EVO Tire Carrier on a Brand New JK

phillypete

The EVO tire carrier is on the top of my list for spare rubber hauling solutions, however the amount of cutting and drilling to the jk sheet metal has me a little nervous.

I'm not exactly sure why such a modification has my palms sweating; maybe it's the huge chunk of money I still owe on the jeep, or that it is such a significant cosmetic change that is basically irreversible.

Does anyone have any advise that could possibly sooth my nerves or perhaps guide me in a more responsible direction?

Would that be the first thing you have drilled to your jeep?

No I drilled holes in the bottom of the tub for my sliders.

This would be the first visible holes I drill in it.

I also have rocker armor on my build list, but I don't have any reservations about that.

I suppose although I never hope to part ways with my jk, I fear that such a huge modification as an EVO tire carrier could make it unsellable.

Does anyone have any experience selling a highly modified JK?

Although I know money spent on mods will not be recouped in a resale, it would be comforting to know I'm not turning my brand new jk into a financial boat anchor.

Vallum sooths the nerves, but short of that, I'll be in the same boat soon.. The only thing I'll be using to soothe my nerves would be that I'm actually adding value to the JK, as long as I do it right and don't screw it up..

Although I know "SOME" money spent on mods will not be recouped in a resale, it would be comforting to know I'm not turning my brand new jk into a financial boat anchor.

you should add some value to your rig with mods as long as they are done right. from my limited understanding..

LOL!! It's one of the first mods we did on our 2012. Once you get started, you'll feel a lot better :yup:

Obviously, with an EVO carrier you will limit your potential for resale to certain segments of the population. However, those segments are not going to be buying your jeep anyway. :crazyeyes:

Drill baby drill! First hole is the hardest. :thumb:

If you get rid of it, just toss a few of these in the holes....

Carriage-Bolt.jpg

Hit them with some touch-up paint if ya want.... nobody will even notice!
brows.gif

The EVO tire carrier is on the top of my list for spare rubber hauling solutions, however the amount of cutting and drilling to the jk sheet metal has me a little nervous.

I'm not exactly sure why such a modification has my palms sweating; maybe it's the huge chunk of money I still owe on the jeep, or that it is such a significant cosmetic change that is basically irreversible.

Does anyone have any advise that could possibly sooth my nerves or perhaps guide me in a more responsible direction?

When you get close to the install send me a pm. I'll give you a few pointers to help you out.

It's not that bad. We install these on brand new jeeps every day

It's not really irreversible. If you sold the rig you could keep the carrier and just leave the skins on. Buy some new skins for the next jeep and you back in action. :thumb:

Just think about how bad ass it's going to look when your done. :thumb:
Usually get's me through drilling and cutting my jeep up. lol. Can't wait to save of some money for this one. Let's see some pictures of the install and finished product! :beer:

I worried about the same thing with mine. But I didn't buy mine to sell it, I bought it to use. That's how I looked at it.

Obviously, with an EVO carrier you will limit your potential for resale to certain segments of the population. However, those segments are not going to be buying your jeep anyway. :crazyeyes:

Drill baby drill! First hole is the hardest. :thumb:

I don't think it's as much the hole drilling as it is the cutout for the brake lights that scare me!!!

MTG much like you I started off with a meager jeep ambitions simple bolt on enhancements. But after being around here for some time I'm thinking my previous plans just won't do.

Wayalife+Off Road Evolution=Black Tar Heroin for Jeepers

But after being around here for some time I'm thinking my previous plans just won't do.

Good..... so I'm not the only one with track marks. I've been sampling the drugs too. A lot easier, but I don't think I'll be happy in the long run with a budget boost and 35s. Thus, my plans too have changed.

I don't think it's as much the hole drilling as it is the cutout for the brake lights that scare me!!!

MTG much like you I started off with a meager jeep ambitions simple bolt on enhancements. But after being around here for some time I'm thinking my previous plans just won't do.

LOL! GCM addressed that very issue in the Knuckles thread. Really, if all the little holes don't bother you, the bigger ones shouldn't either. But I know what you mean. It looks intimidating. However, I can tell you...by the time you get to that point...you won't give a shit about drilling those holes. :thumb:

This is not the place to be if you want to stay stock. LOL!

You've already installed it in your head. I say order it up and deal with any issues later. That's the only thing that will help. If you go a different route you will just always wonder if you made the right decision.

Then again, maybe I'm not the best one to get advice from. :idontknow: :cheesy:

LOL! GCM addressed that very issue in the Knuckles thread.....

Did someone call???

My apologies if the below response had already been stated;

To the OP, it's simple in my view; you can do the minor, planned, intended "damage" of drilling holes and cutting out for the LED brake lights and have the peace of mind you are running armor to protect and strengthen weak ass body panels, while also having the industry's leading strongest spare tire carrier......or not install any of this kit, constantly worry about body damage, never really enjoy the fun of pushing your jeep to places it can't go in stock form, and then when the damage occurs from not having armor or the weak tire carrier you chose to run gets ripped off. Try explaining that to the next buyer when he does a Carfax search and $6000 dollars worth of body work shows up with the VIN.

Edit: if you decide to not drill, maybe stay stock or maybe just lightly modify the jeep, you will need to do this- Never, ever, ever wheel with a rig that has the kit you wished you had installed. It will haunt you.

Last edited:
Did someone call???

My apologies if the below response had already been stated;

To the OP, it's simple in my view; you can do the minor, planned, intended "damage" of drilling holes and cutting out for the LED brake lights and have the peace of mind you are running armor to protect and strengthen weak ass body panels, while also having the industry's leading strongest spare tire carrier......or not install any of this kit, constantly worry about body damage, never really enjoy the fun of pushing your jeep to places it can't go in stock form, and then when the damage occurs from not having armor or the weak tire carrier you chose to run gets ripped off. Try explaining that to the next buyer when he does a Carfax search and $6000 dollars worth of body work shows up with the VIN.

Edit: if you decide to not drill, maybe stay stock or maybe just lightly modify the jeep, you will need to do this- Never, ever, ever wheel with a rig that has the kit you wished you had installed. It will haunt you.

To this I say... "Curses to you GCM Squared." ;)

You go and put these dirty thoughts in my head just as I was all but content with the OR-FAB carrier. While I don't ever plan to pre-run the hammers for mel, I do somewhat get what you are saying. Now I'm going to have to think this over yet again. But the difference was going to get me my new 1350 driveshaft. :thinking:

There is of coarse my other plan. The one where I stand looking up to sky just hoping money will begin to fall upon me.

Top Bottom