Evo Bolt on coil over spring rates for 392 V8

marcus37

I have a Evo Long Arm setup with bolt on coil overs , UD 60 axles with 40" tires.
Last year I had a 392 V8 conversion done and have been trying to dial in the spring rates.
My ride height at around 3" of lift. I added HD springs up front on the lowers (400lb springs)
and now my have a rake in the front at zero preload setting. I was wondering what custom spring rates
people are running?

IMG_3049.JPEG IMG_2947.JPEG

Lperdue

@marcus37 I’m running their kit in the JT and after the hemi swap I went to 300/350 with an inch of preload. Currently sitting a little over 4.5 inches of lift.

honestly if your wanting to come down in hight. I would go with a lighter spring rate so you can add in more preload and have more adjustability with ride hight.

IMG_6523.jpeg

Last edited:

marcus37

@marcus37 I’m running their kit in the JT and after the hemi swap I went to 300/350 with an inch of preload. Currently sitting a little over 4.5 inches of lift.

honestly if your wanting to come down in hight. I would go with a lighter spring rate so you can add in more preload and have more adjustability with ride hight.

View attachment 400144
Nice setup! Thank you for the feedback if dropped the lower front spring down that would help on the preload maybe run a 300lb spring

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Evo Long Arm setup with bolt on coil overs , UD 60 axles with 40" tires.
Last year I had a 392 V8 conversion done and have been trying to dial in the spring rates.
My ride height at around 3" of lift. I added HD springs up front on the lowers (400lb springs)
and now my have a rake in the front at zero preload setting. I was wondering what custom spring rates
people are running?
I'm pretty sure 14" 400s IS what you want to be running for your secondaries with a 392. What are your primaries? Also, nothing wrong with adding in a bit of preload.

Lperdue

I'm pretty sure 14" 400s IS what you want to be running for your secondaries with a 392. What are your primaries? Also, nothing wrong with adding in a bit of preload.
That makes sense, I never knew what spring rates EVO went with for the 392. Do you know what upper rates they use?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense, I never knew what spring rates EVO went with for the 392. Do you know what upper rates they use?
I just talked to Mel about this yesterday. I believe he said he's running 200/400. Not sure what the rears were unfortunately. He said that he purposefully made his 392 have a taller stance and found that it offered a better ride. And, as luck would have it, I got to test it out and can confirm as much.

I just talked to Mel about this yesterday. I believe he said he's running 200/400. Not sure what the rears were unfortunately. He said that he purposefully made his 392 have a taller stance and found that it offered a better ride. And, as luck would have it, I got to test it out and can confirm as much.
Was that just on the front? Or did he change the rear as well.

disregard, I need to read better.

Lperdue

I can see that especially since you don’t have as much up travel due to engine clearance. A little taller lift would give the suspension room to cycle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was that just on the front? Or did he change the rear as well.

disregard, I need to read better.
LOL - Give Andrew a call. I'm pretty sure this is how they're going to be selling it now for 392s.
I can see that especially since you don’t have as much up travel due to engine clearance. A little taller lift would give the suspension room to cycle.
Yes, this exactly. There is a lot more room for the springs to do their job instead of just relying on the shocks. It offers a nicer ride and I hit some pretty big cutouts without bottoming out.

Lperdue

LOL - Give Andrew a call. I'm pretty sure this is how they're going to be selling it now for 392s.

Yes, this exactly. There is a lot more room for the springs to do their job instead of just relying on the shocks. It offers a nicer ride and I hit some pretty big cutouts without bottoming out.
With a 200 spring rate I would imagine it’s pretty plushy on road until you get into the secondaries. Any idea on the spacing between the slider and the stop nut.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a 200 spring rate I would imagine it’s pretty plushy on road until you get into the secondaries. Any idea on the spacing between the slider and the stop nut.
Yup, you always are riding on both springs and 200/400 = about 133 for daily driving. Basically, pretty plush. I didn't look but if I could guess, the timing rings are set about an inch or so above the slider up front.

Top Bottom