Cold Air Intake's

ctlazer5

Sorry for the newb questions and threads but I just want to buy the right products and I know you guys on here have the answers. I am looking to get a CAI and I was looking at the aFe stage 2 with the pro dry filter. My friend has the airaid and its nice. My big question is what do you guys prefer? Whats the big deal about going with an open element filter vs. close element? Pros and Cons all around. Thanks for the help guys

Yeah I get,to be this guy in this CIA thread...

Cia's are great provided that you have improved your headers and exhaust. Otherwise they are just something that make a cool sound when you step on the gas, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Open systems are apparently better for pure hp purposes but if you plan to be driving in dusty or moist environments closed will probably give you a little more protection... I think.

Last edited:
The idea of the open cone filters is to suck in more cool dense air in order to make more horse power. Engines are just big air pumps, the more air they can suck in and blow out the better they run and more power they make. The aftermarket intakes clean up the hoses underneath and give the air a more direct shot to the intake manifold. The filter itself is suppose to allow more airflow by its design. Everyone loves intakes and is usually the first mod but I'm not impressed with them at all. I've owned a few and in my opinion, they just don't work that great. The filters that allow more air usually also allow more dirt through if your driving in dusty conditions and after you install one you have to be careful not to get them wet since they are more exposed to the elements. If you really want to go offroad I'd just run the stock setup. This is just my OP and you can take it however you like, I just don't think they are worth what they claim they are.

I don't drive in extra dusty area's other than like just dust in the air lol :thinking: and I mean I don't do many water crossing that are deeper than my front bumper so I'm not sure water will get into it other than normal rain....will that effect it?

Think about the areas you are going to wheel in far as dust and water spray from the road/trail. Airaid makes a nice kit, just my opinion. whatever kit you chose just make sure you get a nice wrap for the filter, don't be a fool and wrap your tool.

I would go with the AFE I had the stage 2 oiled CAI in my cummins but later learned that the oil messes with the turbo so I switched it to a pro dry stage 2 . . . since I traded that truck in for my JK I was going to put an AFE stage 2 in it also but I want a snorkel so I ended up just buying the AFE that fits in the stock air box. def can see an improvement in HP. If you do go with the AFE def go with the pro dry because you can clean it as much as you want with the oiled they rec you go awhile without cleaning it as to not over oil it. If you do go with the stage 2 i agree that you should get the pre filter they are def worth the money. good luck and let me know what you end up doing hope this helped

I would go with the AFE I had the stage 2 oiled CAI in my cummins but later learned that the oil messes with the turbo so I switched it to a pro dry stage 2 . . . since I traded that truck in for my JK I was going to put an AFE stage 2 in it also but I want a snorkel so I ended up just buying the AFE that fits in the stock air box. def can see an improvement in HP. If you do go with the AFE def go with the pro dry because you can clean it as much as you want with the oiled they rec you go awhile without cleaning it as to not over oil it. If you do go with the stage 2 i agree that you should get the pre filter they are def worth the money. good luck and let me know what you end up doing hope this helped

I ordered the aFe stage 2 with the pro dry s filter. I didn't get a pre-filter as I will see how it goes first. I wonder if those restrict air suction?:thinking:

I ordered the aFe stage 2 with the pro dry s filter. I didn't get a pre-filter as I will see how it goes first. I wonder if those restrict air suction?:thinking:

NICE !! you will love it. I dont believe they do they are super thin and also cleanable and they keep the filter surprisingly clean I had no issues with the one on my cummins still made a HUGE diff in power :yup:

Same one I use. Pretty fair price compared to some of the ones on the market and it really makes the engine sound good when you step on it. As for performance improvements, well, it really makes the engine sound good when you step on it... :rock:

Top Bottom