Co2 tank rotting tires?

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
I had a guy tell me that he used a co2 tank to air up his tires and it rotted his tires from the inside out. Any one on here ever have this prob?

I wonder if he was getting moisture in to his tires somehow when he filled. I seem to remember small amounts of moisture with my CO2 bottle when I used to play paintball back in the day but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Na moisture and co2 alone still wouldn't cause this ... there has to be something in the tire in order to cause a reaction to the co2 for this to happen ... just can't think of what would react with it off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can't see it either. I used a Powertank for years to air up with. I don't think I ever put air in the tires on my Toyota at all. It has sat 10 years, and when I pulled it out of the weeds, 3 of the tires still hold, and the one that doesn't has a hole from before I parked it.

There is either a sulfate or nitrate in em as either of these mixed with water an co2 will cause a issue with not only rubber but plastic as well .... I'm more inclined to think it's a nitrate ......

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah it sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Had to be something else causing the prob. I figured if nobody on here ever had any trouble with it I should be safe.

Yeah it sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Had to be something else causing the prob. I figured if nobody on here ever had any trouble with it I should be safe.

I use it all the time. No problems. It would be interesting to see what his " rotted out " casings looked like. Any pictures?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

No pics. They said it happened a long time ago. There has been a few deals on craiglist for co2 tanks ill prob pic one up. I have most of the stuff to do a york compressor but i just dont air down that much. A york would take alot more work to get going.

Top Bottom