Easy mod to allow larger battery mounting!

Majik,

That's the reason why I went with the marine 34M. I hooked my winch up to the "auxiliary" terminals.

-Matt

-Matt

Majik,

That's the reason why I went with the marine 34M. I hooked my winch up to the "auxiliary" terminals.

-Matt

-Matt

Well now that I've confirmed (from the posts presented above) that they also carry a marine group 31M, it's like having an extra half of a 34M in there, too! (135min vs 205min reserve and 1150 CCA vs 850) Thanks again for the find!

Majik,

-Matt

-Matt

If the "auxiliary" terminals are anything like the side posts on a dual connection battery don't put your winch there, you could actually burn up the battery's internal connection as those connections are not designed for such a high current long duration load like when using your winch. I have read many posts on other forums stating that fact and they all got their facts from the batterys makers. Optima is one that states this fact when using a winch that comes to mind.

Jeff,

Thank you for the heads-up. Right now I only have the negative cable tied into the smaller negative (black) post. I have the positive cable attached to main positive terminal. Do you think that will be an issue.

Thanks.

-Matt

I actually think that the side posts on a side/top post battery are different. I believe that the dual top posts / aux posts on the Odyssey / DH Plat battery are one piece with the SAE posts, so the amp rating shouldn't differ. I have a call into Enersys (that makes the batteries) to verify this.

Those side posts on a typical dual post battery, IIRC, usually have a metal piece that wraps over the side to meet the terminal. The cover the whole thing with a plastic cover. It's been a while, though, since I saw a broken battery to verify this :)

I'll check on this.

Jeff,

Thank you for the heads-up. Right now I only have the negative cable tied into the smaller negative (black) post. I have the positive cable attached to main positive terminal. Do you think that will be an issue.

Thanks.

-Matt

I think it could be a problem, my suggestion is to put the winch cables on the SAE posts.

I actually think that the side posts on a side/top post battery are different. I believe that the dual top posts / aux posts on the Odyssey / DH Plat battery are one piece with the SAE posts, so the amp rating shouldn't differ. I have a call into Enersys (that makes the batteries) to verify this.

Those side posts on a typical dual post battery, IIRC, usually have a metal piece that wraps over the side to meet the terminal. The cover the whole thing with a plastic cover. It's been a while, though, since I saw a broken battery to verify this :)

I'll check on this.

I remember reading that the side posts can handle the high current load of a starter that of course you don't use for very long but they will melt the internal strap if you try using your winch. Just try to help, not a PITA. :)

I think it could be a problem, my suggestion is to put the winch cables on the SAE posts.

I remember reading that the side posts can handle the high current load of a starter that of course you don't use for very long but they will melt the internal strap if you try using your winch. Just try to help, not a PITA. :)

You may be right because of that relatively thin metal strap that wraps over the side to the side posts. I was just trying to say that I don't think the aux posts on the batteries I'm using for this project are built like a battery with true side posts. I believe the SAE lugs and the screw on terminals on the Enersys batteries are cast together in one solid metal chunk, thus shouldn't have the limitations that the 'strap' on a top/side post battery would. I will check on this, though :)

And you're NOT a PITA! This is a fun discussion and a potentially useful, cheap mod, IMO! :)

You may be right because of that relatively thin metal strap that wraps over the side to the side posts. I was just trying to say that I don't think the aux posts on the batteries I'm using for this project are built like a battery with true side posts. I believe the SAE lugs and the screw on terminals on the Enersys batteries are cast together in one solid metal chunk, thus shouldn't have the limitations that the 'strap' on a top/side post battery would. I will check on this, though :)

And you're NOT a PITA! This is a fun discussion and a potentially useful, cheap mod, IMO! :)

Well if the new batteries SAE and AUX posts are basically the same then your good to go. Let us know what you find please. I like it when we all can pass along info we have learned and people don't get all pissy, know what I mean!

Have a great day and weekend, mine starts in 27 minutes and lasts for 4 days!! Woo hoo come on 5pm!

Well if the new batteries SAE and AUX posts are basically the same then your good to go. Let us know what you find please. I like it when we all can pass along info we have learned and people don't get all pissy, know what I mean!

Have a great day and weekend, mine starts in 27 minutes and lasts for 4 days!! Woo hoo come on 5pm!

Will post the minute I find out. I will prob install my battery and finish the details for my 'Group 31 batt size mod' last tonight after I get off work, so keep an eye out for posts. It just makes me smile having the reassurance of such a large and durable battery given our uses...

Top Bottom