooked

i'm using their series to re-learn, haven't been fly fishing 40+ years, have a new rod and reel waiting, hoping I can get out and use it soon!

yarn does catch a lot of lawn bits :doh:

TrailHunter

Hooked
i'm using their series to re-learn, haven't been fly fishing 40+ years, have a new rod and reel waiting, hoping I can get out and use it soon!

yarn does catch a lot of lawn bits :doh:

Today I learned the “Double Haul”. And by learned.. I mean Binged watched Some YouTube Videos. I also hit the back of my head with the fly today, while casting into the water. [emoji849]

Today I learned the “Double Haul”. And by learned.. I mean Binged watched Some YouTube Videos. I also hit the back of my head with the fly today, while casting into the water. [emoji849]

Good reminder to always have glasses on and lucky that it was the back of the head and not your eye ball.

Once you get your double haul down. It’s a game changer and you’ll be enjoying your time on the water more.

wjtstudios

Hooked

We’ve all been there. It’s the worst with a weighted fly or when the hook try’s to embed itself

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jeeeep

Hooked

done that! that's when I learned the value of barbless hooks :doh:

Top Bottom