Can you hook up too much stuff to 1 battery?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I currently have 55w fogs connected to my factory switch and 55w hella 1000s connected to my highbeam switch. I also have 2 sets of hella 500s on my rack wired to switches

I have an air compressor that I may want to hardwire and a winch due for delivery next week.

My question is; as long as I don't run multiple things at once, is there any concerns with having that much wired to one battery?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Need to make sure that, all of your equipment your run doesn't draw more amp then you alternator can put out between normal vehicle components and add assories. If so you Will draw more and battery will die. It will not be able to charge battery fast enough. You may need a high out put alternator. Hope this makes some sense. But more them likely if you don't run multiple assories you should be good.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rebel JK

What overlander is referring to is that the alternator has an amperage rating. If you are drawing more amps than it is putting out then you will have issues. The battery primary job is to turn the starter and keep electronics going while the engine/ alt are not running. Once engine is started the alternator runs everything basically and recharges the battery.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yup what they said is what I was implying. Might new a high output alt. although I have never looked at the ratings for the stocker.

You could also look into a dual battery setup.

Holeshot

Banned
Can't tell if the older jk's have the same alt. but i know that '12 + have 160 Amps rated alternators. So theoricaly it is more than needed.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using WAYALIFE mobile app

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
So, in the end, is the alternator the only concern?

Which wouldn't be an issue since I don't plan on running multiple items at once?

Top Bottom