Brake problem

Sgt_USMC

I need a sanity check, I know it’s debatable if I am sane, to see if I’m thinking down the right path.

The brakes on the p/s rear have become hot twice since June. When it first happened, the 15th or 16th of June, I let it sit for a couple hours. I had to go somewhere else and constantly checked that area. No trouble. Been fine until today. I got it back to the house and I could smell and feel the heat. I do notice that the Jeep feels sluggish when it happens. I don’t feel any change to the braking or the feel of the pedal. I do notice it squeaks a lot when it’s happened. I did replace all the pads and the rear rotors over a year ago. Greased the slide pins, and the pad slides. No signs of a stuck piston or trouble with them. They both moved just fine to me. Didn’t have any issues until last month when it first happened.

I’m thinking the rubber hose to the caliper is rotting internally and causing this. Does that sound right?

black pearl

Hooked
yeah it seems from what your saying, something isn’t letting the pressure release when it should.
A bad hose isn’t out of the question, but might want to check the piston anyways.

Sgt_USMC

Thanks, I will definitely give it a look. There could be some corrosion or an issue with the piston seal. The releasing over a little time is what makes me think hoses.

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

That’s a good point! I didn’t check the e brake at all when I did the rotors. It grabs normal, but I will definitely give that a look too. I’m probably going to put it on stands this weekend and take a look at everything. Thank you WJCO!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As WJCO said easiest thing to check first would be the e brake. After that I suggest new hoses as they probably collapsed internally due to the heat and are not allowing the caliper to retract.

TrailHunter

Hooked
As WJCO said easiest thing to check first would be the e brake. After that I suggest new hoses as they probably collapsed internally due to the heat and are not allowing the caliper to retract.
What about bleeding the system? Could air in the line cause that?

Top Bottom