Cb license

PatyWagon

LOL this will date me, just wondering if anyone else still have their CB Licenses that were required in the 70s? I actually had 2 and still have them, call signs KBB09066 & KBBI5352, both awarded from FCC 1977 exp 1982.. Haven't been on the CB in decades but with new JK, I'm looking at getting one for emergency communications and the occasional trail run.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Me personally, I recommend getting an amateur radio license. The first two levels of license are 35 questions and all the answers are in the study material. If you take both test at the same time it's only$15.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I remember...and I also remember when the FCC also required a license for VHF radios. When they removed the license requirement for cb's, boaters began installing them on their boats. VHF's with 5 watts or less eventually became license free as well

Me personally, I recommend getting an amateur radio license. The first two levels of license are 35 questions and all the answers are in the study material. If you take both test at the same time it's only$15.

I think it's good to have both...while ham radios have much further range, far more rigs carry cb for rig to rig communication

To add to this, you do not even need to pass a morse code test anymore.

You only need to have a license if you have a CB that has the ability to be used as a ham radio but a CB shop can clip one wire and you are good to go

Sent from my 9024W using WAYALIFE mobile app

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] Yep it's "old news" I'm sure. Course when you've lived thru 60s to now fogey becomes a complement lol.

:)
I was born in them at least. I just couldn't help but say it as soon as I saw the title about CB license

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think it's good to have both...while ham radios have much further range, far more rigs carry cb for rig to rig communication

This.

I'm replacing my CB with a Cobra 75 to make more room and because so many folks around here have CBs but I'm thinking I'm going to add a portable ham eventually as well.

I never had a CB license but I remember my mother and my step dad both had licenses. My step dad used to broadcast his whenever he "signed off." I'm guessing most folks thought he was weird. He was a cop though so maybe the following of rules was strongly ingrained.

This.

I'm replacing my CB with a Cobra 75 to make more room and because so many folks around here have CBs but I'm thinking I'm going to add a portable ham eventually as well.

I never had a CB license but I remember my mother and my step dad both had licenses. My step dad used to broadcast his whenever he "signed off." I'm guessing most folks thought he was weird. He was a cop though so maybe the following of rules was strongly ingrained.
I never used to sign off with my cb license number but always used my handle at the time.

Next time we get together I want to take a look at your radio gear. It seems like you've got a great setup. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I'd be happy to show you.
The radio I have has been discontinued but Icom makes great Ham radios and if you want the one I have I'm sure you could find it online somewhere.
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7000/default.aspx

I actually have both in one radio. It does UHF, VHF, HF and pretty much any frequencies I want to program in. It's very handy in a group.

Apologize in advance for the novice questions but, having one radio sounds really good: does your radio speak to CBs? require special license? different than ham? Use special antenna? Many thanks!

Top Bottom