Do you trailer or drive your Jeep to the big runs?

jeeeep

Hooked
4.5 hrs if heavy crappy traffic and you drive like Miss Daisy! I usually get there in just under 4 and I live 45 mins north of the airport. Cant wait to get back down there and hit the trails again.

true, but with 37s inclines get slow going with a full load. usually takes me about 4hrs fully packed from salt lake.

toxicwaste29

I prefer driving mine how I always bring a set of tools and travel with someone else so when one of our rigs breaks we can drive the other into town for parts. Finding parts though can be a hassle

e.miller

I drive my rig....I've trailered in the past....for a long trip it's worth it just to keep road miles off the jeep...but I don't do it much anymore...its just more money in the end.

holliewood61

I trailer mine most every where but on the same note it is a 34 year old jeep with no over drive and 4.88's. It has a v8 that seems to get gallons to the mile, and the 37's were a big investment for a poor boy like me so chewing them up on the highway doesn't interest me. Stupid unexpected things happen on the trail. I recently took off to a park a little over 3 hrs from home and ended up breaking the steering arm off the knuckle, in turn breaking the drag link and clearing the ears off the inner and outer axle shafts. Had i not trailered i would have been screwed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I trailer mine most every where but on the same note it is a 34 year old jeep with no over drive and 4.88's. It has a v8 that seems to get gallons to the mile, and the 37's were a big investment for a poor boy like me so chewing them up on the highway doesn't interest me. Stupid unexpected things happen on the trail. I recently took off to a park a little over 3 hrs from home and ended up breaking the steering arm off the knuckle, in turn breaking the drag link and clearing the ears off the inner and outer axle shafts. Had i not trailered i would have been screwed.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, there are places in this country where there are no "parks" and places that are 3 hours away or way more from the nearest pavement.

Charles

I have often wondered driving with the family if I should get a truck and trailer just to be safe and know we can get back. However, I can't seem to justify the cost of buying the truck or trailer for only that reason. Im like most on this post i think. Love the time of driving to and from the areas we go with the family in the jeep. Big part of the reason of building and owning the jeep for me is just that. Yes i could do better in gas and more comfortable ride in other vehicles but why. Its a jeep and we love it. I don't think one way is better then the rest just a personal choice. Also, for myself when I'm in a challenging spot on the trail the extra thought of "oh shit we got to get home in this rig" gives me a little extra boost to not go overboard...

holliewood61

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, there are places in this country where there are no "parks" and places that are 3 hours away or way more from the nearest pavement.

I know this, but that isn't the case here on the east coast. Im sure my rig would be set up differently and my driving style would be altered if I were wheeling the vast expanses out west. Around here we have trail systems that all lead back to a trailhead, and it just makes sense for me to tote the jeep down and be able to wheel without regard.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know this, but that isn't the case here on the east coast. Im sure my rig would be set up differently and my driving style would be altered if I were wheeling the vast expanses out west. Around here we have trail systems that all lead back to a trailhead, and it just makes sense for me to tote the jeep down and be able to wheel without regard.

Got it. I totally understand how where you live will make a difference in how you build and use your Jeep.

Tumbleweed

I prefer to trailer my Jeep. Long distance or short, things can happen that will require a tow back to civilization. I choose not to inconvenience someone else by using their trailer. Plus, I can always carry more tools, parts etc. Welder, compressor, generator, you name it.
4B75B070-096B-4271-8A81-43B658263404-3093-000003F6D07917FA.jpg

holliewood61

Got it. I totally understand how where you live will make a difference in how you build and use your Jeep.

It must be nice to be able to get that far out though. You cant go 3 hours in any direction here on the east coast without passing 5 Wal-Mart's.

bsimon187

I have often wondered driving with the family if I should get a truck and trailer just to be safe and know we can get back. However, I can't seem to justify the cost of buying the truck or trailer for only that reason. Im like most on this post i think. Love the time of driving to and from the areas we go with the family in the jeep. Big part of the reason of building and owning the jeep for me is just that. Yes i could do better in gas and more comfortable ride in other vehicles but why. Its a jeep and we love it. I don't think one way is better then the rest just a personal choice. Also, for myself when I'm in a challenging spot on the trail the extra thought of "oh shit we got to get home in this rig" gives me a little extra boost to not go overboard...

