Camshaft Position Sensor Oil Failure

JeepFan

Hooked
I think @JeepFan had his camshaft position sensor leaking. Maybe he will comment.
I had the same problem with oil leaking from the drivers side rear cam sensor seal. Oil dripped on the downstream O2 sensor wires and caused an O2 sensor code. Replacing the O2 sensor and cam sensor seal fixed it. Fortunately, I did not have to replace the rear cam sensor as others have discovered oil can leak through the connector.

What I noticed is the cam sensor seal was hard as a rock. My guess is the engine cover traps a ton of heat on the top end of the motor causing such things as oil cooler failures and seals to dry out prematurely.

Wonder if this is why Jeep ditched the engine cover?

Jeep engineers; gotta love'em!! :LOL:

zrozulu

I had the same problem with oil leaking from the drivers side rear cam sensor seal. Oil dripped on the downstream O2 sensor wires and caused an O2 sensor code. Replacing the O2 sensor and cam sensor seal fixed it. Fortunately, I did not have to replace the rear cam sensor as others have discovered oil can leak through the connector.

What I noticed is the cam sensor seal was hard as a rock. My guess is the engine cover traps a ton of heat on the top end of the motor causing such things as oil cooler failures and seals to dry out prematurely.

Wonder if this is why Jeep ditched the engine cover?

Jeep engineers; gotta love'em!! :LOL:
Mind walking me through the process? Do you just remove the sensor then pop out the old seal and in with a new one? Thank you so much.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey guys, sorry to bump a few months old thread, but I think my Jeep is experiencing this. It's a 2015 with 60k. Could this leak enough to drip oil down to my O2 sensor? Something is dripping on my driver's side and hitting my sensor and causing a code. This is the highest item in the engine that appears to be wet. I have also heard it can be the oil filter housing (still have the original plastic one), but the passenger side of the engine seems dry.

Here's a view up from the O2 sensor:
View attachment 398383

And I believe this is the camshaft sensor? Definitely wet around it, but hard to get the camera in there.
View attachment 398384
any codes? camshaft sensor is on top of the passenger side valve cover at the firewall below the transmission dipstick, you should be able to see it easily.

If the oil cooler has failed, it will leak and how the oil travels to drip on everything would not be a direct path.

If your Jeep has the "Jeep V6" cover on it, remove it and shine a flashlight (not your phone) down along the side of the oil fill spout, if it's leaking you'll see the sheen of the oil slick; you can also take a long zip tie and use it like a dip stick by sliding it down along the oil fill (Ace Hardware carries white 3 foot zip ties perfect for this). If it's covered in oil, you found your leak.

Check your oil regularly, you don't want it to run dry or too low for too long.

JeepFan

Hooked
Mind walking me through the process? Do you just remove the sensor then pop out the old seal and in with a new one? Thank you so much.
Loosen the Torx-30 screw at the top of the sensor. Then gently wiggle the sensor while pulling it straight out. Using a pic or small screwdriver, pull upward on the seal to remove it from the valve cover. It may be stuck in there pretty good; just take your time and work it out. Clean the area with a rag as well as the sensor. Press in the new seal firmly by hand making sure it seats evenly. Next, carefully re-install the sensor again making sure it seats properly. Next, thread in the screw by hand! Tighten the screw until it's snug. Note: The screw has a stop and will only tighten so far. Don't over tighten it. You will kind of feel it stop as you tighten it. No need to tighten it beyond that point. Reconnect the wire and you should be good to go.

zrozulu

Loosen the Torx-30 screw at the top of the sensor. Then gently wiggle the sensor while pulling it straight out. Using a pic or small screwdriver, pull upward on the seal to remove it from the valve cover. It may be stuck in there pretty good; just take your time and work it out. Clean the area with a rag as well as the sensor. Press in the new seal firmly by hand making sure it seats evenly. Next, carefully re-install the sensor again making sure it seats properly. Next, thread in the screw by hand! Tighten the screw until it's snug. Note: The screw has a stop and will only tighten so far. Don't over tighten it. You will kind of feel it stop as you tighten it. No need to tighten it beyond that point. Reconnect the wire and you should be good to go.
Seems easy enough, thank you!

zrozulu

any codes? camshaft sensor is on top of the passenger side valve cover at the firewall below the transmission dipstick, you should be able to see it easily.

