Engine clatter

jorgelrod

Hooked
I know the 3.6 have the tick they develop from the rollers. I have started noticing an engine clatter when I'm accelerating, most noticeable between the 2-3k rpm range. I plan to schedule an appointment with the dealership when I get back from a work trip since the jeep only has 7800 miles. I'm attaching a video, not sure if the clatter sound is super noticeable. Has anyone run into anything like this in their 19+ 3.6?

WJCO

Meme King
I know the 3.6 have the tick they develop from the rollers. I have started noticing an engine clatter when I'm accelerating, most noticeable between the 2-3k rpm range. I plan to schedule an appointment with the dealership when I get back from a work trip since the jeep only has 7800 miles. I'm attaching a video, not sure if the clatter sound is super noticeable. Has anyone run into anything like this in their 19+ 3.6?

I can only hear the fuel injectors ticking in the video, which is normal. I didn't really hear anything abnormal when you're accelerating. I occasionally get some pinging on mine when I'm at a lower speed and then accelerate up a hill. I've got 31k on mine.

JimLee

Hooked

I can't hear anything abnormal in your video, FWIW I think the factory tune on the 3.6's is shit because it's programmed to put fuel efficiency above anything else. Mine was noisy as hell, I started running 89 octane and it reduced the noise (but did not completely eliminate it). 35k on mine.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I can only hear the fuel injectors ticking in the video, which is normal. I didn't really hear anything abnormal when you're accelerating. I occasionally get some pinging on mine when I'm at a lower speed and then accelerate up a hill. I've got 31k on mine.
Thanks for the clarification. I just want to be sure seeing how new it is. Also this JT being more quiet than my JK, I feel I can hear almost every new noise when the radio is off no matter how tiny the sound

This sounds like my 2.0L engine. Sounds like a cranky sewing machine.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Quick Update, I took it to the dealership and they are replacing one cam, one rocker and one lifter. First tech was like that is normal sound but, when the Service rep drove it, he noticed it, drove a new one and confirmed the difference. He took it back and had the supervisor assigned another tech who started dismantling the engine and found the issue.

Service rep told me, I was a mechanic for ten years and that is not normal, I guess some techs are just lazy.

Gotta give him props for going to bat for his customer

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
That sound is totally normal - just your injectors. I wouldn't buy into the forum paranoia - just remember to change your oil every 5k or sooner (I do 3k mile oil changes (or 3 months)). Do not trust 10k mile oil change intervals and you'll be fine. It's true that some engines were incorrectly assembled with the exhaust lifters/lash adjusters on the intake side (ours are different from previous 3.6's as they have VVL). IMO these engines are solid and proven to be dependable.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That sound is totally normal - just your injectors. I wouldn't buy into the forum paranoia - just remember to change your oil every 5k or sooner (I do 3k mile oil changes (or 3 months)). Do not trust 10k mile oil change intervals and you'll be fine. It's true that some engines were incorrectly assembled with the exhaust lifters/lash adjusters on the intake side (ours are different from previous 3.6's as they have VVL). IMO these engines are solid and proven to be dependable.
Lol welcome? Clearly the dealer has forum paranoia as well since they replaced one cam, one rocker and one lifter.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Lol welcome? Clearly the dealer has forum paranoia as well since they replaced one cam, one rocker and one lifter.
Yup, you beat me to it, no paranoia, just parts that needed replacing. I am not a Jeep noob, and could definitely tell something was wrong. Thankfully so did the tech.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Unless I am missing something else- that was the problem video - i was curious if there was a before and after.
Considering these videos are recorded with an iphone mic might be why that original video is not super noticeable, but being on the vehicle hearing it and feeling at acceleration it was unmistakable that something was wrong. As I original stated, the new 3.6L sound have a normal clatter that sounds like a diesel compared to many other engines, but the clatter from this issue was more like an old Singer sowing machine between 2-3.5K and you could feel it, like the vibrations that an ARB compressor pushes through the chassis when you turn it on at that RPM range.

Top Bottom