Don't buy MOPAR Beadlocks

rismeyer

Hi all,

I'm going to share my experience. I hope others have had better luck, but for me the MOPAR beadlocks have ended in disaster. There are 25 bolts per wheel holding the ring on, and about 70% of them have seized. When trying to remove them, the heads just break off (See photos). The amount of labor it would take or fix my wheels would be more than buying a whole new set. My new set (KMC Machete Crawl) is coming to around $3000 making this a rather expensive avoidable mistake.

I opened a case with Stellantis, and the dealer who looked at the problem (not the dealer who installed them) said in no unambiguous terms that they were installed incorrectly by the other Jeep dealer. Likely no anti-seize. The case stayed open for almost 4 weeks while Stellantis, the dealer who diagnosed the problem, and the dealer who installed the beadlocks in the first place when back and forth. While it seemed promising at first and the communication indicated they accepted responsibility, by the time it went up the corporate ladder and came back down they decided it was "Not a problem caused by installation".

No one outside of the Jeep dealer in question ever touched those wheels. So it's either a problem with the product, or a mistake made by the technician who installed it. Either way, they're responsible but they're still not doing anything about it.

I'd recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying and having these installed by a Jeep dealership to not do it. I'd recommend to anyone who already has these, check to make sure they were installed properly before it's too late and they seize up. Better to go to a reputable off-road shop, and even better yet get non-MOPAR beadlocks. If you are thinking (like I did) that buying MOPAR is the 'safe' bet and that you will have the backing of FCA/Stellantis you will find that's not the case.

Attachments

• PXL_20211108_155623659.jpg
    PXL_20211108_155623659.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20211108_155646245.jpg
    PXL_20211108_155646245.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 38

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Technically you’re not supposed to use anti seize on beadlocks bolts. I do it and have but if there was ever an issue they could blame you. They are supposed to be dry. Have you gotten a single bolt out? I would take the time with heat to get it out and see if they used locktite. And I would also never buy a beadlock without an insert. Kind of a dumb design.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Several years back I had AEV beadlocks that displayed a similar issue. The steel bolt threaded directly into aluminum as opposed to a steel insert. I had problems with galling and stripping out the aluminum. Part of it was lack of preventive maintenance on my part, however when I went with my bigger axles I bought KMC’s and have been super happy with them.

jesse3638

Hooked
Interesting. Tomorrow we're picking up our JL with the mopar beadlock capable wheels. They come without the rings so if I decide to convert them I'll have to buy them. My Racelines come with an insert like Overlander said. If it is steel into aluminum and I do decide to convert them I'll likely use a bit of anti-sieze. Thanks for the heads up. Also my Racelines have 32 bolts per wheel...haha.

rismeyer

Technically you’re not supposed to use anti seize on beadlocks bolts. I do it and have but if there was ever an issue they could blame you. They are supposed to be dry. Have you gotten a single bolt out? I would take the time with heat to get it out and see if they used locktite. And I would also never buy a beadlock without an insert. Kind of a dumb design.
Not many. About 70% break rate. Pretty awful. I may try when I'm back in Wisconsin (Currently I'm RVing around the country) to work harder at them in the garage, but I just don't have a good space to work right now. Certainly not worth the $ to have someone else wrench on them. Cost more than replacement.
Interesting. Tomorrow we're picking up our JL with the mopar beadlock capable wheels. They come without the rings so if I decide to convert them I'll have to buy them. My Racelines come with an insert like Overlander said. If it is steel into aluminum and I do decide to convert them I'll likely use a bit of anti-sieze. Thanks for the heads up. Also my Racelines have 32 bolts per wheel...haha.
Yeah, hope my experience prevents you from the same. That was my hope with posting. They were great wheels up till this point. Some preventative maintenance is definitely recommended. Don't just assume they'll come off when they need to like I did. :(
Several years back I had AEV beadlocks that displayed a similar issue. The steel bolt threaded directly into aluminum as opposed to a steel insert. I had problems with galling and stripping out the aluminum. Part of it was lack of preventive maintenance on my part, however when I went with my bigger axles I bought KMC’s and have been super happy with them.
Glad to hear. I think I'll be much happier with these KMC's too!

CalSgt

Hooked
I'm pretty sure my Walker Evans beadlocks for my RZR said to anti seize the bolts in the instructions but maybe I'm just remembering the internet telling me to. They are the non insert type but at least there are two sets of holes in the aluminum wheel so you can clock the ring if they get screwed up.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Hi all,

I'm going to share my experience. I hope others have had better luck, but for me the MOPAR beadlocks have ended in disaster. There are 25 bolts per wheel holding the ring on, and about 70% of them have seized. When trying to remove them, the heads just break off (See photos). The amount of labor it would take or fix my wheels would be more than buying a whole new set. My new set (KMC Machete Crawl) is coming to around $3000 making this a rather expensive avoidable mistake.

