Ellis Lake - East Side! (Of the Rubicon)

TheStick

So after more research (see other thread), Ellis Lake looks awesome.

Some background, I didn't plan too far in advance, so I am looking for a place that I can feel comfortable going in alone (although the more the merrier). The trek up to Ellis Lake looks like it would fit the bill. I would like to take the (from what I've read) harder trail by Buck Lake in, and then camp by Ellis Lake, and take a day trip on Saturday to Ellis Peak.

Just looking for information from others that have done this trail.

Cool to do alone? (JKUR on 35's)

Good camping spots by the lake?

I figure on the plus side it's not that far in so if something breaks the hike down would be doable. Any information I can get would be appreciated! :thumb:

TheStick

So I called Tahoe National Forest and apparently camping at Ellis isn't allowed. I would like to wish freedom it's best while it goes to heaven.

Anyways, camping at Buck Lake is allowed. The girl I talked to didn't even know why this was.

Man, in the late '90s I did a lot of backpacking, the rules are getting so hard to follow, back then we didn't think about it. Just hike and camp.

So I called Tahoe National Forest and apparently camping at Ellis isn't allowed. I would like to wish freedom it's best while it goes to heaven.

Anyways, camping at Buck Lake is allowed. The girl I talked to didn't even know why this was.

Man, in the late '90s I did a lot of backpacking, the rules are getting so hard to follow, back then we didn't think about it. Just hike and camp.

Me too! Some Free Country! B.S.

Rccrwlr

From the internets!

Blackwood Canyon, Ellis Peak 4x4 Road, California

Overview: Explores a beautiful, high area west of Lake Tahoe and is near the east end of the famous Rubicon Trail. Many lakes and viewpoints. Trail may not open until early July due to deer migration. Kaspian Campground and Picnic Area located on Highway 89 where you turn west on Barker Pass Road to reach trail. Trail is located in the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. For trail conditions and opening dates, call (530) 543-2600.

Moderate. Narrow, steep and rough in a few places but suitable for stock, high clearance SUVs. Some tight brush. Be careful when wet.

--rccrwlr

TheStick

Internets! :D

That is actually a different way in. I'm going in on the Buck Lake trail that spurs off the Rubicon.

pastorwug

Bear Lake is a beautiful spot on the east side of the Rubi as well, easy to get to, past the east staging area.

TheStick

Bear Lake is a beautiful spot on the east side of the Rubi as well, easy to get to, past the east staging area.

I was looking into this as well, does look like a cool spot. I am hoping to get up early enough to check a few spots out before setting up and picking the best spot we can find. Hopefully not too many people up there.

pastorwug

I was looking into this as well, does look like a cool spot. I am hoping to get up early enough to check a few spots out before setting up and picking the best spot we can find. Hopefully not too many people up there.

There was no one there when we went, and that was in the middle of last summer on a weekend. Not that easy to get there, definately a 4WD road

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So after more research (see other thread), Ellis Lake looks awesome.

Some background, I didn't plan too far in advance, so I am looking for a place that I can feel comfortable going in alone (although the more the merrier). The trek up to Ellis Lake looks like it would fit the bill. I would like to take the (from what I've read) harder trail by Buck Lake in, and then camp by Ellis Lake, and take a day trip on Saturday to Ellis Peak.

Just looking for information from others that have done this trail.

Cool to do alone? (JKUR on 35's)

Good camping spots by the lake?

I figure on the plus side it's not that far in so if something breaks the hike down would be doable. Any information I can get would be appreciated! :thumb:

I've been jeeping for a about a year, could a 13 wrangler sport with 3.5" lift and 33" tires make it on this trail?

TheStick

Really cool spot. Had a great weekend!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402868469.231341.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402868493.299706.jpg

Have some pics on the camera I'll have to get to. Overall a really cool spot.

TheStick

Here's a little vid to get an idea of the trail. Some of this is above Bucks Lake on the way to Ellis Peak.

Anyone interested in this trip I'd love to go again with a group :thumb:

Last edited:

LVJeepney

I've been jeeping for a about a year, could a 13 wrangler sport with 3.5" lift and 33" tires make it on this trail?

I just completed the rubicon trail with my rig, first time running the trail. 2013 JKU sport with 35" 2.5 lift, I have locker in the rear but didn't use. Sliders are a must.. Very doable ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402883607.785967.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402883652.618070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom