EVO rock sliders- welding question and what to coat them with?

mcgyvr

How's this for relevant?
Is no different that the other minions MEME..
Not relevant.. I can take a joke (and give them) with the best of them..
That MEME might be relevant for a few of you though.. you seem to be getting a bit upset that I'm not bothered by the fun..

I think the "Gatekeeper/minion" system you guys have here is working pretty well and seems to be useful.
Probably not something I'd go along with on a forum I had control over but it seems to work well here.. Its interesting to say the least..

Guess you guys aren't used to people that really don't get overly offended/bothered by your "Welcome..lets see if we can push your buttons" system and actually try to stay respectful.
Again good job Gatekeepers. Now fuck off right back at ya :brows: (Heck.. I just like a forum that doesn't auto-censor foul language)

WJCO

Meme King
I think the "Gatekeeper/minion" system you guys have here is working pretty well and seems to be useful.
Probably not something I'd go along with on a forum I had control over but it seems to work well here.. Its interesting to say the least..
Again good job Gatekeepers. Now fuck off right back at ya :brows:

People have tried to be cool about this whole thread, it could have been much worse. But now you're just being a jackass. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

mcgyvr

You don't like copy cats either? Funny how that works
I didn't think you were that slow..
I was clearly showing a relevant MEME to go along with the fact that you and the other gatekeeper think I copied EVOs slider design..
I guess your ability to pick up on things is just as bad as your eye for details.. :crazyeyes: :D

mcgyvr

People have tried to be cool about this whole thread, it could have been much worse. But now you're just being a jackass. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
Is it the fact that I figured out the Gatekeeper system here so quick that has you bothered..
Now who can't take a joke..
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460729398.671049.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Is it the fact that I figured out the Gatekeeper system here so quick that has you bothered..
Now who can't take a joke..
View attachment 198670

Since this thread is now way off topic and will probably lead to you getting your own, I'll make this my last post regarding you and your comments. Otherwise this will just be a back and forth bunch of name-calling bullshit.

Gatekeeper system, yeah right. This forum allows anything to be posted with no deletions or censoring. You made mention of that yourself earlier. And I love that people here call out the bullshit when they do. If you get offended by that, stay off of this forum and go find one that tells you everything that you want to hear.

And your Mr. T meme, good copy from earlier, you do seem to be good at copying a lot of things don't you?

mcgyvr

Since this thread is now way off topic and will probably lead to you getting your own, I'll make this my last post regarding you and your comments. Otherwise this will just be a back and forth bunch of name-calling bullshit.

Gatekeeper system, yeah right. This forum allows anything to be posted with no deletions or censoring. You made mention of that yourself earlier. And I love that people here call out the bullshit when they do. If you get offended by that, stay off of this forum and go find one that tells you everything that you want to hear.

And your Mr. T meme, good copy from earlier, you do seem to be good at copying a lot of things don't you?

If you don't see the gatekeeper system in place here then you are slower than I thought..
You have a system here where new users get "flack" for the smallest of issues and certain members (the Gatekeepers) have no problem letting out rather rude comments with the intent of "fueling" these types of posts.
Heck you even have a sub forum dedicated to those "conquests" which is a bit sad IMO.
As soon as the "Gatekeepers" have shown that its ok.. the minions are short to follow with their own attempts to stir the pot.
What this does is weed out those that can't take the joke.. don't have tough skin..don't understand the internet and aren't really here to be a manly Jeep man,etc... Like I said before.. Interesting.. Never seen a forum like this one.
A perfect example of a minion here in this post is Ddays.. He posted shortly after my initial post and even agreed with my recommendation of self etching primer and rustoleum.. Nothing bad there at all from him at that time.. Then sharkey came out and performed the first Gatekeeper attempt and Ddays then felt ok to join in..

I don't need my own thread.. Mods.Don't waste your time..
I was trying to finish this thread off with post #72 but I could hear the panties getting ruffled from here.. It's enough though now so I agree.. end it.

And yes I'm handy and enjoy making my own things vs just buying something all the time.. But I don't agree that I "blatantly copied" the EVO design..Yes I used steel tube and yes it fits with the lines of the Jeep..But theirs has 3 cross bar supports.. I have 4 for a smaller span between the tubes.. And I did the end treatment different from them, didn't do anything like the plate area where they place their logo.. Is it "similar".. sure its a tube slider.. they are all similar.. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and I really don't care if you still think I copied them.. I don't and thats all that matters.

Cliff notes:
All fun.. I can take it and can dish it out too sometimes.. I like to build things.. I enjoy this forum.. I've tried to offer help in a few posts already.. Hopefully I'll be accepted and maybe get to partake in the fun from the other side. Oh and yes.. I do like to poke the bear sometimes just to keep life fun..

Have a nice weekend everyone!! Hugs and handshakes all around

professorkx

Wasn't sure I wanted to wade into this mess, but here goes...

I just finished building a 3-link/4-link King coil over suspension system on a CJ5, so building a couple of rock rails using the EVO design is probably in my wheelhouse. HOWEVER, for me, this is about respect and honor, so I don't copy the designs of a company who has spent hard earned money designing, testing and building a product, just as I don't want anyone to copy the products/services of my company.