If the oil cooler has failed, it will leak and how the oil travels to drip on everything would not be a direct path.

If your Jeep has the "Jeep V6" cover on it, remove it and shine a flashlight (not your phone) down along the side of the oil fill spout, if it's leaking you'll see the sheen of the oil slick; you can also take a long zip tie and use it like a dip stick by sliding it down along the oil fill (Ace Hardware carries white 3 foot zip ties perfect for this). If it's covered in oil, you found your leak.

Check your oil regularly, you don't want it to run dry or too low for too long.

The code is P0157 which is Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2. Looked at that sensor and it had oil dripping on it from somewhere above. My understanding is each side of the engine has a camshaft sensor. When I traced the leak it appears to be coming from the driver's side one. I will check under the cover and see if I can see any oil pooling under the filter housing. Thanks.

jeeeep

Hooked
The code is P0157 which is Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2. Looked at that sensor and it had oil dripping on it from somewhere above. My understanding is each side of the engine has a camshaft sensor. When I traced the leak it appears to be coming from the driver's side one. I will check under the cover and see if I can see any oil pooling under the filter housing. Thanks.
my bad, camshaft sensor yes, one on each side. I was referring to crankshaft sensor.

JeepFan

Hooked
my bad, camshaft sensor yes, one on each side. I was referring to crankshaft sensor.
Ah! The crank sensor is on the right side (passengers side) of the engine just above the upper oil pan and closer to the transmission. Super easy to replace. Remove the connector, remove the 10mm bolt, pull out the sensor. Reverse these steps and you're done. There is a learn process for the sensor but if you disconnect the battery for about an hour it should reset.

zrozulu

Thanks all for the help. Completed the job today with a new seal and a new O2 sensor.

Couple of pieces of advice if anyone is going to change that.

1) get a really long extension
2) unplug the sensor to get it properly aligned, the pull from the wire will throw you off of trying to set the bolt on the sensor
3) fit the new seal to the sensor, not to the block, the bolt tension will make the seal
4) pull the bolt up when trying to set it so you can lightly push it in and feel it set in the threads -- the bolt is tapered so you can get it to set before starting to screw it in

Cleared my code and it didn't come back. That being said, I do think I have a cracked filter housing as well, so I might need to do that after all.

HoustonJeep

Thanks all for the help. Completed the job today with a new seal and a new O2 sensor.

Couple of pieces of advice if anyone is going to change that.

1) get a really long extension
2) unplug the sensor to get it properly aligned, the pull from the wire will throw you off of trying to set the bolt on the sensor
3) fit the new seal to the sensor, not to the block, the bolt tension will make the seal
4) pull the bolt up when trying to set it so you can lightly push it in and feel it set in the threads -- the bolt is tapered so you can get it to set before starting to screw it in

Cleared my code and it didn't come back. That being said, I do think I have a cracked filter housing as well, so I might need to do that after all.
Hey Zrozulu,

Did this fix the issue? I recently got a P0157 code and noticed the wiring and O2 sensor was a little wet. Looks like there may be a small oil leak right above it. Your post is the only I found that aligns well with what I’m dealing with lol.

I replaced the oil cooler (plastic housing) in 2022 but after much research, I’ve realized it can happen again and an aluminum cooler might be the best route.

Any info is appreciated!!!

photos for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 6

zrozulu

Hey Zrozulu,

Did this fix the issue? I recently got a P0157 code and noticed the wiring and O2 sensor was a little wet. Looks like there may be a small oil leak right above it. Your post is the only I found that aligns well with what I’m dealing with lol.

I replaced the oil cooler (plastic housing) in 2022 but after much research, I’ve realized it can happen again and an aluminum cooler might be the best route.

Any info is appreciated!!!

photos for reference.

Yes, my CEL has not come back. I think for the cost of parts and ease of the job, it is definitely worth a try.

Top Bottom