Do you prefer “On X Off” or “Trails Offroad” (with Gaia)?

Every app or software for trail maps I've used seems to always be inaccurate or incomplete and even both.

I prefer a good old paper map if I can't tail behind buddies who know their way around a trail or area that's new to me.

Out of the ones you said I have tried Gaia and it was awful, has almost none of the trails I wanted to run, and On X Offroad seems pretty popular but I'm pretty sure it's a subscription service if you want to use it offline and download maps of areas etc, and I wouldn't pay for something like that but if you want to it's definitely better of the two.

I'm completely oblivious to any other software for trail maps that exists, but I've heard of those two.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Every app or software for trail maps I've used seems to always be inaccurate or incomplete and even both.

I prefer a good old paper map if I can't tail behind buddies who know their way around a trail or area that's new to me.

Out of the ones you said I have tried Gaia and it was awful, has almost none of the trails I wanted to run, and On X Offroad seems pretty popular but I'm pretty sure it's a subscription service if you want to use it offline and download maps of areas etc, and I wouldn't pay for something like that but if you want to it's definitely better of the two.

I'm completely oblivious to any other software for trail maps that exists, but I've heard of those two.
🤔 is this actual experience or what you are repeating from what you heard online? Paper maps are good yes, but the rest is not accurate. I would guess user error.

FFPulley77

Hooked
Gaia. Like Merica said, loading the .gpx is easy. I’ve made multiple routes in different colors for planning multi-day wheeling trips and it works well.
I don’t have any experience with on-X

bhaner

Gaia just works. I used Avenza in Sand Hollow because it was the only place I could find some of the trails. Once I recorded the track in Gaia I never went back.

Boudain

I typically off road at Hidden Falls off road park here in Texas. I used that, and Big Bend as a baseline for my mapping needs. On X off-road had most of the trails in Big Bend, but in hidden falls, it had like a part of two of the trails. However Gaia had almost all the trail info for Hidden Falls, as well as Big Bend. After that I made the purchase for Gaia (Black Friday 50% off).

Side bonus, if you have Apple Car Play Gaia displays on the screen. This feature is supposed to come to On X soon

HTH

FFPulley77

Hooked
I typically off road at Hidden Falls off road park here in Texas. I used that, and Big Bend as a baseline for my mapping needs. On X off-road had most of the trails in Big Bend, but in hidden falls, it had like a part of two of the trails. However Gaia had almost all the trail info for Hidden Falls, as well as Big Bend. After that I made the purchase for Gaia (Black Friday 50% off).

Side bonus, if you have Apple Car Play Gaia displays on the screen. This feature is supposed to come to On X soon

HTH
I’ve never used it at Hidden Falls, I’ve only ever used a paper map. I’m making a run out there on the 11th, I’m going to check it out. Cool!🤙🏼

Boudain

I’ve never used it at Hidden Falls, I’ve only ever used a paper map. I’m making a run out there on the 11th, I’m going to check it out. Cool!🤙🏼
I was out there a few weeks back with only the paper map. I’m not the best at navigating that place and lets just say the paper map was as accurate as a map from the 1800s lol. Especially when you get around the falls. Hopefully it’s more accurate in Gaia.

MericaMade

HTH
Gaia does this with Android Auto as well be is limited. You can only zoom in/out and cant scan or search for tails up ahead? Can you do that with carplay?

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
I will say direct comparison with On X and Gaia, Gaia prevailed. Scouting some hunting spots out in AZ we kept running into closed gates that never showed up on On X. Gaia showed the gates acutely as well as a couple significant water crossings. Dropping pins and mapping the trails we had no issue with Gaia getting us in/out on the trip.

Hiking trails are incredibly accurate as well. Comes in nice on seldom used trails that it’s not obvious.
Scott

CalSgt

Hooked
I bought OnX for a Moab trip this year and didn’t think it was worth the subscription. One of the guys in my group bought a laminated book for the same price and it was far more helpful

I use OnX hunt to track where I’ve been sometimes, paying the subscription for that seems worthwhile on years I draw a decent deer tag

We tried both to see which was better before starting a full subscription and we liked Gaia better and it has been both accurate and great detail. The tracking in the field is great and we were able to find a little used obscure hiking trail up in Oregon we needed and it was shown and spot on.

Top Bottom