Last year, I came up with two unique designs for parts for a dual sport motorcycle (I ride a Triumph 800XC) and posted pictures in online forum. Two companies contacted me and asked if they could use my designs and market a product, and permission was given. These companies could have just used my design, but out of respect, they asked first, as that's the right way to do things...IMHO.

To the original poster, make sure you get ALL of the paint off the frame for best penetration. Watch a few videos on vertical welding before you start, and test weld a couple of pieces of scrap together while hanging in a vise so you can build your vertical welding skills. If you screw up a weld, no problem, just grind it off and do it again. You won't get better by leaving your welder in the corner, so give it a shot. Welding wire is a lot cheaper than paying someone...and more fun.

Oh yes, I just place my order for a set of new EVO rock sliders for Mountain Goat. Can't wait to get them painted, installed and start scratching all that new paint off the sliders.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Wasn't sure I wanted to wade into this mess, but here goes...

To the original poster, make sure you get ALL of the paint off the frame for best penetration. Watch a few videos on vertical welding before you start, and test weld a couple of pieces of scrap together while hanging in a vise so you can build your vertical welding skills. If you screw up a weld, no problem, just grind it off and do it again. You won't get better by leaving your welder in the corner, so give it a shot. Welding wire is a lot cheaper than paying someone...and more fun.

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to do exactly that. I have a couple of scraps of 1/4" plate from my welding class. I haven't tried a vertical weld, so that'll be fun. I can overlap them to simulate the joint. I only ran beads on horizontal plate, then did a 90 deg butt weld both sides. At least I got a feel for how slow you go, what it sounds like, and more importantly what to look for in the weld puddle. I'm assuming drag weld down vice pushing up? I'm sure some online videos will help.

FedEx is dropping them off Saturday so I'll prep/paint Sunday and probably weld 'em on when I'm back from some travel.

professorkx

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to do exactly that. I have a couple of scraps of 1/4" plate from my welding class. I haven't tried a vertical weld, so that'll be fun. I can overlap them to simulate the joint. I only ran beads on horizontal plate, then did a 90 deg butt weld both sides. At least I got a feel for how slow you go, what it sounds like, and more importantly what to look for in the weld puddle. I'm assuming drag weld down vice pushing up? I'm sure some online videos will help.

FedEx is dropping them off Saturday so I'll prep/paint Sunday and probably weld 'em on when I'm back from some travel.

I've used both top down and bottom up methods on vertical welding, and while they both will work, they require different technique. Going up from the bottom is the most difficult, as gravity tries to pull the puddle towards the ground, so if you spend too much time in your puddle, you will loose your filler material as gravity takes it too the ground.

To start with, let's just admit this isn't welding 101, so you are not working on getting an A in welding class. You need to get the rails welded in place and have good penetration. With that said, I would recommend top down welding in a large C shaped weld with the arc of you C on the up stroke so the opening of the c is facing towards the ground. This is essentially a series of C shaped spot welds. Start with your wire pointed at the frame, pull the trigger and make a 1/2 inch C to the foot of the mount then release the trigger. Return to the frame, pull the trigger and make another C to the foot. The time it takes you to transition your wire back to the frame is enough time to allow the puddle to harden enough so it won't just run down the material. Each C weld should take about 1 1/2 seconds, so don't go too fast, as you need penetration.

I use this method when I'm welding laying on my back looking up at the weld, especially when the weld is in a tight spot with limited visibility. Your welding instructor might not like it, but this technique will yield a good looking weld with plenty of penetration. You should also be laying each successive C in the pocket of the previous C, so don't space them too far apart. The weld should look like a stack of nickels. Most new welders can't just keep the trigger on and get a decent vertical weld, but with a quick stop at the end of each C, you will be just fine.

Expect to have to grind out your first few welds, but just wait until the end to fix them. Get the rail blocked up in the right spot and tack weld all three feet onto the frame with 3 welds at 10, 2 and 6 before you start to finish weld anything. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 4 1/2 paddle style angle grinder (item 65519) for $33 (the paddle style is the easiest to use IMHO), a package of cut off wheels (item 61195) and a couple of 60 grit sanding discs (item 69602). The cutoff wheels work great for grinding a weld out of a pocket, and the sanding disc works best on flat surfaces.

Once you finish your first foot, you will have the hang of it and the rest should be fine, so don't get too frustrated in the beginning. We expect to see some picture when all is said and done.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Will do. Thanks for the advice. I already have a dewalt 4.5" grinder with flapper discs, grinding and cutting wheels so I'm good there. Just need to crank up the Miller 130 and go to town.

Ddays

Hooked
A perfect example of a minion here in this post is Ddays.. He posted shortly after my initial post and even agreed with my recommendation of self etching primer and rustoleum.. Nothing bad there at all from him at that time.. Then sharkey came out and performed the first Gatekeeper attempt and Ddays then felt ok to join in..

Christ I go away for a week on business & missed this one..

First off: Fuck you
Second: You made the mistake that I read your recommendation. Fuck off again. I read the OP question & told him what I did.
Third: I attempted to give you two straight responses on how this is a community, lets get along blah blah blah. I was trying to be nice.
You got all butthurt over other posts & wouldn't shut up. Label me as you want, I really don't give two fucks what you think of me. You
haven't figured what this site is all about yet. Funny how you got called out over your own shortsightedness & are lashing out at everyone else.

OP - sorry for the derail but I couldn't let this one go - Good luck with the install!

Top Bottom