Feds Will Require New Vehicles to Average at Least 40 MPG by 2026

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read the following article that highlights the new federal requirements for new vehicles sold in the United States and it states that they "will have to travel an average of AT LEAST 40 miles per gallon" in 2026. This is going into effect to eventually save people a measly $1400 in gas during the LIFETIME of a 2029 model year vehicle. Of course, this is assuming gas prices stay the same.

mpg.jpg

And no, I don't think this is an April Fools :(

jesse3638

Hooked
I understand the protection of the environment but things have gotten way out of hand to the point of being unrealistic. Reminds of Sen. Mike Lee's interpretation of the green new deal a few years ago.

WJCO

Meme King
You know, years ago, I was told a story by a college automotive professor about someone had invented a carburetion system that could get a vehicle 50-60 miles per gallon. He said the man sold the rights (patents, etc) to a large gasoline company, and shockingly, the company never did anything with the carburetor design. If that story is indeed true, there could have been decades worth of decent fuel economy vehicles if it weren't for greed. The same greed and special interest that are pushing current automotive manufacturers into a corner to 'go green.'

It's never about fuel economy or saving the earth. It's always about power and money.

jesse3638

Hooked
You know, years ago, I was told a story by a college automotive professor about someone had invented a carburetion system that could get a vehicle 50-60 miles per gallon. He said the man sold the rights (patents, etc) to a large gasoline company, and shockingly, the company never did anything with the carburetor design. If that story is indeed true, there could have been decades worth of decent fuel economy vehicles if it weren't for greed. The same greed and special interest that are pushing current automotive manufacturers into a corner to 'go green.'

It's never about fuel economy or saving the earth. It's always about power and money.
That's just plain silly. I mean the $100 a month I'm saving on my electric bill and added value to my home for going solar is nice but I know my 30 panels are saving pounds of coal from being burned. That makes me sleep well at night. That and I can run my AC at 60 degrees with no imcrease in cost...haha.

TrailHunter

Hooked

I think it was super efficient and would somehow run on the fumes… wasn’t that guy murdered?

GP NOIR

Hooked

I'm gonna raise the BS flag on this one. Technology discovered is technology discoverable. If true, the patents have long since expired and are discoverable by a search of patents. Somebody would have dug them up and used them.

There have been competitions to see who can travel the furthest on a gallon of gasoline. All the vehicles have common traits. They travel at slower speeds, use induction systems and fuel mixtures set for greatest economy (not acceleration, horsepower, torque, drivability or emissions) and tires using very high pressures and minimal contact patches. Back in the day, there was a fifties Chevy that got 50 MPG (or so) on a carbureted 6 or 8 cyl Chevy enginel. The carburetor and engine was tuned to get maximum efficiency at one RPM, ran in a straight line on high pressure tires with the tread cut so they were effectively only an inch wide.

If the 50 MPG carb was so wonderful, why hasn't it been resurrected? Why has computer controlled fuel injection rendered the carburetor obsolete? Because the laws of physics is immutable.

We have ICE vehicles that get 50 MPG or more. Most of them are motorcycles & scooters.

You can pitch this myth into the bin alongside the carburetor that lets engines run off water.

Let's Go Brandon!

WJCO

Meme King
I think it was super efficient and would somehow run on the fumes… wasn’t that guy murdered?
I'm gonna raise the BS flag on this one. Technology discovered is technology discoverable. If true, the patents have long since expired and are discoverable by a search of patents. Somebody would have dug them up and used them.

There have been competitions to see who can travel the furthest on a gallon of gasoline. All the vehicles have common traits. They travel at slower speeds, use induction systems and fuel mixtures set for greatest economy (not acceleration, horsepower, torque, drivability or emissions) and tires using very high pressures and minimal contact patches. Back in the day, there was a fifties Chevy that got 50 MPG (or so) on a carbureted 6 or 8 cyl Chevy enginel. The carburetor and engine was tuned to get maximum efficiency at one RPM, ran in a straight line on high pressure tires with the tread cut so they were effectively only an inch wide.

If the 50 MPG carb was so wonderful, why hasn't it been resurrected? Why has computer controlled fuel injection rendered the carburetor obsolete? Because the laws of physics is immutable.

We have ICE vehicles that get 50 MPG or more. Most of them are motorcycles & scooters.

You can pitch this myth into the bin alongside the carburetor that lets engines run off water.

Let's Go Brandon!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that THIS is a carbureted car that Cindy owned and yes, it really got fuel economy that good...

crx.jpg

Way better than the 4Xe and most hybrids. That said, it's not a Jeep and it couldn't take us to where we really wanted to be and so we got rid of it. Of course, a car like this could never be made today and mostly because of all the stupid government standards that are now in place.

Last edited:

AZVAJKU

Hooked
All I can say is that THIS is a carbureted car that Cindy owned and yes, it really got fuel economy that good...

View attachment 373852

Way better than the 4Xe and most hybrids. That said, it's not a Jeep and it couldn't take us to where we really wanted to be and so we got rid of it. Of course, a car like this could never be made today and mostly because of all the stupid government standards that are now in place.

It really makes you wonder what could happen if Gov just got the f$ck out of the way and stopped trying to pick winners and losers? Think about what a diesel hybrid could do if the Gov had not emasculated diesels. The free market will always provide the best solution, the Gov is never the best answer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really makes you wonder what could happen if Gov just got the f$ck out of the way and stopped trying to pick winners and losers? Think about what a diesel hybrid could do if the Gov had not emasculated diesels. The free market will always provide the best solution, the Gov is never the best answer.
Couldn't agree with you more. The CRX HF was made as a result of the 1970's gas crisis. It was a car that people WANTED and Honda made it for them. Imagine that?

Sylvester

Part of there thinking is Fine's - Government is aware they can't met the standards so they fine the Auto Companies put that Money in the General Fund and use it to Pay Bribe's - I meant the Bill's - Not Bribes.. Wink wink

The average fuel economy is meant to be boosted by increased sales of electric vehicles.

There have been future plans for extreme fuel economy a few times but then the plans were rescinded by a later administration.

Top Bottom