Choosing a brake kit…

Josalbrec

Hello Wayalife!! I am very new here and wanted to gather thoughts on a couple of brake kits.

1. The Powerstop z36 kit front/rear
2. R1 Concepts Geo-Carbon series with off-road-series/tow pads

both seem to be great kits and include front and rear components. Price difference is very small on rockauto, just need advice from anyone who has used these.
Thank you again,

Joe

WJCO

Meme King
Never heard of either. However are you having problems now? And what kind of gear are you hauling around? What sized tires are you running?

Upvote 0
The R1 kit is very much a race targeted kit. Unless you’re pushing big tires, going really fast and running heavy axles they are an waste of money. As far as the powerstop kit if it’s just pads and rotors you wont gain much either. You didn’t specify if you’re working on a JL or JK but, if you have a JL, there aren’t many options that will be worth the money if you aren’t playing super hard or going super fast and even then, the standard JL brakes aren’t bad.

Either system will require a very complicated and tedious bleed procedure (assuming you’re replacing the booster and mc) and that will a scan tool to properly bleed the system.

If you have a JK, the Dynatrac pro- grip kit is awesome and for the money it gives you a real increase in braking performance without messing with the hydraulic System.

Upvote 0

Josalbrec

Never heard of either. However are you having problems now? And what kind of gear are you hauling around? What sized tires are you running?
At 60k the brakes are getting worn. I am running 33” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT’s. These are pretty heavy tires at 10 ply and I have noticed the jeep stays in 7th gear most of the time on the highway. I drive the jeep daily in traffic and the factory pads are worn down. I have a little less than 1/8th an inch left and it’s time to change. Because I drive the jeep daily and off road occasionally on the weekends, I want a set that supports off road and towing.

thank you for asking!!

Joe

Upvote 0

Josalbrec

The R1 kit is very much a race targeted kit. Unless you’re pushing big tires, going really fast and running heavy axles they are an waste of money. As far as the powerstop kit if it’s just pads and rotors you wont gain much either. You didn’t specify if you’re working on a JL or JK but, if you have a JL, there aren’t many options that will be worth the money if you aren’t playing super hard or going super fast and even then, the standard JL brakes aren’t bad.

Either system will require a very complicated and tedious bleed procedure (assuming you’re replacing the booster and mc) and that will a scan tool to properly bleed the system.

If you have a JK, the Dynatrac pro- grip kit is awesome and for the money it gives you a real increase in braking performance without messing with the hydraulic System.
I am driving a 18’ jlu rubicon with 33’s

Upvote 0

jeeeep

Hooked
I am running 33’s and will keep the factory calipers. Just replacing the pads, rotors and hardware/boots, pins, shims etc.
you won't gain anything, the brakes on the JLU are pretty good IMO - I run 37's, tow occasionally and never felt the need for upgrading the brakes like I did on my JKU with similar setup.
I'm a fan of Wagner OeX brake pads, little dust and excellent stopping.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
I did the power stop Z36 kit recently at a little over 50K miles on 37’s, they feel similar to the stock brakes. I ordered them from Summit, not a bad kit but we will see if they hold up like the stock ones.

I had to use a puller to get the rear rotors off, but don’t do what I did. Be sure to thread a few lug nuts on before torquing on the puller, the first side I did shot the rotor and puller 3 feet from the jeep when it went. Really glad I didn’t have the Jeep on a lift or I would’ve needed a new set of teeth.

Upvote 0
I did the power stop Z36 kit recently at a little over 50K miles on 37’s, they feel similar to the stock brakes. I ordered them from Summit, not a bad kit but we will see if they hold up like the stock ones.

I had to use a puller to get the rear rotors off, but don’t do what I did. Be sure to thread a few lug nuts on before torquing on the puller, the first side I did shot the rotor and puller 3 feet from the jeep when it went. Really glad I didn’t have the Jeep on a lift or I would’ve needed a new set of teeth.

Glad you didn’t get blasted.

I used to work at this pressure vessel shop and when we fit the heads to the shells, we stitch welded a half-C clamp to the shell and put pressure on the head to fit them up flush.

We only stitched one side of the clamp so that is was easy to rock back and forth and break free to move onto the next spot.

I saw one fly across the shop before. Also knew a guy who broke his nose with one. I
always kept one hand on it when tightening it down!

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Glad you didn’t get blasted.

I used to work at this pressure vessel shop and when we fit the heads to the shells, we stitch welded a half-C clamp to the shell and put pressure on the head to fit them up flush.

We only stitched one side of the clamp so that is was easy to rock back and forth and break free to move onto the next spot.

I saw one fly across the shop before. Also knew a guy who broke his nose with one. I
always kept one hand on it when tightening it down!
lol… I worked in tire shops, I know better but am out of practice I guess.
Seen a kid spin the big tapered nut off an old coats tire machine while beading up a tire one day. He was too busy talking shit to pay attention to the pressure it took to seat that one. When the back bead finally popped the tire jumped off the machine and sent him on a backflip over the machine behind him… he was sore the next day but unharmed luckily

Upvote 0
At 60k the brakes are getting worn. I am running 33” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT’s. These are pretty heavy tires at 10 ply and I have noticed the jeep stays in 7th gear most of the time on the highway. I drive the jeep daily in traffic and the factory pads are worn down. I have a little less than 1/8th an inch left and it’s time to change. Because I drive the jeep daily and off road occasionally on the weekends, I want a set that supports off road and towing.

thank you for asking!!

Joe
10 ply tires seems like quite a lot. Perhaps the solution is to rebuild the brakes with factory parts, and replace the heavy tires with lighter ones which are more suitable for a jeep.

When driving in traffic, drive like you have a jeep and maintain a bit more distance so you are not continually riding the brakes so hard. You are not a sheep, so there is no reason to behave like the sheeple do in traffic.

Upvote 0

Josalbrec

10 ply tires seems like quite a lot. Perhaps the solution is to rebuild the brakes with factory parts, and replace the heavy tires with lighter ones which are more suitable for a jeep.

When driving in traffic, drive like you have a jeep and maintain a bit more distance so you are not continually riding the brakes so hard. You are not a sheep, so there is no reason to behave like the sheeple do in traffic.
Still need to replace pads and rotors and the 2 kits I called out are less expensive than Mopar replacements. Mopar pads are Akebono rebrands and the mortar rotors are made over seas. I was hoping to get a small improvement in braking while saving a little $$. Both of these are highly rated and I am hoping a fellow member here has some experience with them.

Upvote 0
lol… I worked in tire shops, I know better but am out of practice I guess.
Seen a kid spin the big tapered nut off an old coats tire machine while beading up a tire one day. He was too busy talking shit to pay attention to the pressure it took to seat that one. When the back bead finally popped the tire jumped off the machine and sent him on a backflip over the machine behind him… he was sore the next day but unharmed luckily

Damn, I always wondered if one of those ever let go…they seem pretty mean, watching them spin…

Upvote 0

Josalbrec

After a lot of research I ordered Hawk LTS pads and Brembo OE rotors. This combo seems like a great replacement for Mopar and saves about $200 off the cost of Mopar oem. Hopefully I will have some details after the parts deliver

Upvote 0
Top Bottom