Building the Escape Pod!

Kyle09Rubi

I've covered my history with jeeps and how I got to my current JKUR here in my wave thread --> Checking in from NC

For starters, I picked up this 2009 Unlimited Rubicon in January of 2015. She was completely stock, had the automatic which the lady friend required and appeared to be largely unaltered. The name Escape Pod came in jest during a conversation with a friend one afternoon at work. I was asked where I was off to in my Escape Pod this weekend and it just stuck from there. I'm not terribly good at documenting large parts of my work with pictures as I normally work alone and pictures always take a backseat to the actual work. I'll try to catch everyone up with my current progress as best as I can and work on better documentation going forward.

So here we are at the dealer. The Escape Pod was part of a dual option group but was missing the soft top. Fortunately for me, the more financially beneficial part was still bolted to the jeep and was sold before the dealer tags came off.

Our first trip together was that following weekend to Banner Elk, NC. Got to really try out the 4wd for the first time and took some pretty cool pictures up around Grandfather Mountain.

Gotta love the mountains

So we first get into a build here:
- 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System
- 315/75 Kuhmo MT
- 16 x 8 ProComp 7031
- Bestop Trektop NX

This next picture shows our current setup:
- Dynomax 39516
- EVO rear fascia and d-rings
- MOD front bumper
- 17" and 50" LED bars
- Superchips 3872
- Smitty flares

The most current to-do list includes:
- Installing sPod
- Installing SOLID diff covers
- Front fender liners (destroyed them during a piss poor attempt at a trim)
- Wire lockers to sPod (not a huge fan of the factory switch)
- Cut rubi rails
- Relocate e-vap
- Fluid change
- Install led rock lights
- Adjust bump stops
- Diff breather extensions

And the most current to-buy list includes:
- Parts for a drag link flip
- Recovery gear (winch, d-rings, straps)
- EVO gussets
- EVO rear trackbar bracket
- CB and antenna
- EVO oil pan skid
- Front driveshaft
- EVO sliders

Last edited:

Kyle09Rubi

Looking good! Love the front bumper.

Thanks. I really like stubby bumpers with a low hoop. Ran a PSC brawler on my old jeep but just didn't want to cut off the frame horns this time.

As for all of the comments, I appreciate it :thumb: Not near as built as some of the other guys on here but we will get there one day.

Kyle09Rubi

Hopped in the Escape Pod on Thursday after work and took off to the mountains for a weekend with the girlfriend. The views in Ferguson, NC are just awesome and hiked plenty of good trails in the backyard. I also came to the realization that 4.10s are no longer cutting it so we will be scheduling for some 5.13s soon.

Hot tub with a view

The house

Obligatory jeep pose

One of the trails alongside the old creek bed

And the last picture is of our setup for the night. Had to get a little creative with the hammock and fire pit.

Kyle09Rubi

In the Escape Pod again for another weekend adventure. This time we are headed to the mountains of eastern TN. I've got a second interview at a manufacturing plant so we are scouting out some new stomping grounds.

Not a bad drive in!

Or a bad view! Pilot Mountain is way off in the background.

The big guitar in downtown Bristol

The NASCAR track in Bristol

Kyle09Rubi

After spending the night outside Bristol, TN, we jumped in the Escape Pod this morning and headed down to South Holston Lake. I'm lucky to have been able to spend such a beautiful day out on the lake. Pictures do not do it justice. I highly recommend checking it out for yourself if you are ever in the area.

On the up side, I ordered some jeep stuff tonight. Hopefully we will have done jeep related updates soon

Top Bottom