I opened a case with Stellantis, and the dealer who looked at the problem (not the dealer who installed them) said in no unambiguous terms that they were installed incorrectly by the other Jeep dealer. Likely no anti-seize. The case stayed open for almost 4 weeks while Stellantis, the dealer who diagnosed the problem, and the dealer who installed the beadlocks in the first place when back and forth. While it seemed promising at first and the communication indicated they accepted responsibility, by the time it went up the corporate ladder and came back down they decided it was "Not a problem caused by installation".

No one outside of the Jeep dealer in question ever touched those wheels. So it's either a problem with the product, or a mistake made by the technician who installed it. Either way, they're responsible but they're still not doing anything about it.

I'd recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying and having these installed by a Jeep dealership to not do it. I'd recommend to anyone who already has these, check to make sure they were installed properly before it's too late and they seize up. Better to go to a reputable off-road shop, and even better yet get non-MOPAR beadlocks. If you are thinking (like I did) that buying MOPAR is the 'safe' bet and that you will have the backing of FCA/Stellantis you will find that's not the case.
Sorry about your "experience," but this falls on you. It's your responsibility to know what is on your jeep and inspect it often. And really childish to go to a couple forums and cut/paste a rant about how its everyone else's fault and someone owes you free wheels cause you just now noticed your beadlock rings are held on by a bunch of seized bolts.

Sorry about your "experience," but this falls on you. It's your responsibility to know what is on your jeep and inspect it often. And really childish to go to a couple forums and cut/paste a rant about how its everyone else's fault and someone owes you free wheels cause you just now noticed your beadlock rings are held on by a bunch of seized bolts.

57E62AE9-B335-40C2-A65E-08577B33B556.jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
I had a few seized bolts on my Chamber Pro II's when I took them off. I was using hand tools only, no impact because I knew I'd probably break bolts that had not been touched in about 2 years. I sprayed them heavily over a couple of days with WD40 and tapped them lightly with a hammer between soakings but they all broke loose.

Try keeping them soaked with WD40 over a couple of days then tap them lightly with a hammer, you may still have to apply some heat but my guess would be the soaking and hammer tapping will be enough to break them loose.

rismeyer

I was/am aware that I lacked the knowledge which is why I outsourced it. This was my first Jeep. First offroad vehicle in general. I think the JL was a first for a lot of people, and while an experienced Jeeper (I am assuming you are) would know all of this there are those such as myself who either don't know and/or don't want to know/maintain it themselves.

There was a big marketing push from Jeep when the JL came out. "Buy everything MOPAR and get it installed and maintained at a Jeep dealer and we have you covered". That appealed to me so that's exactly what I did. I bought everything through the dealer, and paid them to do all maintenance (including inspections and recommendations). I supplied the cash, and they were suppose to take care of the rest.

I think there are others out there who also just want to drive. My post was intended to inform others so that hopefully someone didn't end up in the same situation. I think it accomplished that.

I was/am aware that I lacked the knowledge which is why I outsourced it. This was my first Jeep. First offroad vehicle in general. I think the JL was a first for a lot of people, and while an experienced Jeeper (I am assuming you are) would know all of this there are those such as myself who either don't know and/or don't want to know/maintain it themselves.

There was a big marketing push from Jeep when the JL came out. "Buy everything MOPAR and get it installed and maintained at a Jeep dealer and we have you covered". That appealed to me so that's exactly what I did. I bought everything through the dealer, and paid them to do all maintenance (including inspections and recommendations). I supplied the cash, and they were suppose to take care of the rest.

I think there are others out there who also just want to drive. My post was intended to inform others so that hopefully someone didn't end up in the same situation. I think it accomplished that.
Now you’re gonna catch a little more knowledge. ALLLLLL aftermarket products, even mopar, even Installed by dealer, carry no Jeep warranty- and may even void your Jeep warranty. So saying you trust in dealer to take care of everything is quite naive, seems like you already got that wake up call.
As far as “some people just drive, I supplied the cash” I really don’t mind people that don’t know things yet and are learning the ins and outs, but If you’re saying you have no intention of learning things and just want to feel cool in your lifted Jeep with shiny wheels, stay at the mall and keep the hell off the trails- it’s people like you that are ruining land, causing closures, and wrecking the activity and reputation in general. You won’t find many Jeep friends with that attitude, go buy a rzr if you want to take that approach.

TrailHunter

Hooked

I think it is REALLY important for a anyone who is going to take their vehicle offroad and push its limits.... to understand how to maintain their own rig to the best of their ability... and not depend on others. For some (most), it's a learning process.

