Evo Coilover rubbing

Jackboeker83

I just got the Jeep back from the second shop and noticed my springs have been rubbing against the support brace. Not sure if it happened due to improper setup from the first shop, while flexing, driving around town or this is normal. I do hear so light metal on metal when I hit a pot hole or something but I figured it was my king air bump. I placed some tape on the spring to see if it rubs through the tape and if it does then it’s still doing it. I don’t care about how it looks I just want it set up right. If it is still rubbing should I grind the support brace down a bit to give clearance? I haven’t measured it but there not a lot of room between the support brace and the springs. I have provided some pictures to show the paint coming off the springs from the outside (the inside are a lot worse) but couldn’t get the phone in the tight space to show when they are close to the support brace.
IMG_8586.jpeg IMG_8587.jpeg

Last edited:

JT@623

Hooked
I just got the Jeep back from the second shop and noticed my springs have been rubbing against the support brace. Not sure if it happened due to improper setup from the first shop, while flexing, driving around town or this is normal. I do hear so light metal on metal when I hit a pot hole or something but I figured it was my king air bump. I placed some tape on the spring to see if it rubs through the tape and if it does then it’s still doing it. I don’t care about how it looks I just want it set up right. If it is still rubbing should I grind the support brace down a bit to give clearance? I haven’t measured it but there not a lot of room between the support brace and the springs. I have provided some pictures to show the paint coming off the springs from the outside (the inside are a lot worse) but couldn’t get the phone in the tight space to show when they are close to the support brace.
View attachment 391468 View attachment 391469
Check and make sure the springs are clocked correct the tapered ends should be 180 apart on the slide

JeepFan

Hooked
I experienced the same issue on my JL. I removed the COs and ground down the brackets. You Also might want to check the top of the shock heim joint as it may be grounding out against the ABS actuator bracket. Its these small details a lot of shops miss.

Jackboeker83

I experienced the same issue on my JL. I removed the COs and ground down the brackets. You Also might want to check the top of the shock heim joint as it may be grounding out against the ABS actuator bracket. Its these small details a lot of shops miss.
Was it doing this when you were flexing or all the time?

Jackboeker83

Ok so I had some time to do some more break in trails and also get it on the lift. I noticed a few new problems or clearance issues.
1. My springs are hitting the support brace and I was able to get it on the lift and grind down where it was hitting. I kept the shocks on to try and get it but unfortunately I will have to take the shocks completely off to grind as much as I need to.
IMG_8612.jpeg

2. While I had it on the lift I noticed the axle shifted way to the drivers side. When it is on the ground everything looks even but when I lifted it it was completely shifted. Not sure if this is normal or what. Any advice would be great. I know the pictures aren’t that great but look at the bump stops compared to each other and you will be able to see how far it shifts to the drivers side. Once again. While on the ground it is pretty damn even and lines up.

Passenger side

IMG_8621.jpeg

drivers side

IMG_8622.jpeg

look at the driveshaft
IMG_8623.jpeg

Ok so I had some time to do some more break in trails and also get it on the lift. I noticed a few new problems or clearance issues.
1. My springs are hitting the support brace and I was able to get it on the lift and grind down where it was hitting. I kept the shocks on to try and get it but unfortunately I will have to take the shocks completely off to grind as much as I need to.
View attachment 391894
Yes you definitely have to trim down the stock shock towers there and on the back side of the stock coil bucket where the reservoir mounts. EVO gives you an idea in the instructions on where to cut but have found it's best to cut down a little more than you would think as this is a common issue. Easy fix though!

And as stated your front axle shifts to the driver side during down travel, rear axle shifts to the passenger side during down travel.

Jackboeker83

Ok another question. When I get the Jeep on the lift and the tires come off the ground the coilovers on the drivers side don’t make contact with the sleeve at the top. This might be a noob question but it’s my first time having coilovers. Is this normal and ok.
IMG_8617.jpeg

Top Bottom