Dang - Just hit 30k and like clockwork it's in the shot...

Solar Dude

This bums me out too, it's making me think buying a JK was a mistake. I bought a rubicon because nothing else is nearly as capible off road but it's not worth it if it's constantly in the dealer nickle and diming me to death.

bonedaddy

Update to the 30k disaster...

So I go to pick it up finally last wednesday during lunch and they informed me that after all that, the technical mis diagnosed the leak and it ended up being the Upper Oil Pan gasket ... so they replaced both the upper and lower oil pan gaskets, guessing to be on the safe side... So all in all they replaced the rear main seal twice for no reason whats so ever... who knows it looked like the rear main seal to me, but they said it was the way it was leaking and was coming down the seam...

So I get back to work and put it in reverse to back into the parking space and the damn thing starts rattling like a mofo! So i put it in drive and nothing... put it back in reverse and rattleing like crazy... so I julled the parking brake, left it in reverse and took a look under... the f'n idiots have the exhaust sitting right on top if the crossbeam, so of course it's rattling like hell! So when they dropped the trans. to do the rear main seal for the second time they didn't readjust the hanger and just bolted everything back up... not sure how they didn't hear it, or why it wouldn't be doing it when they backed it out of there bay, but who knows...

So I am beyond pissed! Call the guy and tell him I am bringing it back to them after work and they either need to fix it then or get me set up with another car and have it done by the morning! So when I get there they are waiting for me, and bring it around back and tell me to give them like 10 minutes... 45 minutes go by and they want to bring me back there to show me why it's rattling... it's because I did not have an exhaust spacer kit and who ever did my lift should have put one on and this is why I have a rattle and it's laying on the crossmember... I turn and look at this Fred Durst looking mofo and informed him that not only did I do the life myself, but until they touched the damn thing it never had a rattle... not even when wheelin it, not a sound... but that is there answer... so they adjusted it up to where I have like a 1/4" of space between the exhaust and crossmember - so it looks like thats to these assholes I should look into one of these spacer kits now...

So I drive it home that night, super excited to have my jeep, drive it too and from work on Thursday no problems...

bonedaddy

so Thursday night I am prepping for Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach because we were going over there Friday for work, get it washed and getting ready to load it and the fucker is dead! Turn the key and nothing, the dash lights up and thats it, not a click, no noise at all... fucken dead! To me it was acting like it was still in gear, so I naturally think it's something with the tranny linkage, maybe that cable issue everyone has that the jeep just isn;t actually registering it is in park ... fuck with the shifter going through R, N D and finally get it to turn over... shut it down and dead again... messing with it a bit more and it starts, shut it down and nothing... I am going back and forth with Dave (Frogmech) and Terry (TwistedJK) for a bit, they are thinking the same thing so I am over, under and around this damn thing and nothing... It made sense seeing they dropped the tranny to do the seal and probrably f'ed up the linkage... so at this point it's about midnight when I decide to turn in because we have to get up at 4am for Jeep Beach - and even though I have no jeep, I still have to go because I have to do interviews, etc for this video we are suppose to be shooting... so long story short we end up having to "borrow" our camera mans JKU for the day... all in all it worked out for the most part...

I called the dealer and left a message letting him know how pissed I am, etc... that I am in Daytona with out my jeep because it's dead and I will get with him on Monday because I couldn;t deal with that and do my job...

So I tried the jeep a few times through out the weekend, nothing...

Monday 7am - I call the dealer Monday morning (had to wait for the dealer to set up/approved the overage for the towing) and they set up the towing...

not a sight anyone really wants to see... but wouldn't you know, the tow truck shows up and the guy informs me he need to pull it up on the bed from the front so we are going to have to push it out of the yard... so just for shits and giggles rather than just turning the key to acc to switch it into neutral I try starting it and bam, the bitch starts! So I drive it around to the back of the truck and as he it hooking it up I figured for the hell of it I would try it again and nothing - dead again...

2016-04-25 08.33.19.jpg

get to the dealer, of course they are "so sorry" he is handing it over again to the shop manager to oversee, etc... I get my newest rental... I should be doing car reviews for Chrysler with all my experience I am gaining jumping from car to car...

2016-04-25 10.21.01.jpg

and I head off to work 3 hours late...

Tuesday morning, I am still waiting to hear the verdict from the dealer... yeah...

Last edited:

bonedaddy

Well they said it was the starter, replaced it and so far so good ...

So at 30k they have has to replace the Idler Pulley, Upper Oil Pan Gasket and now the Starter ... They say everything happens in 3's so in theory I should be good now right? ;)

Robicon

Thats the nice thing about the warranty... So far on my 2014 JKUR, I have lost a fuel sending unit and a right front u joint. The dealer took a while but found the fuel issue and took care of it as fast as they could. The u joint beat up the outer shaft yoke so bad (freeway home :)) that they replaced the entire axle under warranty. I agree it is a pain to take it in, but this is not isolated to Jeeps or Wranglers. I lost an 02 sensor on my Tundra and they had to replace the manifold...

Just my .02, shit happens and a good dealer will take care of you under warranty. once the warranty is up, then the upgrades get installed and the game changes. good luck and hopefully you can rely on your Wrangler as a DD as I do.

bonedaddy

yeah she is my DD - 30k in 13 months... ;) Well out wheelin' trips to SC, GA & TN don't help... ;)

one thing that really drives me nuts is the "Pulse" or "Flicker" I have always had in my headlights and fog lights... something they can't seem to see, nor does it show up on any tests or anything. but when driving in the dark you can see it when stopped on the car in front of you and on ethe road while driving... does it the entire time the Jeep is on...

But alas... I still think it's a short somewhere in the harnesses or the Alternator - thats what our van was doing and they couldn't find it/didn't see it until the Alternator went...

We shall see... but it sure is nice to have her back!

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've gone through a similar thing with what the shop thought was a rear main seal, turns out it's the upper gasket and they didn't want to work on it and directed me to a dealer. After a lot of research I find out the upper gasket also seals portions of the rear main and timing chain cover.
I wish they would have recognized this when i took it in, would have saved me the cost of a rear main seal replacement.
odd they say they replaced the lower seal since it's sealed with a stronger version of permatex and the upper/lower is sold as a whole assemby.
hopefully it's fixed for the long haul.
btw, mine started leaking again like that right before Moab, the dealer could not schedule me in for a few weeks so I just tightened the upper and lower pans to their torque specs and has not leaked since

7kings

I had a similar problem with mine - at about 15k, I started leaking right at those inspection holes as well. Turns out it was the upper oil pan. It took 4 trips to the dealership and nearly a month before they were able to actually fix the problem. Sigh...

Hope everything is good now.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've been fortunate and my dealer has taken care of me. I had a rear axle seat replaced under warranty despite having a long arm lift and 35's. Then last year 5 months past the 36 month warranty I noticed it leaking again. I did purchase the lifetime warranty. Took it back they pulled it apart and said the axle shaft was scored and need to be replaced. They took care of it under warranty again. No questions asked. Hopefully they keep it up..;). They were going to take care of the heated mirror recall at the time to but I didn't have my doors on..haha. I still need to get that taken care of so I stop receiving the automated calls about it.

Top Bottom