EVO HD tire carrier questions.

Hey all. My Poison Spider body mounted tire carrier is getting old, tired and noisy. I’m torn between 2 minds here…. I also have some extensive quarter panel damage and need some corner guards.

Thinking of going with the EVO aluminum corners and, either ditching the carrier and figuring out a solution to mount the spare in the cargo area on wheeling trips or, combing the guards with the EVO Tire Carrier.

For those that are running their carrier, does it rattle, and is it fairly maintenance free or at least, easy to service?

And also, if I’m getting the tire carrier, are their aluminum corners sufficient for the weight of the carrier and spare tire?

I’m assuming you are referring to the cage style carrier part# EVO-1069? If yes, I’ve never had any issues with rattling or noises. The Johnny Joints are of course greaseable. I was able to set ours up to where I have to slightly pull on it to get the pin in which keeps it tight.

btw, you will be seeing a 15% off EVO next week 👍🏼

Last edited:
I’m assuming you are referring to the cage style carrier part# EVO-1069? If yes, I’ve never had any issues with rattling or noises. The Johnny Joints are of course greaseable. I was able to set ours up to where I have to slightly pull on it to get the pin in which keeps it tight.

btw, you will be seeing a 15% off EVO next week 👍🏼
Ah thank you sir. And yes, that is the one I was referring to. Will the aluminum corners hold up or should I stick with steel? Up here in Salt Lake City even my stainless FK heims rust and therefore the aluminum is very appealing.

Ah thank you sir. And yes, that is the one I was referring to. Will the aluminum corners hold up or should I stick with steel? Up here in Salt Lake City even my stainless FK heims rust and therefore the aluminum is very appealing.
Yes they should hold up just fine. The tire carrier brackets when mounted use a through and through bolt to the inside of the tub. So it clamps everything together. Also, the inside of the tube where the brackets mount, there are if I remember two vertical pinch seems that help add strength. So between that and the load being spread out over the skins, you are good.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yes they should hold up just fine. The tire carrier brackets when mounted use a through and through bolt to the inside of the tub. So it clamps everything together. Also, the inside of the tube where the brackets mount, there are if I remember two vertical pinch seems that help add strength. So between that and the load being spread out over the skins, you are good.
Would it hide this? 😬

DSC09972.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
The key to making the carrier rattle free is having the joints slightly misaligned. If you have to work it a bit to get the pins in like DOR said above, you won't hear a peep. My one and only issues with that carrier is that there isn't any stop built into it to keep it from swinging all the way open on an incline or off-camber. I made my own half-assed stay out of a piece of cable and anchored it to a tube and made an L bracket that attached to one of the screws on the skin. I couldn't let it swing open by itself but it would hold it in place.

The key to making the carrier rattle free is having the joints slightly misaligned. If you have to work it a bit to get the pins in like DOR said above, you won't hear a peep. My one and only issues with that carrier is that there isn't any stop built into it to keep it from swinging all the way open on an incline or off-camber. I made my own half-assed stay out of a piece of cable and anchored it to a tube and made an L bracket that attached to one of the screws on the skin. I couldn't let it swing open by itself but it would hold it in place.
That’s a good point. I didn’t think of opening it on an incline. My current carrier also does this. I just make sure to ease it open all the way so it doesn’t yank on the jeep.

Top Bottom