Death Wobble, this is different than the typical stories

bl17z90

So my rear track bar is bent, like a pulled it over a rock and the JK has been laid up for a few days. Found a good deal on a Rusty's rear adjustable at a local shop and they really push rusty's products. Does anyone have any experience with these?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So my rear track bar is bent, like a pulled it over a rock and the JK has been laid up for a few days. Found a good deal on a Rusty's rear adjustable at a local shop and they really push rusty's products. Does anyone have any experience with these?

whoa, no way!! how the hell did you manage to bend a factory track bar?? i run a super heavy prorock 60 and super heavy 40x15.50 tires and beadlock wheels and still run a factory rear track bar without any problems. if anything, it's about the strongest track bar you can get.

having said that, there's no way that a rear track bar being bent would cause or even instigate DW.

bl17z90

Its not factory, the arv 2.5 inch kit comes with a rear track bar for some reason.....and it looks like the jeep was towed by the track bar which i know was never done so i assume i came down on it last time i went wheeling and thats how it bent.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its not factory, the arv 2.5 inch kit comes with a rear track bar for some reason.....and it looks like the jeep was towed by the track bar which i know was never done so i assume i came down on it last time i went wheeling and thats how it bent.

ah, okay. well, if your kit came with a rear track bar relocation bracket, i might just reinstall your factory rear track bar and call it a day :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
bl17z90 said:

Nevermind:)

rinkishjk

bl17z90 said:

My friend has an aev kit, and his rear track bar was bent and I found it while we were looking around for issues. He bought a jks adj and all has been good.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121127_192921.png
    ForumRunner_20121127_192921.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 43
  • ForumRunner_20121127_192934.png
    ForumRunner_20121127_192934.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 42

rinkishjk

wayoflife said:
wtf?? how the hell did that happen?

No marks on the bar except at the bend from the force.. He wheels it, but it didn't hit anything.
He was having drivability issues, and this on top of an off center rear axle, play in the drag link, and something else which I'm forgetting atm, was what I found. I was surprised to find it, and almost missed it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
My friend has an aev kit, and his rear track bar was bent and I found it while we were looking around for issues. He bought a jks adj and all has been good.

It can happen if you bounce hard on the rear drivers wheel. I'm suprised nothing else broke like an axle shaft. Are you sure it didnt hit the exhaust while under stress?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Skip the bracket and put the factory back? Then the whole axel will be off center though.

lifting your jeep will cause your rear axle to shift over to the passenger side of your jeep. installing a relocation bracket will allow your track bar to sit more level again and that alone will recenter your axle. depending on the size of the relocation bracket and total lift you have, you may be off +/- a 1/4". really, not enough to matter.

your axle goes off center as soon as you hit a bump or get into your vehicle, 1/4" or so what matter

yup. for every bump you hit in the road, your axle will move off center. load up your jeep with a ton of gear and/or people and it will be off center. lighten up your load and it will be off center. it's really not that big of a deal.

rinkishjk

ChrisB said:
It can happen if you bounce hard on the rear drivers wheel. I'm suprised nothing else broke like an axle shaft. Are you sure it didnt hit the exhaust while under stress?

It's the stock pipe which has that flat spot in that area.. The only paint missing was where the bend was, so I don't think it hit anything.. I would think the exhaust would bend before the track bar.
He recently broke an axle shaft, but pushing his jk past the limit.. It broke in 3 places. Idk if it's related but I figured I'd toss it out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's the stock pipe which has that flat spot in that area.. The only paint missing was where the bend was, so I don't think it hit anything.. I would think the exhaust would bend before the track bar.
He recently broke an axle shaft, but pushing his jk past the limit.. It broke in 3 places. Idk if it's related but I figured I'd toss it out there.

oh, i'm sure it's related. sounds like he needs to slow down or upgrade to a full float 60 :crazyeyes:

bl17z90

Atleast now i don't feel insain, i guess that bar aev sells just can't cut it.

Last edited:

bl17z90

So after going over some issues i touched already i found the track bar loose.

I actually looked at your video on the project jk site and saw thr bar movement so i decided to checj the same thing.

I can't beleive i missed this before because it i pretty loose on the axle mount but the problem is my nerdy ass can't get it tight enough (past 130 ft lb) to keep it still, any suggestions?

Skirmish

I believe proper torque is 125 ft lbs. What does the mount hole look like? If it is ovaled at all or the bolt has too much play you need to either get some washers welded over them or get brackets that fit over or replace the stock brackets.

One thing to look out for if you get brackets is that some axle side brackets raise your trackbar. If you go that route you will need to flip your drag link to match it. I know JKS makes braces for axle and frame side. I've used the JKS axle side tb brace and it was solid. It also relocates your steering stabilizer.

Top Bottom