I was in the same boat, until my son started riding. Once he started going and I had a few times where I broke and had to borrow a friends trailer, I ended up trading in the minivan for a ram 2500. My wife likes it better now on long weekends as those 2 can kick back and sleep comfortably on the way home. Short trips with just me, I'll take the jeep solo. So for me the old adage of happy wife happy life helped make my decision. Plus when the jeep is under the knife, I have a nice big truck to drive. :)

Bosunmate

I'm blessed with being able to have a month off at a time so I drive my Jeep only on back road for most off my trips. This usually takes me twice as long and I'm also kind of conservative on the trails as I want to drive it home. My next long trip will be to run some Colorado mountain passes from South Carolina. This trip will take me about two and a half weeks with a stop in Denver to visit family.

Bottom line is no trailer for me. But I'm available to drive anyone's rig across country for them. I promise not to drive it like a rental car.......

holliewood61

I guess I should add, when I take the cj out it is about the destination not the trip. I built it for the trails. We do have a tj that we take to enjoy the trip, weather riding the Blue Ridge or Skyline parkway, or just hitting the back roads of Virginia and West Virginia. I don't feel that I am missing out on the experience at all, just different rigs for different purposes. I know it isn't ideal or practical for everyone to have a truck & trailer, trail rig, cruiser, and daily drivers. It's just how it's worked out for us.

MC2003TJ

I used to drive the Jeep to and from all of the trails. 10 hrs topless from Los Angeles to the Rubicon Trail head was a very noisy ride and I had to wear ear plugs. When my sons were old enough to take on the long trips I had to resort to flat towing the Jeep Behind the Suburban. Two kids and gear in a TJ is tight to say the least. Tows like a dream and don't really feel it unless it is a very steep grade up or down hill.

Toxic

Love driving to all of our trips. Love how we can just say oh hell lets go hit these trails for a little bit or just head off the beaten path

RCSRubi

This topic is very much on my mind. I have just recently joined this forum and this is indeed my first post. While I have had several Jeeps and wheeled some locally, I desperately want to get out west in the next few years. I just purchased a 2015 JKUR this spring and am starting to plan my build. The Rubicon is a large investment for my income and a dependable tow rig and trailer are not an option financially. So I am glad to here allot of u drive your rigs over long distances to wheel and and drive back. I will be reading as much as possible as to learn just what is needed to prepare my Jeep for not only wheeling out west, but getting it there and back as dependabely and comfortablely as possible.

WarriorJeep

This topic is very much on my mind. I have just recently joined this forum and this is indeed my first post. While I have had several Jeeps and wheeled some locally, I desperately want to get out west in the next few years. I just purchased a 2015 JKUR this spring and am starting to plan my build. The Rubicon is a large investment for my income and a dependable tow rig and trailer are not an option financially. So I am glad to here allot of u drive your rigs over long distances to wheel and and drive back. I will be reading as much as possible as to learn just what is needed to prepare my Jeep for not only wheeling out west, but getting it there and back as dependabely and comfortablely as possible.

Welcome to WAL don't forget to stop here http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave and give us a wave

Currently I drive to and from everything, but this will change soon. I have an 85 Bronco that I'm building out pre-runner style and should be done this summer. Once its done the wife has "dibs" on it with the understanding that it will be the tow rig when we go places like Moab, RT, and such. And for the record, the Bronco build including the vehicle will only cost us about $7k when its done. So not a bad tow rig really, and capable enough to join on in the fun for most things.

Ddays

Hooked
Turns out we're gonna drive out & back! All agreed that this would be a great time to see some sights along the way and, at least for the kids, may be the only chance to experience a trip like this. Hope the gas prices stay as low as they are now!

YAYMUD

I personally don't have a big trailer, or another tow vehicle, but in all honestly if I did I would definitely trailer to an event. Main reason is I often want to push myself and my Jeep harder than I do. I find myself holding back on some obstacles because I need to be sure I can drive it home after. I would love to know I could wheel a little harder with the knowledge that if I broke a major component, I could (hopefully) put it on a trailer to get it home, rather than being forced to fix it on the trail, be stranded, or worse leave it behind to retrieve later. Luckily Ive only had small stuff break on the trail so far, so its been manageable. If I had a way, I would trailer.

Top Bottom