Death Wobble help in AZ!

WinTheDay

Hey Guys,

Admittedly a Newbie to the Jeep world, I've been battling the dreaded DW in my '09 X with a 3.5" AEV Coil Lift. I'm looking for anybody with some experience with DW in the Phoenix AZ area who'd like to get under my Jeep with me and help me figure it out! I'm tired of listening to the Dealership and local 4x4 shops hmmm and haw around the subject and not have any solutions. To be clear I've read all the requisite threads regarding DW and what to look for, but again I'm a newb and am just looking for someone who'd like to lend a helping hand and teach me some stuff!

Yep, I have. I think my next project to try and correct it will be to replace the 14mm TB bolts with 9/16 grade 8 Bolts to make sure there isn't any slop in the bushings when hitting those transitions in the HWY.

Well, before you go about changing bolts, have you made sure that the bolt you have in now is tightened to 125-130 ft. lbs. of torque? Also, have you verified with a dial indicator that your ball joints are in good shape?

Well, before you go about changing bolts, have you made sure that the bolt you have in now is tightened to 125-130 ft. lbs. of torque? Also, have you verified with a dial indicator that your ball joints are in good shape?

I've re-torqued the bolts after each case of DW to 125. The ball joints are something I haven't checked out, JK's only got 20k miles on it so I was under the impression ball joints should be okay.

I've re-torqued the bolts after each case of DW to 125. The ball joints are something I haven't checked out, JK's only got 20k miles on it so I was under the impression ball joints should be okay.

I wouldn't assume that. I have seen ball joints go bad in less than 5,000 miles. It happens and you should give it a look.

I wouldn't assume that. I have seen ball joints go bad in less than 5,000 miles. It happens and you should give it a look.

Good to know, now I just need someone who knows their way around the underside of a jk a little better than I to help me out! Ball Joints are a little outside of my comfort zone right now!

Is this the AEV kit that has the control arm brackets to change the angle and original mounting points of the control arms? Did you do the install?
I'd also check the front and rear axle centering, did you have the front end aligned after?

Good to know, now I just need someone who knows their way around the underside of a jk a little better than I to help me out! Ball Joints are a little outside of my comfort zone right now!

It's too bad you aren't a bit closer to me as I would give it a look. Good luck to you.

Is this the AEV kit that has the control arm brackets to change the angle and original mounting points of the control arms? Did you do the install?
I'd also check the front and rear axle centering, did you have the front end aligned after?

The axles being off center will not make a difference. If you think about it, they are off center the minute you load up your Jeep or lighten it up by removing things like a hard top and doors. It's just the nature of how a solid axle works.

Mine was coming from bad ball joints. I would definitely have yours checked. Good luck!

Unfortunately, that is a common source for DW.

Unfortunately, that is a common source for DW.

Fortunately, DW is an effective way to wake yourself up on the morning commute. If you're truly skilled you can drink a Starbucks whilst riding it out with one hand. Ask me how I know. :crazyeyes:

Fortunately, DW is an effective way to wake yourself up on the morning commute. If you're truly skilled you can drink a Starbucks whilst riding it out with one hand. Ask me how I know. :crazyeyes:

:shock::cheesy:.....

I have had really good service with the guys at 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix you might stop in and talk to Ben if your in the area.

The axles being off center will not make a difference. If you think about it, they are off center the minute you load up your Jeep or lighten it up by removing things like a hard top and doors. It's just the nature of how a solid axle works.

true..I was mostly noting all the things I found after getting my hands dirty and going through the install since the installer couldn't or didn't want to deal with fixing my issue...anyway I learned a lot in doing so and solved the issue. :beer:

WinTheDay said:
Hey Guys,

Admittedly a Newbie to the Jeep world, I've been battling the dreaded DW in my '09 X with a 3.5" AEV Coil Lift. I'm looking for anybody with some experience with DW in the Phoenix AZ area who'd like to get under my Jeep with me and help me figure it out! I'm tired of listening to the Dealership and local 4x4 shops hmmm and haw around the subject and not have any solutions. To be clear I've read all the requisite threads regarding DW and what to look for, but again I'm a newb and am just looking for someone who'd like to lend a helping hand and teach me some stuff!

Not sure what part of town your in but if you don't mind driving north of the 101and i17 ill be glad to take a look and help you out any day next week just shoot me a pm.

I helped a friend install a RC 3-1/4" lift on a 2007 JKR that now has slight death wobble. First off the lift is junk and has way to much body roll. So this weekend it will get replaced with a 3-1/2" Rugged Ridge lift. When I was looking for a replacement lift I talked to Quadratec salesman and he mentioned that the track bar and drag link should be parallel to help prevent DW. Also it kind of seems like the higher you go up, the front will experience more bump steer. We are going to try a track bar bracket and maybe a drop pitman arm to level out the track bar. Then maybe a high steer kit. And yes the bolts are tight and the ball joints are also. Front is aligned. Caster is off but I think that just makes the front end flighty. Any thoughts ?

BTW, when I called RC the guy was no help at all. I learned more in 2 min. with the Quadratec phone sales guy.

I helped a friend install a RC 3-1/4" lift on a 2007 JKR that now has slight death wobble. First off the lift is junk and has way to much body roll. So this weekend it will get replaced with a 3-1/2" Rugged Ridge lift. When I was looking for a replacement lift I talked to Quadratec salesman and he mentioned that the track bar and drag link should be parallel to help prevent DW. Also it kind of seems like the higher you go up, the front will experience more bump steer. We are going to try a track bar bracket and maybe a drop pitman arm to level out the track bar. Then maybe a high steer kit. And yes the bolts are tight and the ball joints are also. Front is aligned. Caster is off but I think that just makes the front end flighty. Any thoughts ?

BTW, when I called RC the guy was no help at all. I learned more in 2 min. with the Quadratec phone sales guy.

IF you install a track bar relocation bracket up front, you NEED to install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip and the same time. It is critical to keep both parallel to each other and using a drag link flip is the better way to go. Having said that, doing so WILL NOT prevent DW, only help to provide better handling and prevent bump steer, that's it. As far as orange knuckles go, before you buy a set, think about how little they'll actually do for as much money as they cost. Being that you're tie-rod will only sit about an inch higher than stock, you'd be better served to just use the money you would have otherwise spent to get them and forward it to a heavy duty tie rod like what Currie makes. Being that you will still hit your tie rod with or without an additional inch or so of clearance, this will at least give you peace of mind that it won't matter. But then, that's just me.

:cheesy::cheesy:Too funny! Didn't spill the starbucks, but how were your shorts?:cheesy::cheesy:

Top Bottom