Beginner Toolkit

duktrx

Came together nicelyšŸ‘

I also like having a decent bottle jack. Wish I had one with a little bit bigger base to be honest.

I have a Tuffy cargo enclosure; what drove me nuts was the cutout for the factory sub; I don't have one; it felt insecure. My solution was to create a bottle jack base out of plate steel that doubles as a hole filler.

Last edited:

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Might sound like an odd question but after seeing it a couple times I really had to question it.
Why have a tool roll if all your going to do is store the tool roll in a box? Aka, a tool box.
I thought it was hilarious to see a guy in Sand Hollow lug out a nice Milwaukee box, just to pull out a tool roll.

Maybe Iā€™m just cheap but I run two boxes from HF. One for parts and fluid. Other for tools. How does he keep his tools separated you might ask? Gallon ziplocks and mini gear ties.

Back to the original question. Some good advice on needed tools. Iā€™ll vouch for the large sockets and an extended 1/2ā€ drive. No kit comes with the perfect combination but a few extra pieces with a good standard kit will do 95% of you needs. Couple rambling items: Chisel set, crow bar, 2lb sledge, spare fuses, spare hardware.

Love the extra storage these little boxes offered.

IMG_1012.jpeg

Why1504

Caught the Bug
I like bags better than boxes. When it comes to volume, you can manipulate bags better than boxes to utilize every inch of space. Packing a Jeep is like a Tetris game.
Word.
With bags, they take up a ton less room. they also tent to grip together and not move around much. In September my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Colorado for 2 weeks. I told her today, no giant suitcases. Soft bags and rolling duffle bags.

Might sound like an odd question but after seeing it a couple times I really had to question it.
Why have a tool roll if all your going to do is store the tool roll in a box? Aka, a tool box.
I thought it was hilarious to see a guy in Sand Hollow lug out a nice Milwaukee box, just to pull out a tool roll.

Maybe Iā€™m just cheap but I run two boxes from HF. One for parts and fluid. Other for tools. How does he keep his tools separated you might ask? Gallon ziplocks and mini gear ties.

Back to the original question. Some good advice on needed tools. Iā€™ll vouch for the large sockets and an extended 1/2ā€ drive. No kit comes with the perfect combination but a few extra pieces with a good standard kit will do 95% of you needs. Couple rambling items: Chisel set, crow bar, 2lb sledge, spare fuses, spare hardware.

Love the extra storage these little boxes offered.

View attachment 389677
Boxes just take up a fixed amount of space. They do not create any space!

tweeve

About 20 years ago I picked up a basic multi-set tool recovery kit. It was basically a metal tube (Cheater bar), an axe head, a Shovel head, a Pickaxe head, and a sledgehammer head. The Sledgehammer actually came in handy when I had my XJ a few times as I needed to do some quick on trail beating to get the front bumper back into place. The bag has seen better days and after 20 years does need to be replaced, I keep it in my JK for basic recovery gear, along with my other tools to do repairs on or off the trail.

About 20 years ago I picked up a basic multi-set tool recovery kit. It was basically a metal tube (Cheater bar), an axe head, a Shovel head, a Pickaxe head, and a sledgehammer head. The Sledgehammer actually came in handy when I had my XJ a few times as I needed to do some quick on trail beating to get the front bumper back into place. The bag has seen better days and after 20 years does need to be replaced, I keep it in my JK for basic recovery gear, along with my other tools to do repairs on or off the trail.
This sounds like some expensive "survival" tools that I have seen, where all of the tools/modes are vastly inferior to individual dedicated tools which added together do not cost much more than the wonder combo tool.

Do you have a photo of this multi-set recovery tool?

tweeve

This sounds like some expensive "survival" tools that I have seen, where all of the tools/modes are vastly inferior to individual dedicated tools which added together do not cost much more than the wonder combo tool.

Do you have a photo of this multi-set recovery tool?
Here are the photos. The kit was made my Rugged Ridge. As I said I picked it up about 20 years ago.

What I like about it, is that I can keep all the tools in one easy-to-move bag. While it may not be as convenient as a single use tool. Being multi-use I can keep the clutter down on how much extra gear I have to have on me.

Attachments

• 20230528_104836-2.jpg
    20230528_104836-2.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230528_104958-2.jpg
    20230528_104958-2.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 13
Here are the photos. The kit was made my Rugged Ridge. As I said I picked it up about 20 years ago.

What I like about it, is that I can keep all the tools in one easy-to-move bag. While it may not be as convenient as a single use tool. Being multi-use I can keep the clutter down on how much extra gear I have to have on me.
This looks like a real tool with interchangeable heads. Not a gimmick which claims it may save your life someday since it can both start a fire and barely chop wood.

I've decided to carry what I've used and what I know how to use.
One friend said to me that he takes the best tool with him every time he wheels. "FRIENDS"
Friends are great if you can find them. There is a theory that it is wise to bring things that you do not know how to use, since someone on location may know how to use them. This particularly applies to things like first aid kits.

Top Bottom