Build plans input

Sgt_USMC

I was hoping to get any input y’all had on my plans for my rubi. I’m planning on doing a small 2-2.5” lift for the next few years while I upgrade the rest of the suspension. At this height I will do bumpers, winch, flat front fenders, rockers, 33s, a 1” MML, and a 1.25” BL. I’ll also be making some storage compartments over the wheel wells in the back to store an air hose, and misc tools/gear. All the lights will be swapped to LED, a Midland gmrs, skids (poss aluminum), LCA skids. Some additional lighting will be added outside and inside. I’ll also be swapping the 16 y/o brake soft lines, calipers, rotors, and pads for new.

For the initial lift I was going to use RC coils with rancho shocks and JKS discos.

The final height will be 4” suspension lift using rock jock coils, Rancho 5000x shocks, JKS adj TB front and rear, and a rear CV shaft. I’m not sure who I will use for the CAs, but they will be adjustable.

I’m on a fixed budget and have to really take my time with installing so as not to over tax myself physically, but will gladly take any guidance or input on my plans!

EDIT: It’s a 2006 Rubicon, 4.0, auto.

Last edited:

TonyT

Caught the Bug
My Jeep addiction started with an 06 Rubicon. Wheel that sucker as it sits and enjoy it while you get it mechanically fit. 2-3 inches of lift isn't going to get you much of anything in terms of capability. 4 or 5 years from now your plans will change, they always do.

I don't know where you're at, but unless you're around, or into, serious rocks I would skip the skid plates until youre in the final stage of your lift.

Just my thoughts, have fun!

Sgt_USMC

I’m in San Diego right now, but will be moving to Az in a few years. I just figured if I modded with a moderate lift, like 2-2.5”, that once I have everything done it wouldn’t effect the height enough to worry about. I had planned a different build all together, but it changed once we decided on moving to Az.

Sgt_USMC

I may go up to 35s, but an unsure. I definitely want to get into the rocks. I just figured 2-2.5” would give me a little more room when wheeling. I could go straight to the final height of 4”, but it would take me a while to gather all the parts needed to do it right.

What would you suggest for height? If I just stay stock height wouldn’t I be limited as to trails or more likely to break something?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I think a 3" lift with 35's is a very fun and capable rig for moderate to difficult trails. It's takin me to some awesome places... Leaning towards the more difficult trails just means upgrading steering and high stress parts as your budget allows. I wheeled it for 2 years stock and had a blast.

Sgt_USMC

3” will clear 35s on a TJ? I wasn’t sure if I needed 3 or 4”. The first thing I’m going to upgrade is the steering with the ZJ swap. I also have a lot to learn about wheeling a Jeep before I can do any difficult trails.

TrailHunter

Hooked
3” will clear 35s on a TJ? I wasn’t sure if I needed 3 or 4”. The first thing I’m going to upgrade is the steering with the ZJ swap. I also have a lot to learn about wheeling a Jeep before I can do any difficult trails.
I'm sorry man, I thought you had a JK... but I think what I said sort of applies... my buddy has a TJ on 35's and he has a blast ... it's a very capable and awesome Rig...One of my favorites.... I'm not sure what lift you need to run 35's... but I think he is more in the 4-6" range with long arms.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Sorry, I should have put that in the first post. My fault. I figure 4” lift and a 1.25” BL should be ok for 35s.
Got the info from my buddy.. he runs a Currie 4” standard arm kit with 35’s… but he’s about to step up to a long arm setup with 37’s..

Just from what I’ve seen wheeling with him… the 4” and 35’s is VERY Capable on that TJ.. and it looks bitchen.

Sgt_USMC

Nice, thanks! My final height will be 4” rock jock coils, rancho shocks plus the BL and MML. I’m still in the air on who to use for the CAs. I’m thinking JKS for the track bar, and maybe a relocation bracket for the rear.

Sgt_USMC

I really like that they are made in Utah and their warranty sounds pretty straightforward! I do believe I have found my CAs! I thin for my budget and needs I will stick with either tier 2 or, at most, tier 3.

Thanks @Andy5160 for the recommendation!

Andy5160

Hooked
Glad I could make the recommendation. Been researching for a while before settling on them for my build. It is indeed nice that they have a few different tiers so you can pick for both your needs and the budget. Warranty and customer service is great as well.

bmkrinne

I really like that they are made in Utah and their warranty sounds pretty straightforward! I do believe I have found my CAs! I thin for my budget and needs I will stick with either tier 2 or, at most, tier 3.

Thanks @Andy5160 for the recommendation!
I can vouch for Core4x4’s warranty and customer service! It’s Top notch!

Sgt_USMC

@bmkrinne That’s really great to hear! I was wondering how they would be about the CAs being broken on a rock or whatnot. I’m glad to hear they have good customer service! It seems like that is falling by the wayside for some companies nowadays.

bmkrinne

@bmkrinne That’s really great to hear! I was wondering how they would be about the CAs being broken on a rock or whatnot. I’m glad to hear they have good customer service! It seems like that is falling by the wayside for some companies nowadays.
I bent a front lower arm on cliffhanger and was the first person to bend the one and claim the warranty. They sent me a new control arm and a care package including a shirt, hat, stickers and signed letter from Spence. Do a search for Core4X4 and my handle and you see the details. Doesn’t get much better!!

Sgt_USMC

After doing more looking, I won’t be going with the mix of RC and Rancho for the 2.5” lift. I’m going to stay with a 2” and will be using BDS coils and shocks. They are better, from what I have been told, and cheaper than the RC+Rancho setup I was looking at doing.

Sgt_USMC

Well, my plans have been forcibly changed. I have to drive out to Fl in a few months. So now the priority is maintenance stuff that I have been putting off. A/c evacuation and recharge, plugs, opda, steering upgrade, coolant flush and refill, diff oil, tcase fluid, trans fluid/filter, trans cooler install, eng oil, and fog light replacement. A/c is getting done this weekend, steering will be ordered this weekend. Im doing the ZJ upgrade. While I’m in Fl I will have access to a huge garage and will have my tools as well as dad’s. Hopefully I can get some mods done while I’m out there.

Sgt_USMC

And now I’m leaving earlier, so the trans cooler install and fog light replacement are off the list. I have to have the rest done by the first week of June now.

Top Bottom