Curious about resistors.

JKU-Tom

I've been curious about whether resistors wired to your blinkers are hot all the time the jeep is running or just when you're using the blinker. Obviously I know very little about electrical systems.

WJCO

Meme King
I've been curious about whether resistors wired to your blinkers are hot all the time the jeep is running or just when you're using the blinker. Obviously I know very little about electrical systems.

Any time there is current present at the resistor. So chances are the resistor is not hot until you hit your blinker switch.

JeepJeep75

The resistors are needed to "fool" the jeep. Normally, when your turn signal or brake light is turned on, the bulb draws a certain amount of current. About 20-25 watts. At 12 volts that's about 2 amps. (Volts multiplied by amps equals watts) So, when the bulb is lit, the jeep senses the current being drawn. If you replace the bulb with an LED, the LED only draws about 1 to 3 watts. The jeep notices the missing current draw and throws up a flag. That's where the resistor comes in. It's wired in with the LED to draw those extra watts of current that the LED does not draw. That's also why the resistors get so hot. They are becoming little 25watt heaters. Hope this makes some sort of sense.

JKU-Tom

Yes thanks. I understood what they were doing just didn't know if they had power all the time and therefore were hot all the time.

Top Bottom