Evo coilover question

JT@623

Hooked
I agree, i'm not thrilled with that part and it's why i'm wanting the switch, shame because they custom tune and give you spring rates based on your weight so you do get a really nice ride but lack of travel is bugging me, my wife thinks i'm nuts 🤦‍♂️
My wife knows I’m nuts

SDHobbs

Well I pulled the trigger, I switched to Evo long arms and coilovers. I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the ride height and on-road manners are compared to the Fox setup, I was expecting a much stiffer ride and taller stance but no, it sits and rides almost the same, which is awesome, well done Evo! The only con is the noise, it's very squeaky, especially in the back, I had AGM sliders installed so I don't hear any clicking just squeaking. I barely got the Jeep back from the shop so it doesn't have many miles on it, i'm hoping it will quiet down as it breaks in. No offroad just yet so all I have is fork lift flex pics from the shop, but as you can see the gain in travel is significant!

Flex1.jpg Before n after 1.jpg Before n after 2.jpg

Well I pulled the trigger, I switched to Evo long arms and coilovers. I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the ride height and on-road manners are compared to the Fox setup, I was expecting a much stiffer ride and taller stance but no, it sits and rides almost the same, which is awesome, well done Evo! The only con is the noise, it's very squeaky, especially in the back, I had AGM sliders installed so I don't hear any clicking just squeaking. I barely got the Jeep back from the shop so it doesn't have many miles on it, i'm hoping it will quiet down as it breaks in. No offroad just yet so all I have is fork lift flex pics from the shop, but as you can see the gain in travel is significant!

View attachment 384364 View attachment 384365 View attachment 384366
Congrats! Looking good. It should quiet down some or you just get used to it lol

SDHobbs

So I think I figured it out the source of the squeaking and clunking. Noise is coming from the rear passenger upper shock tower. Evo shock tower sitting on top of the stock tower, they rub together and squeak like a hay wagon, hitting it with lube clears it up. The clunking is the tub sitting on top of the Evo shock tower, when the Jeep bounces the tub bounces on the Evo shock tower and clunks loudly, which resonates inside the Jeep and can be heard from outside the Jeep as well. Not sure how to fix this, need to speak with my installer to see what can be done.

Giedrius

View attachment 384364 View attachment 384365 View attachment 384366
Thanks for the writeup. I was having the same dilemma before ordering the suspension today. I already have Metalcloak bolt on long arms on order, and was leaning towards Accutune coilovers to go with it, but after reading your posts decided to go with EVO. I think EVO mounts with Fox coilovers of equivalent length would be ideal, but oh well, I hope Kings won't disappoint.

However, I'm still curious what uptravel you have with EVO? You mentioned the lift height is similar to Accutune, and EVO towers from the pictures look a bit taller, but shocks are much longer, so I wonder how much of the uptravel you lose with EVO?

And do you have any rubbing / binding anywhere at full drop / flex?

Last edited:

Lperdue

Thanks for the writeup. I was having the same dilemma before ordering the suspension today. I already have Metalcloak bolt on long arms on order, and was leaning towards Accutune coilovers to go with it, but after reading your posts decided to go with EVO. I think EVO mounts with Fox coilovers of equivalent length would be ideal, but oh well, I hope Kings won't disappoint.

However, I'm still curious what uptravel you have with EVO? You mentioned the lift height is similar to Accutune, and EVO towers from the pictures look a bit taller, but shocks are much longer, so I wonder how much of the uptravel you lose with EVO?

EVO’s shock tower is taller and pulls the coil over toward the rear of the Jeep allowing for a longer shock without sitting high to maintain its low center of gravity. As for the binding question. EVO’s kit allows the most suspension travel of any bolt in set up. So you may run into issues since their kit is designed around their long arms.

You should check out Eddie’s video where he did a walk around of Mel’s rig.

SDHobbs

I have about 3.5" of uptravel. At full droop the front passenger side shock does make slight contact with the frame, I only noticed when we had the Jeep on the Metalcloak CTI ramp fully flexed out, but it hasn't caused any issues after almost a year of wheeling. I could probably shift the axle a little more passenger and it might fix.

Giedrius

I have about 3.5" of uptravel. At full droop the front passenger side shock does make slight contact with the frame, I only noticed when we had the Jeep on the Metalcloak CTI ramp fully flexed out, but it hasn't caused any issues after almost a year of wheeling. I could probably shift the axle a little more passenger and it might fix.
3.5" isn't much at all. How much of bump stocks do you run front / back? And what's your wheel backspacing? Your lift is around 3", right? I wonder if there's a room for increasing the up travel while keeping the lift height.

Top Bottom