Culpeper Farm Tour 2023

AZVAJKU

Hooked
It’s time once again for the Culpeper County Farm Tour. Farms sign up to participate and open their farms to the public. It is a great way to see where your food comes from as well as sample some of what they produce. The farms will also partner with other businesses to complement what they produce. Wine, cider, beer and spirits are offered for sale.

Our first stop is one of our favorites: Belmont Farm Distillery. Chuck Miller is the proprietor and you may have seen him in the TV series Moonshiners. He is a master distiller and as well as a really nice guy. He grows the corn that is used in his moonshine. He makes a wide variety of tasty products.

Chuck on the left, Tim Smith on the right. Both are really nice guys and are happy to chat and sign your bottle. (Not my picture)
IMG_3836.jpeg

Enjoying a flight of whiskey and Virginia Lightning.
IMG_0359.jpeg

Live band.
IMG_0360.jpeg

Everybody needs a fire truck to drive around.
IMG_0358.jpeg

It was a great day to pull the panels off!
IMG_0355.jpeg

Loading freshly harvested corn into the silo.
IMG_0356.jpeg

A couple of signed bottles to add to my supply.
IMG_0363.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
Modern farming is expensive! Here are just a few of their machines.

View attachment 395811

View attachment 395812

View attachment 395817

We picked up a few pumpkins
View attachment 395818

Some interesting information.
View attachment 395813

View attachment 395814

View attachment 395815

View attachment 395816

The cool thing about these family farms is how all the kids participate in the day to day operations. Kids grow up really fast on a farm.
More people need this knowledge.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
One of the farms we went to had an interesting display on bees.

Some of the things I learned about bees:
1- Hives can create their own queens if they don’t have one!?
2- Mites are the greatest threat to bees, and bees are adapting and actually learning how to battle the mites.
3- Bees are not indigenous to America!? Prior to bees being brought in plants were still pollinated, however pollination was accomplished by a myriad of other creatures.
4- Bees travel about three miles from the hive day to day so the taste of your honey can be affected by anything within that distance.
5- Honey can be analyzed to determine what pollen was used in making it?
6- Trucking hives across country for pollination is what causes a lot of bees to die.

Mini charcuterie for lunch.
IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

Cool table
IMG_4862.jpeg

I would love to have this in my house!!
IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

Longhorn
IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

The original bush hog and vegetation control device. If you pen some goats into an area they will eat all organic material contained within that space. All of it!! 🤣😂
IMG_5905.jpeg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

2- Mites are the greatest threat to bees, and bees are adapting and actually learning how to battle the mites.
3- Bees are not indigenous to America!? Prior to bees being brought in plants were still pollinated, however pollination was accomplished by a myriad of other creatures.
4- Bees travel about three miles from the hive day to day so the taste of your honey can be affected by anything within that distance.
6- Trucking hives across country for pollination is what causes a lot of bees to die.

View attachment 395821

View attachment 395822

Cool table
View attachment 395823

View attachment 395824

View attachment 395825

View attachment 395826

Longhorn
View attachment 395827

View attachment 395828

The original bush hog and vegetation control device. If you pen some goats into an area they will eat all organic material contained within that space. All of it!! 🤣😂
View attachment 395829
Man my grandparents had one of those cast iron wood burning stoves from their old farmhouse and then they moved it to their cottage but then sold it. Total bummer. I would have taken it.

Ddays

Hooked

View attachment 395821

View attachment 395822

Cool table
View attachment 395823

View attachment 395824

View attachment 395825

View attachment 395826

Longhorn
View attachment 395827

View attachment 395828

View attachment 395829

There are companies that rent out goats to clear areas of vegetation that can't be done with machinery, like hillsides. Some of them come with a guard donkey to watch over them & keep predators away. Donkeys are badasses

Andy5160

Hooked
It’s time once again for the Culpeper County Farm Tour. Farms sign up to participate and open their farms to the public. It is a great way to see where your food comes from as well as sample some of what they produce. The farms will also partner with other businesses to complement what they produce. Wine, cider, beer and spirits are offered for sale.

Our first stop is one of our favorites: Belmont Farm Distillery. Chuck Miller is the proprietor and you may have seen him in the TV series Moonshiners. He is a master distiller and as well as a really nice guy. He grows the corn that is used in his moonshine. He makes a wide variety of tasty products.

Chuck on the left, Tim Smith on the right. Both are really nice guys and are happy to chat and sign your bottle. (Not my picture)
View attachment 395795

Enjoying a flight of whiskey and Virginia Lightning.
View attachment 395796

Live band.
View attachment 395797

Everybody needs a fire truck to drive around.
View attachment 395798

It was a great day to pull the panels off!
View attachment 395799

Loading freshly harvested corn into the silo.
View attachment 395800

A couple of signed bottles to add to my supply.
View attachment 395801
This is awesome!!! I’ll be in somewhat that area early November!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, awesome pics and wow, what a hell of a good time your trip looked like. Thanks for post up all this good stuff up 👍🏻

Top Bottom