MericaMade

I think it is REALLY important for a anyone who is going to take their vehicle offroad and push its limits.... to understand how to maintain their own rig to the best of their ability... and not depend on others. For some (most), it's a learning process.
Agreed, I have come across a lot of people who don’t carry a single tool and can’t even change a tire but have thousands of dollars in after market parts installed by a shop. Baffles me.

rismeyer

Now you’re gonna catch a little more knowledge. ALLLLLL aftermarket products, even mopar, even Installed by dealer, carry no Jeep warranty- and may even void your Jeep warranty. So saying you trust in dealer to take care of everything is quite naive, seems like you already got that wake up call.
As far as “some people just drive, I supplied the cash” I really don’t mind people that don’t know things yet and are learning the ins and outs, but If you’re saying you have no intention of learning things and just want to feel cool in your lifted Jeep with shiny wheels, stay at the mall and keep the hell off the trails- it’s people like you that are ruining land, causing closures, and wrecking the activity and reputation in general. You won’t find many Jeep friends with that attitude, go buy a rzr if you want to take that approach.
Why all the hostility? I feel like this thread is getting a little out of hand.

Should I know more. Sure. I don't think I'm debating that. Am I learning. Yes, just like any beginner. But the statements like calling me childish (Jeeep) or to suggest that I'm ruining the trails (Snboarder113) and should stick to mall crawling really aren't merited. You don't know me. All you know is I made a mistake in trusting that my dealership would service all the needs for my beadlocks. I'm paying for that, and I hope my experience prevents someone else from the same.

I still have a lot to learn about maintenance, but as far as trail experience goes I'd definitely call myself an intermediate now. I've got years of experience at this point and am always responsible on the trail. I've never gone somewhere I shouldn't, I've never wrecked any trails, I've even put in hours maintaining trails with the local Jeep club.

We all love our Jeeps here, and we should be encouraging and inviting to those who are greener. Many people who responded have been (Thanks by the way), but making sweeping assumptions about me or what type of person I am or how I drive on the trails is really too much.

Hostility is caused when you joined the site to crap on a product, which was mostly let slide as you are clearly inexperienced and admitted it’s mostly your doing not the product. Live and learn and what not.

But then said “people like me that don’t know or WANT to know” and that is SO MANY red flags, and falls squarely into the groups of entitled shits that go throw a bunch of cash at a wrangler and think they’re hot shit and go tear up trails vandalize and litter throwing Busch light empties out the window all the way to the scene of where you’re stuck on private land you’re not allowed to be on and trying to figure out how a winch works for the first time as you only bought it to fill the gap in your bumper, or trying to change a tire with the Jeep jacked up the full 48” of hi-lift waiting to fall.

So hopefully that doesn’t describe you, but it absolutely describes people that don’t care to learn things.

rismeyer

Hostility is caused when you joined the site to crap on a product, which was mostly let slide as you are clearly inexperienced and admitted it’s mostly your doing not the product. Live and learn and what not.

But then said “people like me that don’t know or WANT to know” and that is SO MANY red flags, and falls squarely into the groups of entitled shits that go throw a bunch of cash at a wrangler and think they’re hot shit and go tear up trails vandalize and litter throwing Busch light empties out the window all the way to the scene of where you’re stuck on private land you’re not allowed to be on and trying to figure out how a winch works for the first time as you only bought it to fill the gap in your bumper, or trying to change a tire with the Jeep jacked up the full 48” of hi-lift waiting to fall.

So hopefully that doesn’t describe you, but it absolutely describes people that don’t care to learn things.

No, that definitely doesn't describe me. I don't like it when people ruin trails or aren't courteous to others as well.

I didn't join to crap on the product. I couldn't remember my old login information so I was actually rejoining. I first joined back in 2018, but admittedly I don't post much.

You're absolutely welcome to disagree with me and even educate me on the proper maintenance, but please don't make assumptions about me or anyone else for that matter.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
No, that definitely doesn't describe me. I don't like it when people ruin trails or aren't courteous to others as well.

I didn't join to crap on the product. I couldn't remember my old login information so I was actually rejoining. I first joined back in 2018, but admittedly I don't post much.

You're absolutely welcome to disagree with me and even educate me on the proper maintenance, but please don't make assumptions about me or anyone else for that matter.
Don't take it all personally. It's a forum and everyone here has their own views based on their experiences. And of course - hindsight is 20/20. When you're pissed off and seeing red for being in a crappy situation, it's just easy think you were set up. We've all been there, but lucky for you - You've got us to give it to you straight. :cool:

MOPAR accessories aren't any better than anything else. Dealerships tell their customers to buy whatever products they sell because of this or that, when in actuality its no difference than any other product. It's just business.

Personally, I don't use anti seize on my bolts, but that is because I live in Arizona. If I lived in a climate of extreme cold, rain, mud, etc. I would use anti seize. I think wheel companies avoid this question because of liability, and they just give basic install instructions, if any, and are very clear that beadlocks are for off-road use only.

I'm by no means a professional, this is just my hobby, but one thing I know to be absolutely true is that no one is going to give your jeep the time, and attention to detail then you. Not the classy fabricator churning out $200K custom buggies, and certainly not the techs at a dealership. It's just not going to happen. Always check it over yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom