Coil Over Rub - Thoughts?

Any thoughts on this? I have 4" bumps and running a pretty low ride height.

2015-07-03 11.44.17.jpg

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
You also installed a PR 44 up front at the same time right? Does it have the same issue on the other side?

Not that I can be of much help, but might be useful to others chiming in. Good luck, hopefully you can resolve easily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What JAGS said, are you seeing the same problem on the other side? If I could guess, most likely not. If that is true, you have more lift set on your coil overs than your track bar relocation bracket is correcting for and so your axle is off center toward the driver side of your Jeep.

What JAGS said, are you seeing the same problem on the other side? If I could guess, most likely not. If that is true, you have more lift set on your coil overs than your track bar relocation bracket is correcting for and so your axle is off center toward the driver side of your Jeep.

Makes sense on the track bar bracket, Not sure on the other side, when cycled on the pavement it all looked good I noticed this on the trail with a full cross up, Drivers side was full droop. Which makes sense on the axle shifting that way. My coil overs are set at almost the lowest setting. It is a Senrgy Track bar bracket that NR4x4 sent with my axle. It looked to be the same as my EVO bracket from my enforcer lift. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Makes sense on the track bar bracket, Not sure on the other side, when cycled on the pavement it all looked good I noticed this on the trail with a full cross up, Drivers side was full droop. Which makes sense on the axle shifting that way. My coil overs are set at almost the lowest setting. It is a Senrgy Track bar bracket that NR4x4 sent with my axle. It looked to be the same as my EVO bracket from my enforcer lift. :thinking:

All I can tell you is that with a set of Slabs, you should be rubbing and the fact that you are on the passenger side tells me that your axle is shifted to the driver side. The fix would be to lower your stance OR to install an adjustable front track bar to center your axle.

All I can tell you is that with a set of Slabs, you should be rubbing and the fact that you are on the passenger side tells me that your axle is shifted to the driver side. The fix would be to lower your stance OR to install an adjustable front track bar to center your axle.

Roger that! :thumb: To be honest we didn't do a lot of dialing in as we wanted to get the tire carrier with a little load in the rear then set everything. I will go out and do some measuring. Thanks

Edit - in the last (new) pic you can see my ride height adjustment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Roger that! :thumb: To be honest we didn't do a lot of dialing in as we wanted to get the tire carrier with a little load in the rear then set everything. I will go out and do some measuring. Thanks

Edit - in the last (new) pic you can see my ride height adjustment

Yeah, I see that but depending on what springs you're running, you may still be just a bit too high. As you know, I have run the same relative setup with Rubicat and NEVER had any rubbing issues. That being said, I would double check the position of your axle and if need be, consider installing an adjustable front track bar to make the correction you need.

Yeah, I see that but depending on what springs you're running, you may still be just a bit too high. As you know, I have run the same relative setup with Rubicat and NEVER had any rubbing issues. That being said, I would double check the position of your axle and if need be, consider installing an adjustable front track bar to make the correction you need.

Yes after a ballpark measurement It looks to be shifted to driver quite a bit - I will have to get on some level ground with a straight run and see. Thanks for the input :thumb:

Front springs = 250/250

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes after a ballpark measurement It looks to be shifted to driver quite a bit - I will have to get on some level ground with a straight run and see. Thanks for the input :thumb:

Front springs = 250/250

Give your track bar a look while you're at it. Perhaps it's bent and that would cause a significant shift as well.

Give your track bar a look while you're at it. Perhaps it's bent and that would cause a significant shift as well.

Trackbar looks good. I know when doing the axle we strived to get the bracket back where the original was. But with all the extra droop now maybe I was just getting away with it before. I will get the jeep in a good position to measure my axle position and start there.

BTW love the new setup - wheels like a dream :thumb: (well except what we are talking about :cheesy:)

I miss spoke I have 3" bump stops.

My axle appears to be centered after moving the jeep to a few locations and measuring.

Thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

My axle appears to be centered after moving the jeep to a few locations and measuring.

Thoughts?

Not sure what 3" bump stops have to do with anything but, if you're sure your axle is centered, do you have the same rubbing problem on the driver side?

SFNick

Thoughts?

This is strange, we have almost the exact same setup. PR44, Synergy raised Track bar bracket, stock track bar & mine doesn't rub. I'm sitting at a little taller ride height than you. Do all Slabs have 3.5 back spacing?

Panda

Thoughts?

Not sure if it would matter but do you have the spacers on top and bottom of the coil over set up right?

SFNick

Also, curious if you bolted the Coilover directly to the PR44 lower shock bracket or used the EVO lower brackets that was included in the kit? If so it might be pushing the Coilover out too far.

Also, curious if you bolted the Coilover directly to the PR44 lower shock bracket or used the EVO lower brackets that was included in the kit? If so it might be pushing the Coilover out too far.

He is using the pr44 lower shock bracket and not the one from Evo.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If anything, that would cause his coil over to be pushed out at the bottom of the axle. The rubbing you see of the tire making contact at the top of the coil over. Unless I see or hear otherwise, I still say that the front axle is shifted over too far to the driver side and that would be caused by too much lift - or at least, for the track bar relocation bracket being used.

If anything, that would cause his coil over to be pushed out at the bottom of the axle. The rubbing you see of the tire making contact at the top of the coil over. Unless I see or hear otherwise, I still say that the front axle is shifted over too far to the driver side and that would be caused by too much lift - or at least, for the track bar relocation bracket being used.

Ya it's a weird issue for sure. Have you ever seen or heard of this before?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya it's a weird issue for sure. Have you ever seen or heard of this before?

Weird? Not really. While I have not seen this with the EVO bolt on coil overs per se, I have seen it plenty of times with DTD's and even with standard coil/shock lifts. Sometimes it's caused by the wheels having too much back spacing but then, if that were the case, you'd see the rubbing on both sides and of course, branman is running Slabs which have 3.5" of back spacing. Until or unless I hear otherwise, this seems like a textbook issue regarding an axle being off center and more than likely due to too much lift for the track bar relocation bracket that is installed.

Top Bottom