Big boy engine!!

LSX-Jeep

I was making over 900hp in my Silverado to the wheels with a bone stock 4.8 engine. I was using a T88 turbo and on top of the 900 it was already making I was throwing in a 150 shot of nitrous. After a 1.5 years and God knows how many dyno pulls and runs on the strip it finally gave way. What can I say I'm and Ls kind of guy. Dnt get me wrong though I love my Hell Cat but my Zr1 Corvette will walk all over it. What can I say, to each their own.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Oh they make mad power, just at a cost. I was comparing just dropping in stock engines. If you are going to mod them, the ls wins hands down due to aftermarket support if you want to save a bunch of money. My budy pulls over 1000 hp out of his 6.1 hemi in his magnum with a huge procharger so it can be done with the hemi too.

I'd hope your zr1 walks all over your hellcat. It weighs half as much lol. The hell cats are fun but the zr1s handle like they are on rails and ate light as hell :)

5280Sapper

I was making over 900hp in my Silverado to the wheels with a bone stock 4.8 engine. I was using a T88 turbo and on top of the 900 it was already making I was throwing in a 150 shot of nitrous. After a 1.5 years and God knows how many dyno pulls and runs on the strip it finally gave way. What can I say I'm and Ls kind of guy. Dnt get me wrong though I love my Hell Cat but my Zr1 Corvette will walk all over it. What can I say, to each their own.

lets play!!!!

Havoc40

Cool build. I'm an LS guy but have spent quite a bit of time recently with the Hemi. They'll both make a ton of power, but the Hemi does cost a lot more. I don't have any dyno results from the Hemi saved, but none look like the graph's below.

These are both small cam builds, with a nice set of cathedral ports. One is a SBE 346 the other is an LS3 based 416...both make a ton of torque! Like Scott was alluding to, the square port stuff just doesn't make it down low. Cathedral's are where it's at for a fat torque curve. With a cam suited for a Jeep, you can shift these curves down another 800-1,000 RPM (wouldn't make as much peak HP).

Steve Coleman Dyno.jpg
Sawyer Thompson 416.jpg

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Cool build. I'm an LS guy but have spent quite a bit of time recently with the Hemi. They'll both make a ton of power, but the Hemi does cost a lot more. I don't have any dyno results from the Hemi saved, but none look like the graph's below.

These are both small cam builds, with a nice set of cathedral ports. One is a SBE 346 the other is an LS3 based 416...both make a ton of torque! Like Scott was alluding to, the square port stuff just doesn't make it down low. Cathedral's are where it's at for a fat torque curve. With a cam suited for a Jeep, you can shift these curves down another 800-1,000 RPM (wouldn't make as much peak HP).

View attachment 180577
View attachment 180578

I'll take the 416 please :)

werks

lets play!!!!

Nice, a fellow vette track rat:thumb: Here's mine:

IMG_0562.jpg

Please keep us in the loop on the build as I'm interested to hear how it works out. I have a spare LS7 laying around that I was thinking might make for an interesting low cost swap into the JKU down the road but with the dry sump system and power band of that engine I'm not sure if it would be more hassle than it's worth!

Last edited:

5280Sapper

We have a mutual friend .. Floyd Nelson.. I recently sold him my Penske 9300's.. I'm getting out of racing.. Wanna do something my family can all be apart of..

werks

We have a mutual friend .. Floyd Nelson.. I recently sold him my Penske 9300's.. I'm getting out of racing.. Wanna do something my family can all be apart of..

Yep, I was hanging out with him a few weeks ago at the Toys for Tot's event our Vette club organizes and see him at the track all the time! I just had my first little one so I'm right there with you on trying to do something the family can all be a part of, which is the whole reason I picked up my Jeep! Looking around on-line I ran across this forum and noticed a lot of similarity between the guys on it as far as how they do runs and get together's (like the people in the vette world that I hang with and have become good friends with over the years). Now with the little one also around I'm looking for a similar type of community that we can all participate in and have fun with. I'm keeping the vette as there is nothing like the adrenaline rush that you get tracking it and I like instructing but I see us as a family doing a lot of camping, trail runs and so forth this summer with the Jeep :thumb:

CastleRockJeep

Strange how this all works out. Years ago I sold my motorcycle to buy a house, two kids later, almost 3 and 3 months later I went jeep so my family can join me. My dad has always had jeeps and I have great memories of all of them!

5280Sapper

Yeah I grew up off-roading too.. My brother has a TJ crawler and my dad once he retires finally in a few years they are gunna move out to Colorado buy some land and get a jeep as well.. He collects WWII army trucks now... But I'm retired and once he is we can do fun family Jeep things !!

5280Sapper

Yeah it's crazy!!! I'm glad I'm retired and stay home with her... Im sure see will have me wrapped up quickly around her finger!!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Sell the hemi and buy an LS style motor plus the trans of your choice and still have money to burn. The Hemi motors around me are twice the cost of the LS style motors.

Top Bottom