Build thread

Chris1015

Hey guys,

Been wanting to start a build thread, here it is. Working on a 2017 granite crystal metallic Sahara JK. Definitely on a budget and have been working like crazy to keep to it.

Finally got some armor sent in a few weeks ago and been trying to tackle pieces here and there. Got them powder coated black. Also got UPS brought me my Warn 10-S winch and Rigid Industries dually mount square LED lights.

I've never worked on a car/Jeep before. Plan is to do the armor myself and let Trail Jeeps in Golden do the regearing/welding.

I'd like to mention a lot of you gave me the spark to take on wrenching myself from former topics I've made and reading others here, so thanks for the inspiration and the frustration that comes along with wrenching. [emoji16]

Here's what has gone right so far:
JCR Mauler stubby front bumper
20170403_195622.jpg 20170403_195646.jpg

At Bat:
JCR Classic Rock Sliders (in progress)
Currently in the garage stumped as to why the body seam does not meet flush with the rock bar. HELP/SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated with this!😠
20170403_195715.jpg
20170403_200522.jpg (if you look close the powdered black does not meet flush up against the seam. I am currently stumped)

On deck:
JCR front skid plate
JCR rear mid width bumper
20170403_200710.jpg

In the hole:
Warn 10-S winch
Rigid Industries dually square LED lights (they fit at the bumper)
20170403_200742.jpg

If anyone can help with the sliders that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll keep posting as I progress. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Chris1015

Good work so far. I'm not seeing what you're talking about with the sliders.
If you look here, you can see where my finger is the gap between the seam and slider. That's by the drive door. 20170403_204817.jpg

Here in the middle, it's even worse. The holes for the screws seemingly don't line up correctly. 20170403_205227.jpg

The rear seem to be Decent and fitting...

WJCO

Meme King
I see now. Likely it's just off a little. As long as the body mount bolts are already installed, are the body seam bolts long enough where you can get the nut started? And did it come with new nuts or are the nuts OEM ones that are welded onto the body?

If it came with new nuts, I would use a hammer and just hit the body seam closer to the new rock rails. That's what I would do. It will likely bend a little when you tighten them anyways. If the nuts are part of the jeep, I would get bolts at the hardware store about half inch longer.

Chris1015

I see now. Likely it's just off a little. As long as the body mount bolts are already installed, are the body seam bolts long enough where you can get the nut started? And did it come with new nuts or are the nuts OEM ones that are welded onto the body?

If it came with new nuts, I would use a hammer and just hit the body seam closer to the new rock rails. That's what I would do. It will likely bend a little when you tighten them anyways. If the nuts are part of the jeep, I would get bolts at the hardware store about half inch longer.
20170403_211731.jpg
To give you a better idea, that's the gap.

What I've done so far is tightened all 3 body mounts to try and reel it in. 4 of the 6 button bolts (round Allen wrench fit) are tightened, then the 2 remaining in the middle are in the picture above slotted through but entered in incorrectly temporarily.

WJCO

Meme King
I would keep trying to do what you're doing. Once tightened down, even if there's a gap, it shouldn't move.

GraniteCrystal

Could always add some washers in there as well to transmit force and reduce deflection of the bolt. I would also call JCR tomorrow, email them those pics, and ask their advice.

Looking good overall. Good for for keeping to the budget. Love your color choice.

Chris1015

I would keep trying to do what you're doing. Once tightened down, even if there's a gap, it shouldn't move.
I tried a really small hammer lol. I had no room to really wind up and get any good hacks. Was thinking about a rubber mallet underneath the slider.

Chris1015

Could always add some washers in there as well to transmit force and reduce deflection of the bolt. I would also call JCR tomorrow, email them those pics, and ask their advice.

Looking good overall. Good for for keeping to the budget. Love your color choice.
Thanks a bunch!

The washer, do you mean by me tightening it to avoid snapping it?

tgoss

I would try loosing the lower body mount bolts while keeping them threaded to allow a little movement and then trying to get the topside allen heads to thread first. once all threaded, get the tops done and tight then do the body mounted bolts.

Chris1015

Hey, guys so thanks again for all the advice on the sliders. I emailed JCR and they got back to me with some advice as well. Got both of them on now. Here it is.
20170404_171329.jpg 20170404_171343.jpg
I am gonna have to stop at hardware store, garage/underpants gnome stole a nut some how. So missing one on passenger side. Maddening.

20170404_171600.jpg

Nice looking build you have started. Glad to see you got the sliders bolted up , minus the missing bolt.

Looks like the dog got a new house until fall.

Agree with WJCO always awesome first time the top comes off ;)

Top Bottom