Brand of ball joints

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, Synergy or Crown HD for me. Both are metal on metal designs and I have found them to get the job done well.

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Not trying to hijack this, but I was told by a local shop that the knuckles on my axle are bent so they had to install adjustable offset teraflex ball joints and they charged me a ton to do it.

I will not be going back to this shop for other reasons, but did I get had? The alignment check done locally looked to me like it was in need of a lot of adjustment, but I only got a quick look.

This instance is one of only 2 times I have ever had other people work on my shit since I didn't have the tools, and both times are why it will never happen again. Hard to find a good shop in Ohio...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not trying to hijack this, but I was told by a local shop that the knuckles on my axle are bent so they had to install adjustable offset teraflex ball joints and they charged me a ton to do it.

I will not be going back to this shop for other reasons, but did I get had? The alignment check done locally looked to me like it was in need of a lot of adjustment, but I only got a quick look.

This instance is one of only 2 times I have ever had other people work on my shit since I didn't have the tools, and both times are why it will never happen again. Hard to find a good shop in Ohio...
Yes you got had. You can’t bend a cast knuckle. If it was bent it would be cracked and the knuckle would be replaced. They must sell teraflex and totally hosed you. Sucks but next time post on here and ask questions before saying yes. Someone will answer pretty quick.

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Yes you got had. You can’t bend a cast knuckle. If it was bent it would be cracked and the knuckle would be replaced. They must sell teraflex and totally hosed you. Sucks but next time post on here and ask questions before saying yes. Someone will answer pretty quick.
Awesome. I had the worry that was the case. They also torqued my wheels to 12364352349386495839874243 foot lbs and I had to replace all the lugnuts after breaking 2 sockets, a breaker bar, and the internals on one of my impacts.

I will surely be here for a long time. I will not be ashamed again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It's possible the shop was referring to the axle end forgings (also known as axle c's) which the knuckles are bolted on to. They can bend and this is why people have gussets welded on to them. While exotic or adjustable ball joints can help correct camber, it doesn't exactly fix the problem, especially if the axle tube is bent (very likely).

Top Bottom