CASTING SAND IN THE COOLANT (heater core partially plugged)

Holeshot

Banned
hey guys!! I did my oil change last night and had a little surprise while doing my inspection, I made a little video to show you. Sorry if my english is not perfect :D but it should get the job done.

2013-02-05 18.40.31.jpg 2013-02-05 18.55.38.jpg

As you can see, there is something in the bottom of my overflow tink, guess what it is? I poured my coolant in a clean bottle of windshield washer and look on the vid for the answer :icon_crazy:

EDIT : will post the video later tonight... Don't have access to photobucket account at work :doh:

jkmadness

hey guys!! I did my oil change last night and had a little surprise while doing my inspection, I made a little video to show you. Sorry if my english is not perfect :D but it should get the job done.

View attachment 15057 View attachment 15058

As you can see, there is something in the bottom of my overflow tink, guess what it is? I poured my coolant in a clean bottle of windshield washer and look on the vid for the answer :icon_crazy:

EDIT : will post the video later tonight... Don't have access to photobucket account at work :doh:

Can't wait to see it...

Holeshot

Banned
Miles? don't know xD

I got 16 600 kms, it makes about 10 500 miles.

note that I got my heater core replaced just before xmas. They only drained what they need to replace it, and found nothing unusual in the coolant, so they let it as is. They can't do more than what's written in the TSB until they find something.

Last edited:

Jchet729

After reading this thread I decided to check mine out, sure enough... looks like sediment in the bottom of tank... '12/10,494mi. Thankfully no heating issues yet but I'm gonna try an be preventive here... see what my buddy who's a Chrysler service writer says...

ForumRunner_20130206_235859.jpg

Holeshot

Banned
I removed the sand from the tink, and put it in the clean container shown in the video, and the next day I brought it to the dealer who made the replacement of my heater core to show them. The advisor, which I know since a couple years, told me he added right away a chemical flush to my next monday appointment, without hesitation. He should have, otherwise he would have heard me :evil snicker:

He also asked me if he could keep it, to show their tech's.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue on my 2012 when it had about 52000 miles. They replaced the heater core, radiator and oil cooler all under warranty. Everything worked great after put back together, but I did find several left over screws and small pieces of black broken housing, hmmmmm.

Sold it and bought a 14 JK :)

1408634895562.jpg 1408634927626.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

I had the same issue on my 2012 when it had about 52000 miles. They replaced the heater core, radiator and oil cooler all under warranty. Everything worked great after put back together, but I did find several left over screws and small pieces of black broken housing, hmmmmm.

Sold it and bought a 14 JK :)

View attachment 96456 View attachment 96457

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wow could u not just flush the lines???

if some one has this what do they need to do to fix the problem???

thadeus618

Thanks to this thread I just checked my 2013 and it has 3" of sludge in the coolant tank. I called my dealer and the service manager told me it was stop leak added when it was built and he was going to replace the radiator, heater core, and oil cooler. I am not sure if what he says is correct about the cause but I am happy it's getting fixed while still under warranty.

Top Bottom