Body Mounted Tire Carrier Tips

Peak

I plan on building a tube tire carrier which would be mounted to the body. I have a design in mind just curious if you guys have any advice on how to securely mount it to the body. Thanks!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Companies spend a lot of time with r&d to get it right. I can't really think of a way. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. What design did you have in mind?

Peak

Not a problem, something like the GenRight carrier I like the how skinny it is but out a twist on it, I'm thinking about having a mount for Rotopax behind the tire as well like the OR-Fab but I'm not 100% sure it might stick out too much.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Getting it mounted on the passenger side like the genright or even or-fab carrier shouldn't be too difficult as they both tie into the tailgate hinge. Where you will have issues is on the driver side. You'll need to come up with a good way to secure the carrier to the quarter panel and in a way that can take the abuse.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Getting it mounted on the passenger side like the genright or even or-fab carrier shouldn't be too difficult as they both tie into the tailgate hinge. Where you will have issues is on the driver side. You'll need to come up with a good way to secure the carrier to the quarter panel and in a way that can take the abuse.

*insert picture of poison spider carrier with u bolt here.

Not like this either.

Ah2014jk

You're right on not being able to take the abuse. Got hit in a parking lot and my or-fab carrier is pooched. Not only that but it damaged the tailgate and drivers quarter in the process. I can just imagine the carnage had I come down hard onto a boulder or ledge. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426904308.179532.jpg

Peak

Thanks for the advice! That seems like it's going to be the hardest part of the project. Do you think some corner guards would help make it more secure?

David1tontj

Thanks for the advice! That seems like it's going to be the hardest part of the project. Do you think some corner guards would help make it more secure?

There's no doubt that corner guards would help. EVO uses corner skins- it basically spreads out the load.

Whatever you build, just make sure there is no play in it. If there is even the slightest wobble, a washboard road or whoops will just rip the whole thing to pieces. If you can get a mount up higher than normal, this will help. (still have two low mounts, but also at least one up higher to try to limit sloppiness.)

Post up some pics of your ideas.

I am a firm believer in sometimes it is worth the money to purchase something like this because it will save time and frustration. again this is just me. There would be nothing worse than going down the road after being on the trail and loosing your tire carrier. again a bit of an exaggeration but possible.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have seen two or three, maybe even four, knockoff Evo tire carriers and after seeing them I would have rather bought a Teraflex carrier. They all looked like they were going to break in half and kill a bus full of kids. No thanks.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have seen two or three, maybe even four, knockoff Evo tire carriers and after seeing them I would have rather bought a Teraflex carrier. They all looked like they were going to break in half and kill a bus full of kids. No thanks.

1/16" sheet metal and PVC pipes? Lol.

Christarp

Even with the one that was bolted on both sides? :cheesy:

Top Bottom